[comp.sys.amiga] Apple vs. Commodore : Networking.

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/03/90)

Someone I know is being FORCED to setup a Mac network where he works.  I've
got all the literature on Apple with regards to their networking.  75% of it
is based on AppleTalk and LocalTalk which is SLOW!

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

tulloh@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM (Robert Tulloh) (05/03/90)

(I refuse to even consider leaving the keywords section of this post intact)

A simple point. We had nothing, now we have something. Something is better
than nothing and when the something includes Ethernet, you can most
certainly count me among the happy Amiga users. While it is true to say
that Commodore has not leapt into the lead with networking products,
they have to start somewhere. Personally, and I think I speak for many
others, I think they are starting off on the right foot.

Nuff said!

Rob Tulloh

UUCP :	...!uunet!mcc.com!tulloh
ARPA :	tulloh@mcc.com
Genie:	R.TULLOH

GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (05/03/90)

     Let's not forget the one big advantage of AppleTalk:  It's easy!
 Running cables is the only hard part.  The hardware comes standard,
 and lots of software supports it.  Sure it's slow.  Sure you can't
 boot off it.  But since when has industry cared about performance?

     I'd love it if there were two standard networks for the Amiga.
 One quick-and-dirty/cheap way, and one serious network.  We have the
 serious networks.

     I mentioned before CarrierNET, which has got to be the ultimate
 quick-and-dirty network.  I read a one page review.  Has anyone seen
 it running?  All it is is a plug to your serial port, and a plug to
 the wall.  Quick, dirty, and slow.  And cheap.

     I have a friend who is starting to like Macs because he can play
 a silly game on it that uses AppleTalk.  Net Trek, or something like
 that.  He doesn't like the Amiga because he used to live with someone
 who has his set up real bad.  Down because of virus' and couldn't get
 anything to work on it  (he never upgraded to 1.3, but that's another
 story).

 ----
      F. Michael Theilig  -  The University of Rhode Island at Little Rest
                            GWO110 at URIACC.Bitnet

"To paraphrase Heinlein, He's a Stranger and a Strange Man."

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/03/90)

Let's not also forget that while C= may not have jumped out in front with
networking, in terms of performance (10mbs has been standard for ethernet for
quite some time), can you get an Apple Ethernet card for under $400?  C= has
taken the lead in price for a high-speed network.

And did you check out the price for the Novell client software...almost too
good to be true.

steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) (05/04/90)

In article <2510@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
]
]Let's not also forget that while C= may not have jumped out in front with
]networking, in terms of performance (10mbs has been standard for ethernet for
]quite some time), can you get an Apple Ethernet card for under $400?  C= has
]taken the lead in price for a high-speed network.

Not really.. I can get a ethernet board for my PC clone for under $200.

As well, of the 8 manufactures of ethernet boards for the Mac II that I can
think of, many boards are available for under $400.

]And did you check out the price for the Novell client software...almost too
]good to be true.
]
]////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
]  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
]  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
]  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
]                                               |   weave a paradise for
]  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
]      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats
]                                               |
]  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

allen@grebyn.com (Allen Farrington) (05/04/90)

  I hear that Appletalk is free with all Mac's, to bad you
gotta pay for the keyboard.  And don't flame me, I do know
why the keyboard is priced separately.

  Let's kill this thread, the bottom line is you get what you
pay for.

  --Allen
|------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------|                    -Mr. Spock

lhummel@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Lionel Hummel) (05/04/90)

In article <24417@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> [ ... ]
> Join the mac groups if you are intersted in "old" and slow technology like
> AppleTalk. Commodore made the right decision to go with Ethernet (used
> practically everywhere from micros to worksations) and Arcnet, which is
> the major player with Novell in the MS-DOS market.  These markets are much
> larger than the AppleTalk market, and CBM can be commended for a wise decision.
> [ ... ]
> -- Marco

Commodore will be doing the right thing when they start shipping
Ethernet and Arcnet, but Marco, don't be so quick to bash Appletalk.

Appletalk is a major reason why Apple succeeded at "defining" desktop
publishing.  You say it was things like square pixels, Pagemaker, and
the Laserwriter?  Well perhaps so, but Appletalk broke down the price
barrier for buying a laser printer.  Laser printers have tended to
cost more than any individual machine using them.

By giving you networking (at a fraction of the cost of Ethernet), you
can seamlessly split the cost of one LaserWriter among many users in a
building.  THAT IS NOTHING TO SNEEZE AT, MARCO.  Yes, Appletalk is a
loser in price/performance (unless its compared agaist RS-232), but
it is a winner in price/solution.  I'll laugh at anyone doing file
sharing over AppleTalk, but if you're just sharing printers or running
Telnet and maybe a little FTP'ing, Appletalk is a cost-effective
answer that you can see applied in schools and businesses all over the
place.
--
                                      < Lionel
-----------

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (05/04/90)

In article <6470@umd5.umd.edu> steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:
>In article <2510@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
[...]
>]quite some time), can you get an Apple Ethernet card for under $400?  C= has
>]taken the lead in price for a high-speed network.
>
>Not really.. I can get a ethernet board for my PC clone for under $200.

You may be able to get an ethernet board for a PC for great price,
but have you ever tried USING one?

I would rather use Dnet/nfs at 19200 baud than have to use a PC with
PC-NFS trying to run at the same time that I am trying to do much of
anything else. (Ok, maybe not quite that bad)

Seriously, not much of anything of substance can co-exist with
PC-NFS on even an AT.

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

enforcer@pawl.rpi.edu (Paul J Stewart) (05/04/90)

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>I would rather use Dnet/nfs at 19200 baud than have to use a PC with

I'm not joining this war on either side;  I'm just info hunting.  We here
at RPI (or, at least, yours truly) have not been able to figure out what
the hell that NFS: needs to work.  From what I understand, it should allow
file sharing between the Amiga and the host computer.  However, after start-
ing DNet and mounting NFS: I have had no success with using this device for
anything except generating neat little error statements.  Any hints on how
to get it working, or am I mistaken about this device?

--

------------------------+--------------+-----------------------+----------------
Sigfile: Invalid device | Paul Stewart | enforcer@pawl.rpi.edu | Rawcoldsigfile!------------------------+--------------+-----------------------+----------------

In article <26079@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>In article <6470@umd5.umd.edu> steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:
>>In article <2510@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>[...]
>>]quite some time), can you get an Apple Ethernet card for under $400?  C= has
>>]taken the lead in price for a high-speed network.
>>
>>Not really.. I can get a ethernet board for my PC clone for under $200.
>
>You may be able to get an ethernet board for a PC for great price,
>but have you ever tried USING one?

That is exatcly my point...  The price of the card in a non-issue.
(the pc analogy always works)

[ deleted stuff about how much we all hate pc's :-) ]

--
What do these names have in common?
Bob, Flo, Augie, Curtis, Gordon, Rick, Rhonda, Meep, Bismark, Skip, and Harry

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (05/04/90)

>>>Not really.. I can get a ethernet board for my PC clone for under $200.

Yeah, but you'll only be getting an 8 bit card.  Amiga ethernet boards are
16 bit.  Also, you will need software.  That is where the real price comes in.
A good 16 bit ethernet will cost around the same amount that C= is coming out
with their boards for.  C='s software prices are great.

				See ya, Ralph

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@goliath.eecs.umich.edu   Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
11010 Lighthouse Dr. #234  | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Belleville, MI 48111       | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 697-1048

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (05/05/90)

I don't hate PC's.  My Amiga is a PC.  I think we need to change the
nickname of the IBM-MSDOS-type of PC.  MSDOS? Clone? XT/AT?  Something
other than just 'PC' since 'PC' means 'Personal Computer' and my Amiga
is a very personal computer.  Personable even.

Dana etc. cup.portal.com   :)

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:

|Marc , I am one of those guys that defends you every now and then. And I try
|to be patient ...

|BUT GET YOUR **** OUT OF YOUR **** and >THINK<.

|With a Ethernet card, and TCP/IP you can go anywhere in the world... and all
|you need are >TWO< products.

Er, one correction: that's "OUT OF YOUR ***" not "****". Other than that
we agree totally. Please watch the asterisks :-)

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                     | PH: (502) 968-DISK