[comp.sys.amiga] Bridgeboard AT help

padre@dsoft.UUCP (Brian McNett) (05/02/90)

I need an Amiga with an AT compatible, 40 meg hard drive computer inside- I'm
not so sure that an A2000HD would be the best choice, unless its 40 meg hard
drive is directly accessible from the Bridgeboard AT. Any info on hard drives
that can be partitioned for Bridgeboard/AmigaDOS use would be appreciated!

alexhagn@neabbs.UUCP (ALEXANDER HAGEN) writes:

>>My college requires that I own an IBM compatible computer with
>>an 80286 or 80386 processor, 20MEG or higher hard drive, [...]
>>there are three things I can do:
>>  3) Sell my Amiga 500 and buy an Amiga 2000 with a Bridgeboard
>>   AT card and IBM hard drive

>I don't think you can afford option 3!

sure he can. Educational discount has the 2000 with hard drive (which he
can partition for use with IBM (slow) or add in a second IBM hard drive
(requires a IBM hard drive controller).

>Furthermore, the display of an AT board is very slow! Also, only MDA and
>CGA are available, while most AT's will have EGA or VGA. On the other hand,
>there are student discounts of about 30%.

The AT bridgeboard runs at standard AT speed (it IS an AT!!!) of 6 Mhz.
And CGA is just the built in display (makes it so you can run the AT in
an Amiga window). But there is nothing stopping someone from buying an
IBM video card (VGA, EGA, SuperVGA, TARGA, etc) and using it on the IBM
side (you will need a multisync monitor for that, but then you would anyway
if you bought an IBM with VGA or EGA)

If he was to have to pay full price for the Amiga/IBM-AT package, I would
agree with you, Go buy a used AT and keep your amiga. But you can't shake a
stick at the educational prices.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                     | PH: (502) 968-DISK

alexhagn@neabbs.UUCP (ALEXANDER HAGEN) (05/06/90)

Bord     :NEWS.AMIGA
Nummer   :374871   News bericht (ontvangen)
Status   :Openbaar   2 x gelezen   0 x beantwoord
Aan      :Iedereen
Afzender :John Sparks
Datum    :05-05-90 04:57:01
Onderwerp:Re: Bridgeboard AT help

sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>>Furthermore, the display of an AT board is very slow! Also, only MDA and
>>CGA are available, while most AT's will have EGA or VGA. On the other hand,
>>there are student discounts of about 30%.

>The AT bridgeboard runs at standard AT speed (it IS an AT!!!) of 6 Mhz.

Well, it runs even faster: 8 Mhz. Also, a hardware extension is available
that will increase this speed to 12 Mhz!

>And CGA is just the built in display (makes it so you can run the AT in
>an Amiga window).

CGA will be fine for many applications. However, if you are running
animations on the PC, you will have noticed the Amiga can't cope with
that adequately. Have you tried to play a game of Golf on a bridgeboard?
I have, ONCE!

>                  But there is nothing stopping someone from buying an
>IBM video card (VGA, EGA, SuperVGA, TARGA, etc) and using it on the IBM
>side [...]

Of course this will increase the price of your Amiga 2000AT system
considerably! Also, here in the Netehrlands, you can't buy an AMIGA without
monitor (at the university that is). So, you might end up with two
monitors! An EGA/VGA Multisync and the 1084. Of course you can sell the
1084 again, but it will cost you money!

       _       Alexander Hagen           | BBS (+31) 20-5733533
     _/_\__    Newtonstraat 20           | UUCP alexhagn@neabbs.UUCP
 ````-o--o-    4532 KH Terneuzen         | Fido 2:280/2
               The Netherlands           | Fax (+31) 20-763706
-----------------------------------------| Datanet 1 (+2041) 12910090
 PRIV. MSG. IN DUTCH, GERMAN OR ENGLISH! | Telex (+44) 12969 attn A. Hagen

padre@dsoft.UUCP (Brian McNett) (05/08/90)

I'm the one whose college requires that I bring an AT computer with hard
drive and room for an ethernet card when I go. My $2,500 budget seems to
squeak right in with the A2000HD/PC package under Commodore's educational
discount. I now know that a single Amiga drive can be partitioned for use
by both the Amiga and PC sides of the computer, thanks to you all :-)
Now a few more questions: Does the A2000HD/PC educational package come with
the AT Bridgeboard? I don't think my college will accept an XT, but I might
be able to fool them. Next question- If I DO get the Bridgeboard XT, and the
Ethernet card I load from the college (again, required) is an AT card, can
the Bridgeboard XT access it? This may turn out to be the only excuse I have
to upgrade to the 2000 series in more than four years! I hope I won't have
to keep this little 500 around forever.