[comp.sys.amiga] Taking Amiga 3000 "On the Road".

In article <18239@snow-white.udel.EDU> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>   My message about taking the Amiga 3000 "on the road" to all of the
>technical universities is the first one I posted without getting any
>flames.  I must be inproving.

	Yes, you are! 8^>
	Actually, Commodore has taken the Amiga (I assume the
3000 will start being shown) on the road, but to a select group
of 8 colleges. Commodore is putting all their effort in there and
absolutely no effort anywhere else. This can be VERY frustrating,
I should know! I've been trying to get Commodore to come down
with little success. However, those 8 schools have gotten loads
of attention. I understand where Commodore is coming from,
however much I wish they'd chosen Columbia as one of the 8
schools. BTW, those 8 schools aleady have amigas in use
academically.

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

swann@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (stephen swann) (05/03/90)

In article <1990May2.041717.6352@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>	Actually, Commodore has taken the Amiga (I assume the
>3000 will start being shown) on the road, but to a select group
>of 8 colleges. Commodore is putting all their effort in there and
>of attention. I understand where Commodore is coming from,
>however much I wish they'd chosen Columbia as one of the 8
>schools. BTW, those 8 schools aleady have amigas in use
>academically.

Actually, it -does- make sense, doesn't it?  I know C= probably doesn't
have the resources to hit the entire college market at once, and it makes
sense for them to focus their attention, and hopefully achieve great
things in a few high profile schools.  The rest will soon find out, and
in all likelihood follow suit.

Sounds good to me.  How come my shcool's not one of the eight?  :-)

						Steve

-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-
\  "Speak to me in many voices; make  \   Steve Swann                       \
/     them all sound like one... "    /   v061q3x6@ubvmsa.bitnet            /
\               - Blue Oyster Cult    \   swann@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu    \
-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (05/03/90)

In article <18239@snow-white.udel.EDU>, BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barret>
>    At least two people wholeheartedly supported this idea, so it must
> be a good one.

Yeah. That's what Hitler said...

Regards Alan

gouty@rotelle.cis.ohio-state.edu (douglas walter gouty) (05/06/90)

	Being at one of these 8 target schools(In fact the original target
school) The Ohio State University, I have alittle insight on the subject.

	First of all Commodore has hired a person named Jim Sweeny(I think)
to go around to schools and show off the amiga.  He has been given two Ami
2500hd's to take with him.  I loaded some of the software that has been
developed by variouse departments here at OSU onto the machines the day of
the 3000 announcement.  I do not know if they are going to trade these
machines for 3000s but the 2500s were brand spanking new(boxs never opened)
when they got here so I doubt that they will be immadatly replaced with
3000s.  The purpose of this person and the machines is to show the amiga to
people who have not seen the amiga before so it will not be going to target
schools for the purpose of showing off the Ami.

	This leads to my secound point.  The target schools DO have a good
base of amiga users there.  The point of the target schools idea is to focus
resources in an area where they would be most usefull.  The reason that
schools with an existing base were chosen is that it is difficult enough to
get a adminisrtator to take the amiga seriously when he has proffs bugging
him about it.  Let alone where no one has an amiga.  So the the other part
of the target school thing is to push on the friendly enviroments and expand
them so you can attack these unfriendly enviroments with statements like
"OSU enginering graphics has a lab of 50 amiga 3000s installed, why don't
you take a look at it."

-=-
I will not waste chalk..I will not skateboard down the halls..I will not
burp in class..I will not instigate revolution..I will not draw naked ladies
in class..I did not see Elvis..I will not call my teacher "Hot Cakes"..
Garlic gum is not funny..They are Laughing at me, not with me.....