[comp.sys.amiga] Chemistry Journal with Disks wants Programs.

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) (05/08/90)

	Here is something that I think may be of interest to those
Amiga users who have mentioned the lack of scientific programs for
the Amiga, as well as those who think that the Amiga can hold its
own in the scientific community.  I read an article in sci.chem
about a magazine called Tetrahedron Computer Methodology, a chemistry
journal which publishes programs in the field of chemistry.  I sent
the article which is quoted at the beginning of the following
correspondence to the author of the posted article (W. Todd Wipke).
The following is the response I received.  In essence, I noted
the lack of NON-IBM material in the issues I saw.  The response
notes that Amiga oriented programs (and Amiga format disks) could
become available if enough were submitted.  So if you have a good
or interesting scientific package for the Amy, here is a CHANCE
to get it published and out to the chemistry community.

From:	SECS::WIPKE        "W. Todd Wipke"  5-MAY-1990 11:36:02.32
To:	MX%"sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu"
CC:	WIPKE
Subj:	Re: Collection of Graphics Algorithms

> 	I am a graduate chemistry student and I have seen an issue
> of this magazine.  I was personally upset that the disks were IBM
> format only.  No mention was given to Mac or Amiga (my computer)
> format disks being available.  This is bad judgement on the part
> of the journal, IMHO.  Even though IBM's and clones are prevalent
> in academic and industrial science labs, they are far from the
> best platform for scientific visualization, especially ray tracing
> (mentioned above), where many colors are required to reproduce
> realistic images (the Amiga has 8-10 ray tracing packages available
> for it).  And graphic manipulation on IBM's (and even Mac's) takes
> serious cpu time (the Amiga uses custom graphics chips to do most of
> the graphics work).  So, please do not just be another platform for
> the proliferation of IBM PC's in science.  Give the other platforms
> a chance as well, especially those which are better suited to heavily
> graphic oriented work.
>
> Scott Sutherland
> sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

  Thank you for your opinion.  If your university had subscribed to
Tetrahedron Computer Methodology, then in the second issue you would have
noticed that beginning with vol 2, issue 1 (the fourth issue), Mac disks
were included also and that issue carried a very nice chemical drawing
package.  Although TCM publishes with MAC disks too, there are few
papers submitted with Mac applications in chemistry.  There have been
papers submitted for vax, sun PHIGS, some for the Mac, and lots for the
IBM.  Nobody has submitted any paper that used the Amiga that I can recall.
  Thus if we had published Amiga disks, they would be empty except for
the ascii versions of the papers.  One of my graduate students has an
amiga and is distressed to find there are no chemistry programs that he
can find, so he is considering putting in an IBM PC coprocessor to be
able to run IBM PC programs!  The ray tracing algorithm that is being
published in TCM is for the SGI.  Thus, you can see that the fact that
TCM is published with IBM and Mac disks does not restrict what programs
can be published.  Most people can figure out how to transfer programs
from one machine to another, we tried to select the most common disk
formats for publishing.
  You can receive the table of contents by sending to fileserv@TCM.ucsc.edu
a one-line message which says LIST INDEX or in the case of the contents
of TCM, LIST CONTENTS.  That will show you the various packages available
and to get the package send a message SENDME CONTENTS.V2N1TCM for example
to get volume 2 number 1 contents.  Similarly you can get the instructions
for authors by LIST INSTR to see what instructions are available and then
request the packages you are interested in.
  Can the Amiga read IBM disks?  Do you know how to transfer files from
an IBM to an Amiga?  If there is chemical software for the Amiga maybe
you would like to write a review article listing it all and describing
it critically, and where possible we could include it on disk.  What are
the sources of information about Amiga activities.  Perhaps you would like
to post some information to TCM-ONLINE@TCM.ucsc.edu to let others know.
  I am neutral regarding hardware--I publish good science and encourage
authors of good programs to publish them.  I encourage you to spread the
word that Amiga contributions are welcome and to get people to submit papers
where the Amiga is the machine used.  Further, realize that often source
code is published, so you can transfer the programs for an IBM to the
amiga yourself.
  TCM is the first scientific journal in any discipline to be published
with disks--it is trying to provide you the computer chemist with better
scientific papers in the field of computer chemistry.  We would appreciate
your help, papers, and subscription.

Best regards,
W. Todd Wipke                           wipke@secs.ucsc.edu
Molecular Engineering Laboratory        wipke@ucscd.ucsc.edu
Thimann Laboratories                    wipke@ucscd.bitnet
University of California                BBS 408 429-8019
Santa Cruz, CA  95064                   FAX 408 459-4716
=============   TCM-Online@TCM.UCSC.EDU  SUBSCRIBE  ===================