[comp.sys.amiga] arp.library file requester

scroll@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Steve Croll) (05/05/90)

Has any one noticed that the arp.library's file requester does not
seem to allow long path names (such as DH0:lc/Compiler_Headers/intuition/ )?
I use the arp.library with Rick Stiles's UEdit (V2.5D).  Just recently I
replaced my old arp.library with a newer one I found on FF302
(in the ProgUtils dir).  I do not know what version I have but the
library is 17100 bytes in size.  BTW I checked the protection bits and
everything seems OK; the read and execute bits are set.

Steve Croll (email: scroll@beach.cis.ufl.edu  home: 904-373-8389)

aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) (05/05/90)

In article <23114@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> scroll@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>Has any one noticed that the arp.library's file requester does not
>seem to allow long path names (such as DH0:lc/Compiler_Headers/intuition/ )?

Ya, I have the same problem when trying to read some files using
Arp's requestor.  Wonder if this is fixed in 2.0??

efinley%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Elliott Finley) (05/07/90)

In article <9596@chaph.usc.edu> aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) writes:
>In article <23114@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> scroll@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>>Has any one noticed that the arp.library's file requester does not
>>seem to allow long path names (such as DH0:lc/Compiler_Headers/intuition/ )?
>
>Ya, I have the same problem when trying to read some files using
>Arp's requestor.  Wonder if this is fixed in 2.0??

That seems to be a problem with the program calling the ARP requestor and not
ARP itself.  The author didn't allocate enough space for the name.  At least,
that's what it sounds like.

ecarroll@vax1.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) (05/07/90)

In article <9596@chaph.usc.edu>, aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) writes:
> In article <23114@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> scroll@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>>Has any one noticed that the arp.library's file requester does not
>>seem to allow long path names (such as DH0:lc/Compiler_Headers/intuition/ )?
>
> Ya, I have the same problem when trying to read some files using
> Arp's requestor.  Wonder if this is fixed in 2.0??

In fact, it seems to be fixed in ARP 1.3. Programs which use ArpAllocFreq()
to allocate the file request structure passed to ARP's FileRequest() function
automatically get directory names to 254 characters (as opposed to the
older 33 character limit which is what you seem to be running into). Programs
can also request this manually by setting the FR2F_LongPath bit in the
fr_Flags2 field of the request structure. Programs released before ARP 1.3
only pass a 33 byte buffer to FileRequest() to store the directory name in
so if it tried to store something longer there, it would probably trash
someone else's memory.

Followups directed to comp.sys.amiga.tech.
--
Eddy Carroll           ----* Genuine MUD Wizard  | "You haven't lived until
ecarroll@vax1.tcd.ie                             |    you've died in MUD!"