[comp.sys.amiga] A1950

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (05/02/90)

In <11177@cbmvax.commodore.com>, hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood)
writes:
>       [...]
> The 1950 is just a very good multiscan monitor.
>
> Scott

  Can you supply any quantitative info?
  I am wondering about:
    Screen Size
    Resolution
    Dot Pitch
    Vertical Frequency (Range)
    Horizontal Frequency (Range)
    BandWidth
    Phosphor Type
    Tilt Swivel Base
    Anything else you think is relevant...

    <-Harvey

    PS.
    I don't suppose you want to tell us who OEM'ed it for you? ;-)

 "Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits
                         is, of course, in a state of sin." -Von Neumann
  Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
  uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
  a186@mindlink.UUCP

rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert J. Tatz) (05/03/90)

In article <1625@mindlink.UUCP> a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:

>  Can you supply any quantitative info [ about the 1950 monitor ] ?
>  I am wondering about:
>    Screen Size
     ...etc.
>    Anything else you think is relevant...
>
>    <-Harvey

  Screen size - 14" diagonal
  Resolution  - 800 dot (H) x 600 Lines (V)
  Pitch       - 0.31 mm
  Deflection  - 90 degrees

  Scanning: Horiz - 15-36 KHz
            Vert  - 50-80 Hz

  Signal - analog RGB and digital RGBI
  Connectors - DB-15 (VGA) and adapters for Amiga DB-23 and DB-9

  Swivel base

 With the A3000, all screen modes seem to work - 1280 x 400 (1440x480 overscan)
 and 640 x 960 and others.  The A3000 can put out a 640x480 16 color
 deinterlaced screen with the A1950 hooked up (standard VGA mode).

DPaint III is super fast on the 25MHz A3000, but it loses the menu bar on
overscan.  It doesn't die though since keyboard commands still work.

.std disclaimer
Bob          rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu

eric@oakhill.UUCP (Eric Quintana) (05/04/90)

>>  Can you supply any quantitative info [ about the 1950 monitor ] ?

>  Resolution  - 800 dot (H) x 600 Lines (V)
>
> With the A3000, all screen modes seem to work - 1280 x 400 (1440x480 overscan)
> and 640 x 960 and others.

I'm confused.  How does 1280 x 400 work on a monitor that only has 800 dots
horizontal resolution?  Is the screen cropped?

>Bob          rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu

Eric Quintana

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (05/04/90)

In article <1625@mindlink.UUCP> a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:
>In <11177@cbmvax.commodore.com>, hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood)
>writes:
>>       [...]
>> The 1950 is just a very good multiscan monitor.
>>
>> Scott
>
>  Can you supply any quantitative info?
>  I am wondering about:
>    Screen Size
>    Resolution
>    Dot Pitch
>    Vertical Frequency (Range)
>    Horizontal Frequency (Range)
>    BandWidth
>    Phosphor Type
>    Tilt Swivel Base
>    Anything else you think is relevant...
>
>    <-Harvey
>
>    PS.
>    I don't suppose you want to tell us who OEM'ed it for you? ;-)
>
> "Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits
>                         is, of course, in a state of sin." -Von Neumann
>  Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
>  uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
>  a186@mindlink.UUCP

Yes I think that I can help. Here are the specs out of the manual:

CRT: 14" (13" viewable), 90 degree deflection, 29mm neck, 0.31mm dot
     pitch non-glare screen.

Display Color:
TTL input - 8/16/64 colors
Analog - Unlimited colors

Input Signal:
Video - TTL level positive
        Analog 0.5-0.7Vp-p/75 ohm positive
Sync. - Separate sync. TTL level
        Horizonital sync. positive/negative
        Vertical sync. positive/negative

        Composite sync. TTL level positive/negative
        Composite sync, on green video sync.
        0.3Vp-p negative

Synchronization:
Horizontal - 15Khz to 35Khz automatically
Vertical - 50Hz to 80Hz automatically

Resolution:  800x600 max.
Video Bandwidth: 30Mhz (-3 dB)

Miscovergence:
Center    0.3mm max.
Corner    0.5mm max.

Power:
Switching mode power supply
          AC 90V-132V or 180V-265V, 50Hz/60Hz

Operating Temperate: -5 C to 40 C ambient

Weight: 12.4 Kgs (net)

It has a front mounted power switch, tilt-swivel base, side panel
controls with overcan/normal switch, v-size, v-hold, h-center, v-center,
brightness and contrast controls, and a text switch.

The A1950 Multiscan monitor also comes with a DB15 VGA connector on the
cable, a 15-pin to 9-pin adaptor for devices that require NEC multisync
pinouts and a 23-pin to 15-pin adaptor for all Amiga models

List Price: less than $800 and can be used with our Amigas or PC
            products alike.

Scott (tired fingers) Hood

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (05/04/90)

In article <3244@rorschach.oakhill.UUCP> eric@rorschach.UUCP (Eric Quintana) writes:
>>  Resolution  - 800 dot (H) x 600 Lines (V)
>>
>> With the A3000, all screen modes seem to work - 1280 x 400 (1440x480 overscan)
>> and 640 x 960 and others.
>
>I'm confused.  How does 1280 x 400 work on a monitor that only has 800 dots
>horizontal resolution?  Is the screen cropped?

No, what happens is that the Amiga's pixels are too narrow horizontally
to be individually perceivable.  At the 1280 X nnn resolutions, if you
light one pixel of a color, you won't necessarily see it and be able to
tell it's color.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

In article <3244@rorschach.oakhill.UUCP> eric@rorschach.UUCP (Eric Quintana) writes:
>>>  Can you supply any quantitative info [ about the 1950 monitor ] ?

>I'm confused.  How does 1280 x 400 work on a monitor that only has 800 dots
>horizontal resolution?  Is the screen cropped?

Most monitors are horizontally analog, in that there are an infinite number of
possible dot positions across the screen.  For example, video compatible monitors
like the 1080.

That's not to say that the average monitor is fast enough to resolve the associated
pixel changes if you're trying to read text at that resolution, though the 1080s
I've seen this on do a fair job.

You've seen this effect before, though you may not notice it.  If you've ever
compared Amiga video titling to the kind you see on "Wide World of Sports" or
other TV shows, the Amiga occasionally comes up lacking.  That's because it is
spitting out 720 or do dots/line (assuming overscan).  Really good titling
boxes spit out about 1400 dot/line, and I've heard some are even going to 2000
something.  You know you can't even read 640 dot computer text on a TV, but
what you can see on a TV is accurate but widely spaced high resolution pixel
changes.  What this means in plain terms is, in 1400 dots/line mode (again
assuming interlace), Amiga titles will look much less jaggy than they do in
720 dots/line mode.

I guess the main point of the ECS Denise was to give you a cheap 640x480
31kHz non-interlaced display that could drop into any A500/A2000.  The
640x960 31kHz interlaced and the 1200xN 15kHz modes were sort of side
effects.  At least the latter have some real uses on the Amiga, but they're
not the CAD-type uses folks think of when you mention "1200xN".

>Eric Quintana

	"I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit" -REM

rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert J. Tatz) (05/04/90)

In article <3244@rorschach.oakhill.UUCP> eric@rorschach.UUCP (Eric Quintana) writes:
>>>  Can you supply any quantitative info [ about the 1950 monitor ] ?
>
>>  Resolution  - 800 dot (H) x 600 Lines (V)
>>Bob          rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
>
>I'm confused.  How does 1280 x 400 work on a monitor that only has 800 dots
>horizontal resolution?  Is the screen cropped?
>Eric Quintana

I was quoting the CBM spec sheet for the A1950 monitor.  I admit to being
confused to the quoted resolution versus the observed resolution.  The
1280 x 400 mode looks OK on the screen.  My guess is the horizontal resolution
is actually 1600 dots with faster pixels.  The 640 x 960 resolution has the
Workbench screen kinda falling off the corners.  So maybe someone with
more technical experience with "definitions" of resolution might have a
better idea of the quoted resolution versus the actual.

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (05/05/90)

In article <3244@rorschach.oakhill.UUCP> eric@rorschach.UUCP (Eric Quintana) writes:
>>>  Can you supply any quantitative info [ about the 1950 monitor ] ?
>
>>  Resolution  - 800 dot (H) x 600 Lines (V)
>>
>> With the A3000, all screen modes seem to work - 1280 x 400 (1440x480 overscan)
>> and 640 x 960 and others.
>
>I'm confused.  How does 1280 x 400 work on a monitor that only has 800 dots
>horizontal resolution?  Is the screen cropped?
>
>>Bob          rjtatz@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
>
>Eric Quintana

I think you are confused.  Think of the monitor in terms of dot pitch
and video bandwidth.  Since the 1280 mode (more with overscan) the
pixels are 35nS in width (~28.6Mhz) and the 30Mhz bandwidth of the 1950
is quite up the task of showing the `Superhires' video modes.

Scott

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>I guess the main point of the ECS Denise was to give you a cheap 640x480
>31kHz non-interlaced display that could drop into any A500/A2000.  The
>640x960 31kHz interlaced and the 1200xN 15kHz modes were sort of side
>effects.  At least the latter have some real uses on the Amiga, but they're
>not the CAD-type uses folks think of when you mention "1200xN".

What about if you use a monitor that is capable of displaying that high of
a resolution? Does it become CAD usable then? I am thinking of the multisync
3D by NEC, it should handle it. I use it at 1024 X 768 resolution all the
time on my Compaq with AutoCAD. But it may not be able to go down to
15Khz. But I am sure there are some monitors out there that can handle it.
Or maybe Microway will come out with a new version of their flicker fixer.
That will boost the frequency to 31Khz or so.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                     | PH: (502) 968-DISK

wahlmann@m.cs.uiuc.edu (05/08/90)

/* Written  5:13 pm  May  3, 1990 by hood@cbmvax.commodore.com in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.amiga */
In article <1625@mindlink.UUCP> a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:
>In <11177@cbmvax.commodore.com>, hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood)
>writes:
>>       [...]
>> The 1950 is just a very good multiscan monitor.
>>
>> Scott
>
>  Can you supply any quantitative info?
>  I am wondering about:
>    Screen Size
>    Resolution
>    Dot Pitch
>    Vertical Frequency (Range)
>    Horizontal Frequency (Range)
>    BandWidth
>    Phosphor Type
>    Tilt Swivel Base
>    Anything else you think is relevant...
>
>    <-Harvey
>
>    PS.
>    I don't suppose you want to tell us who OEM'ed it for you? ;-)
>
> "Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits
>                         is, of course, in a state of sin." -Von Neumann
>  Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
>  uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
>  a186@mindlink.UUCP

Yes I think that I can help. Here are the specs out of the manual:

CRT: 14" (13" viewable), 90 degree deflection, 29mm neck, 0.31mm dot
     pitch non-glare screen.

Display Color:
TTL input - 8/16/64 colors
Analog - Unlimited colors

Input Signal:
Video - TTL level positive
        Analog 0.5-0.7Vp-p/75 ohm positive
Sync. - Separate sync. TTL level
        Horizonital sync. positive/negative
        Vertical sync. positive/negative

        Composite sync. TTL level positive/negative
        Composite sync, on green video sync.
        0.3Vp-p negative

Synchronization:
Horizontal - 15Khz to 35Khz automatically
Vertical - 50Hz to 80Hz automatically

Resolution:  800x600 max.
Video Bandwidth: 30Mhz (-3 dB)

Miscovergence:
Center    0.3mm max.
Corner    0.5mm max.

Power:
Switching mode power supply
          AC 90V-132V or 180V-265V, 50Hz/60Hz

Operating Temperate: -5 C to 40 C ambient

Weight: 12.4 Kgs (net)

It has a front mounted power switch, tilt-swivel base, side panel
controls with overcan/normal switch, v-size, v-hold, h-center, v-center,
brightness and contrast controls, and a text switch.

The A1950 Multiscan monitor also comes with a DB15 VGA connector on the
cable, a 15-pin to 9-pin adaptor for devices that require NEC multisync
pinouts and a 23-pin to 15-pin adaptor for all Amiga models

List Price: less than $800 and can be used with our Amigas or PC
            products alike.

Scott (tired fingers) Hood

/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.amiga */