[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga emulation on Sega Genesis

pete%slack.uucp@cs.utah.edu (Pete Ashdown) (05/06/90)

This is, without a doubt, possibly the *weirdest* thing I've seen in a long
time.  What follows is the exact copy of an article in the April issue (do
they do April fools stuff in England?) of Computer & Video Games, a UK games
magazine.  These guys _always_ come out with the news before any of the
American mags get around to it, and they are always pretty reliable.  They
promise more info on this hardware device in the future, but all I know about
it is what follows:

A-MIGA-DRIVE
What seemed like just another humdrum fax quickly became one of the hottest
news pieces to come our way for a long time.  DevTek Co, a Japanese hardware
firm have revealed a brand new device which lets Megadrive [Sega Genesis]
owners download Amiga software to their machine using special battery backed
D-RAM cartridges.

The A-migaDrive which slips comfortably into the expansion port of the Amiga
[they show it with a 500] consists of two custom chips and a special
translational maths coprocessor which converts the Amiga 68000 code into a
form which the Megadrive's own 68000 processor can understand.  To get this
amazing piece of hardware to work, the user simply has to plug it into the
Amiga, switch on, let it boot into the operating system (it takes about 3
seconds), then, when prompted, place a game disk (only games on one or two
full disks work - anymore than that and you get a memory overflow error) into
the Amiga - AmigaDrive does the rest by pulling the code off the disk and
squeezing it into a 2-Meg battery backed RAM cartridge, which can then be
plugged into the Megadrive and played - just like any other Sega cartridge.
The sound is the same (both machines use FM sound chips), and the graphics
are virtually spot-on, apart from some degradation on HAM mode pictures.
This means that if you have an Amiga-owning friend, you can increase your
collection of Megadrive software from dozens to as many games as you can get
special cartridges.  And the price?  Not absolutely confirmed as yet, but
DevTek are hopeful that the Amiga-Drive will retail at 42,000 Yen, around
165 pounds, and the special cartridges cost around 3200 Yen - about 13 pounds.
We've been promised a finished model for a full review, hopefully by next
month. Keep your fingers firmly crossed - this one's going to be enourmous!

[Pictures shown, the A-miga-Drive itself, the A-Miga-Drive plugged into a 500
with the caption "The A-migadrive, in all its colour co-ordinated glory. A
small switch on the front of the casing locks the special cartridge into
position, while a button on the back begins the dumping process."  Then two
pictures of TV Sports Basketball with the caption "Even the latest software
can be transferred from the Amiga to Megadrive!  Notice the slight change in
picture quality, from this... to this.  Because of the difference in video
outputs between the two machines, the converted game appears stretched and,
in some cases, colour is distored slightly."]

Now, this all seems slightly believable.  However, they make a few boo-boos
in their article.  The bit about "translational math coprocessor" makes me
wonder as well as the idea that the Amiga and the Genesis having the same
sound chips (the Amiga handles digitized sound MUCH better than the Genesis).
The part about a memory overflow error for more than two disks sounds hokey
too.  If they don't want you to download more than two disks, why do they
prompt you for them?  Anyway, I thought it was an interesting article, I
know everyone here will too.  I'll post if I manage to get anymore info on
it.

---
Pete Ashdown

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (05/07/90)

In article <1990May6.103142.10138@hellgate.utah.edu>, pete%slack.uucp@cs.utah.edu (Pete Ashdown) writes...

>This is, without a doubt, possibly the *weirdest* thing I've seen in a long
>time.  What follows is the exact copy of an article in the April issue (do
>they do April fools stuff in England?) of Computer & Video Games, a UK games
>magazine.  These guys _always_ come out with the news before any of the
>American mags get around to it, and they are always pretty reliable.  They
>promise more info on this hardware device in the future, but all I know about
>it is what follows:

O.K. It's weird enough, all right.

(lotsa stuff deleted)
>This means that if you have an Amiga-owning friend, you can increase your
>collection of Megadrive software from dozens to as many games as you can get
>special cartridges.  And the price?  Not absolutely confirmed as yet, but

I hope this isn't saying what I think it is.

| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi      DoD #00000064 (no ints here)   |

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (05/07/90)

Yes this was an April Fools article from England, looks like
they got at least one :-)
-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

robin@sabre.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (05/07/90)

In article <1990May6.103142.10138@hellgate.utah.edu> pete%slack.uucp@cs.utah.edu (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>A-MIGA-DRIVE
>What seemed like just another humdrum fax quickly became one of the hottest
>news pieces to come our way for a long time.  DevTek Co, a Japanese hardware
>firm have revealed a brand new device which lets Megadrive [Sega Genesis]
>owners download Amiga software to their machine using special battery backed
>D-RAM cartridges.

Uh... wouldn't this be software piracy?

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmchs!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<-MUST BE INCLUDED|