[comp.sys.amiga] RAM

martens@cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (12/23/88)

Does anyone have any expreience with or opinions regarding Spirit Technology's
1.5MB internal memory in an A1000?  How much will it tax the power supply?
Are the chips socketed?

--Jeff	(martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

bah@tippy.uucp (12/24/88)

I've had mine for 3 months now with absolutely no problems. Bought it
with 0k and filled it with my own rams. You can make it 512, 1 meg. or
1.5 meg. Also has clock. Good documentation and easy to install. I
would recommend it anytime.

     Bob Hahn       .....ihnp4!itivax!duncan!bah

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (12/24/88)

In article <29965@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> martens@cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) writes:

>Does anyone have any expreience with or opinions regarding Spirit Technology's
>1.5MB internal memory in an A1000?  How much will it tax the power supply?
>Are the chips socketed?

It works. I have one in my A1000. It is a little bit flakey it seems. (I get
more crashes there than on my A2000 with the same programs - but not a lot
more crashes.) It is not so bad that I have removed the board. That A1000
supply is currently supporting two SB2's (one with MFM and one withStarDrive)
and the Spirit Tech board. I have saved about a watt by switching to a CMOS
68000 chip in it. (THat chip also solves lots of PALish problems as well.)

I cannot recommend the Spirit Tech board. But neither can I recommend against
it. Your mileage may differ.

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
					quit playing with dragons and knights.

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (12/27/88)

>opinions regarding Spirit Technology's 1.5MB internal memory in an A1000?

I have one in mine, it works well.  I used to have two
slap-on-the-side cards (memory and hard disk) but I had so many
problems with machine crashes that I gave the memory board to my wife
and installed an Insider.  Now that I have only one external device, I
don't have lots of mysterious crashes.  Since it also has a clock, I
was able to get rid of my A-time too.

>How much will it tax the power supply?

Not enough to worry about it.  The A1000 power supply is thankfully
overbuilt.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
Have five nice days.

In <10903@swan.ulowell.edu>, page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>>opinions regarding Spirit Technology's 1.5MB internal memory in an A1000?
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I have one in mine, it works well.  I used to have two
>slap-on-the-side cards (memory and hard disk) but I had so many
>problems with machine crashes that I gave the memory board to my wife
>and installed an Insider.  Now that I have only one external device, I
                  ^^^^^^^
>don't have lots of mysterious crashes.  Since it also has a clock, I
>was able to get rid of my A-time too.

Please! Spirit Technology does NOT make the Insider. The Insider is from
Michigan Software, and is a completely different beast.

>>How much will it tax the power supply?
>
>Not enough to worry about it.  The A1000 power supply is thankfully
>overbuilt.

This is right, and the Insider will not tax the power supply of the A1000. I
can't speak for the Spirit Tech board, because I have no direct experience with
it, nor do I know anyone who has one in an A1000.  The Spirit Technology board
for the A500 is another story altogether, and many problems have arisen from
the A500 power supply (reported, not from experience). Michigan Software does
not (and will not) produce an Insider for the the A500 for a number of very
good technical reasons.

So, the question about taxing the power supply probably stems from the problems
with the A500.

--
"Intelligent CPU?  I thought you said Intel CPU!"
        -Anonymous IBM designer-

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (12/30/88)

I wrote I have a Spirit Technology 'Insider' board.

lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) reminded the world
Spirit don't make the Insider.

I don't know what the name is.  I have a 1.5MB ram board with clock,
fully populated, from Spirit Tech in my A1000.  Works great, less filling.

..Bob
--

lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>I think the 256K*4 parts cost about $10-11 each, and the 1meg*4 cost about $75.
>Your mileage may vary.

Er, Larry, I hope that's $75 for a full megabyte of RAM, not per chip :-)

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                     | PH: (502) 968-DISK

In <1766@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>
>>I think the 256K*4 parts cost about $10-11 each, and the 1meg*4 cost about $75.
>>Your mileage may vary.
>

>Er, Larry, I hope that's $75 for a full megabyte of RAM, not per chip :-)

No, that's $75 per chip.  Note that the 1meg*4 parts are 4 megabit chips, as
opposed to the 256K*4 parts, which are 1 megabit chips. This means that to buy
1 megaBYTE of ram (assuming the above prices), would cost you:

- in 1 meg parts, $10 * 8 = $80
- in 4 meg parts, $75 * 2 = $150

What can I say.. the 4 meg parts are VERY new, just having appeared on the
general market in the past month or two.

-larry

--
NeXT. The hardware makes it a PC. The software makes it a workstation.
      The units shipped makes it a mainframe.  -=stolen from Hazy=-

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (05/07/90)

In article <1766@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>>I think the 256K*4 parts cost about $10-11 each,and the 1meg*4 cost about $75
>>Your mileage may vary.

>Er, Larry, I hope that's $75 for a full megabyte of RAM, not per chip :-)

Nope, the 4 Mbit chips are selling for about 2X the price of the 1 Mbit
chips, in $/Mbyte.  The full production rates probably won't be reached
until sometime this fall.  Then the prices should drop dramatically (I
hope).  I think the best thing to do is get a 3000 now, then populate
the motherboard with 4 Mbit chips around Christmas-time.  Yeah, an 18-Meg
machine.  What a concept ;^).

--
--Steve      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own (I don't speak for Convex)
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM