[comp.sys.amiga] File transfer Blues

fineberg@wums.wustl.edu (04/24/90)

In article <9580.262c98a8@ecs.umass.edu>, beer@ecs.umass.edu writes:
> I'm still having massive amounts of trouble getting files from an FTP site...
[symptoms deleted]
> It seems that when unzooing whenever zoo got to an executable file
> it said.....CRC error,..file probably corrupted(or something like this)
Have you tried sending a binary to your system and then getting it back?
My XModem seems to work but the file I get is shortened and corrputed.
When something gets unzooed it gives the CRC error.
	Charlie Fineberg	  BITnet: FINEBERG@WUMS
				internet: fineberg@wums2.wustl.edu

kim@watnow.waterloo.edu (T. Kim Nguyen) (05/03/90)

Are you guys sure you're setting BINARY mode (in ftp as well as in
xmodem)?  I've occasionally forgotten to do that, and the symptoms
were the same (shortened files, CRC errors, etc).
--
T. Kim Nguyen 				  kim@watnow.waterloo.{edu|cdn}
"The last thing I need is a f***ing 		kim@watnow.uwaterloo.ca

tulloh@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM (Robert Tulloh) (05/05/90)

I finally got a zmodem/ymodem/xmodem package installed on the system here
at work (Sun/Unix network). I was very happy at the prospect of dumping
kermit (too slow) for zmodem. Unfortunately, it seems that the zmodem
in my version of JRcomm .94a and the zmodem in the Unix package (sz) don't
want to talk. I have tried several attempts to download files, but the
d/l never gets off the ground. When I issue sz -b <file> from the Unix
prompt, JRcomm pulls up the zmodem d/l popup (good), but from there it
just piles up errors and then fizzles to a halt and aborts.

Now, before I get lots of mail about my zmodem setup, I have tried both
7 and 8 bit transfer and the file transfer type is binary. I tried to
use the xmodem send (sx) and got similar results.

Anybody out there know about this problem? I'd rather not try to
solve the problem if someone already has a fix/suggestion. Thanks in
advance for any help on this one!

Rob Tulloh

MCC, Deductive Computing      | ARPA :  tulloh@mcc.com | Phone: (512) 338-3704
3500 West Balcones Center Dr. | UUCP :  ...!cs.utexas.edu!hippo!cantor!tulloh
Austin, TX 78759              | GENIE: R.TULLOH
--

tulloh@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM (Robert Tulloh) (05/07/90)

In article <44@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM>, tulloh@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM (Robert Tulloh) writes:

> I finally got a zmodem/ymodem/xmodem package installed on the system here
> at work (Sun/Unix network). I was very happy at the prospect of dumping
> kermit (too slow) for zmodem. Unfortunately, it seems that the zmodem
> in my version of JRcomm .94a and the zmodem in the Unix package (sz) don't
> want to talk. I have tried several attempts to download files, but the
> d/l never gets off the ground......... <stuff deleted>

Well, I can happily say that I figured out the answer to this problem.
The problem turned out to be a networking problem. The zmodem package
was installed on one of the Sun servers which I access all day long at
work. Unfortunately, remote access from my house goes through a different
machine which is not a Sun. This meant rlogging into my W/S to access
the zmodem package. Apparently the two programs don't talk when there
is an intermediate rlogin or telnet to another machine (probably obvious
to some, but not immediately to me). Anyhow, I copied the package to
the gateway server, recompiled them package, and voila! Perfect 228 char/sec
performance with zmodem (I have never been so happy).

Much thanks to those that e-mailed me with suggestions.

Rob Tulloh
MCC, Deductive Computing      | INET :  tulloh@mcc.com | Phone: (512) 338-3704