[comp.sys.amiga] Video Advice

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (05/02/90)

I've got a question...

The A3000 will allow setting any color register to transparent.  (so
I've read).  Does that mean some GURU somewhere will write a little
hack that opens up a single bit plane interlace window with two
colors, One of them transparent, so that genlocked video will take up
the whole screen?  The idea is that this screen will use register 31
for example while workbench will be using 0-3 so that the workbench
screen will be grey, white, blue, and yellow (got these colors from the
article pictures) and will look 'stock' but the window behind will be
transparent so it will be a TV.  Compiling?  Don't play games, watch
a little Vanna White!  ::click::  "Nice dress, Vanna!"  ::click::
done compiling...

Can it be done?  I hate jumping up to see what is happening on Star
Trek which is the next room but I can hear it...
      ...I might buy a genlock just to do this if somebody wrote the
hack.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (05/03/90)

In article <29516@cup.portal.com>, FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
> I've got a question...
>
> The A3000 will allow setting any color register to transparent.  (so
> I've read).  Does that mean some GURU somewhere will write a little
> hack that opens up a single bit plane interlace window with two
> colors, One of them transparent, so that genlocked video will take up
> the whole screen?

Although I haven't studied video much at all, it seems like I saw something
like this years ago on the a1000. I vaguely remember it being said (possibly)
that the video signal (from genlock) came through on the background color
register number, or something along these lines. I remember windows being
opened on top of the video image.

> Can it be done?  I hate jumping up to see what is happening on Star
> Trek which is the next room but I can hear it...

What I do, and what has been mentioned here acouple of times, is run cable-TV
through a vcr (provides tuner) and on to the monitor. I can then easily switch
back and forth between the computer and TV. TV sound comes through regardless
of which you're watching so you can play Shanghai until Spock says something
significant!

--
A man said to the Universe "Sir, I exist!" | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
"However," replied the Universe,           | DLA Systems Automation Center

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org (John Meissen) (05/04/90)

In article <2119@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil> nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) writes:
>Although I haven't studied video much at all, it seems like I saw something
>like this years ago on the a1000. I vaguely remember it being said (possibly)
>that the video signal (from genlock) came through on the background color
>register number, or something along these lines. I remember windows being
>opened on top of the video image.

Yep, that's how it worked. With the A1300 Genlock, color 0 was replaced with
the external video source. This created an external video backdrop that other
graphic data could be placed onto (such as winddows, etc.). Makes the special
effect used in news broadcasts of overlaying a still photo above the announcer's
shoulder simple.

>What I do, and what has been mentioned here acouple of times, is run cable-TV
>through a vcr (provides tuner) and on to the monitor. I can then easily switch

With the genlock, I used to run my laser-disk player output into the genlock and
watch Star Wars while I wote my programs :-)

--
 John Meissen ............................... Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
 jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

matettus@dasys1.uucp (Matthew Ettus) (05/04/90)

The video toaster by newtek has a quad box built in (actually, it can also do
9, 16, or 25 boxes)

--
Matthew Ettus
Big Electric Cat

lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (05/05/90)

In article <29516@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>transparent so it will be a TV.  Compiling?  Don't play games, watch
>a little Vanna White!  ::click::  "Nice dress, Vanna!"  ::click::
>done compiling...
>
>Can it be done?  I hate jumping up to see what is happening on Star
>Trek which is the next room but I can hear it...
>      ...I might buy a genlock just to do this if somebody wrote the
>hack.

If you have a 1084 (and I suspect many other monitors) you can just plug in
the output of a vcr into the composite jack on the back and punch the little
CBVS/RGB swtich just to the right of the volume control...  That would be
alot cheaper than a genlock (although not near as cute).   8^)

But seriously folks, here's my real question:  Instead of buying a vcr, is
there some kind of box I can buy somewhere than receives TV and churns out
composite video and audio?  Or, even better, something that outputs analog
RGB?  My 1084 makes a wonderful TV when hooked up to a vcr, but I don't wanna
buy a vcr -- I'm a college student.

"The machine minded material man                    Logan Shaw
 desperately dreams of a brand new sedan.           lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
 Wlll he expect long lasting gain                   ========================
 from a toy that will race then rust in the rain?" - elim Hall, Things Break

amc4919@cec1.wustl.edu (Adam Michael Costello) (05/05/90)

In article <29488@ut-emx.UUCP> lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) writes:
>But seriously folks, here's my real question:  Instead of buying a vcr, is
>there some kind of box I can buy somewhere than receives TV and churns out
>composite video and audio?  Or, even better, something that outputs analog
>RGB?  My 1084 makes a wonderful TV when hooked up to a vcr, but I don't wanna
>buy a vcr -- I'm a college student.

The box you describe is called a TV tuner.  I have one.  I got it as a gift,
but I think my dad paid 70-80 dollars for it.  However, this was a display
model, and they couldn't even find the box in came in nor the remote it came
with, so I think it retailed for much more.  My guess would be that TV tuners
would be aimed at high-end video customers, whereas VCR's are aimed at everyone,
and some are dirt cheap.  You'd probably be better off getting a low-end VCR.
(Hey, you can always use a VCR!)
AMC

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (05/05/90)

Several people have mentioned that you can already put video on the
RGB screen with a genlock and have been able to do that since the A1000
first had genlocks available.  However, what is new on the A3000 is the
ability to pick which color register is transparent.  What I want to
confirm is that this allows one to have a *normal* workbench screen
and a custom screen that is all video.  Swap screens to work and see
the TV.  That way you don't have a window floating in space and text
scrolling into Spock's ears.

Here's what I was thinking:
 Screen 1.  Workbenchwith normal colors etc.
 Screen 2.  Video on a 1 bit plane custom screen (with overscan natch)
 Screen 3.  Shangahi - the game
 Screen 4.  Shanghai - help
 Screen 5.  Memacs 1.3
...etc.   You get the picture.  This would be superior to the Mac product
that puts a little teeny tiny B&W window on the screen.  Normal video.
Neat!!

So am I correct in assuming that this could be done as envisioned?
Dana etc. from cup.portal.com

padre@dsoft.UUCP (Brian McNett) (05/08/90)

There's a set of utilities out there called "CONV" that are supposed to
convert Mac Fonts to Amiga fonts. It's here in New Jersey at Cliffside Park
DBBS (201)-886-8041, not sure where else.