[comp.sys.amiga] Multifinder - Just the Facts, man.

steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) (05/02/90)

In article <8930@hubcap.clemson.edu> chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Everhart) writes:
]In article <20499@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, judd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Steve Judd) writes:
]>
]> Posting the second...
]>
]> 	Can somebody tell me about Multifinder for the Macs?  A Mac fiend
]> that I know was telling me that the Mac has had multitasking for three years
]> by using Multifinder, on all models.  I mean, this is a Mac, right?  The bane
]> of all Amiga users?  So, there has to be a catch, right?  I'd hate to think
]> that all the great propaganda I've been hearing isn't true.
]
]There is indeed a catch.  I have used the multifinder (on AMAX) before, and
]find it to be quite lame.  It requires incredible amounts of memory and does
]not alow preemtive multitasking.  In fact, I wouldn't call what it does
]multitasking at all.  If you are running a word processor and something to
]do calculations for you, the computer will quit running the calculations
]program while you are using the word processor.  This isn't multitasking at
]all.  (if I'm wrong, someone correct me)  I call it program swapping.  The
]processor doesn't appear to be cycling time between the tasks.  This kind of
]multitasking is the what people think of when they say "who needs it?"  The
]Amiga is capable of running several programs SIMULTANEOUSLY.  I can have my
]computations program drawing a graph, while I'm using my telecommunications
]software to read the news.  And one doesn't stop for the other.  As much as
]I like the MAC interface, it is the lack of true multitasking that ensures
]that I will never buy a MAC.

You are a little confused about multitasking but the real point is about
multifinder.  From a long time Mac owners point of virew, Multifinder sucks.
Surprised??  Multifinder is a lame excuse for multitasking BUT (here is comes)
it does the job most of the time.  99% of the time that I use it, I have no
complaints that it is not preemptive.. instead, and most important, I get
upset at its lack of memory protection.  I hate when a non-well behaved program
trashes me out so bad that I have to reboot.
I dont believe the Amiga has memory protection either?..??
For the most part, Multifinder works well but you do require lots of ram.

]Supposedly, there is a Unix ported from an old version running on the MAC now,
]but...who wants old stuff...

Once again, you are underknowledged.  AUX is a System V release 2 compliant
but has always had alot of berkeleyisms.  That is, alot of what is in R4 (AMIX)
has been in AUX since it came out.  As well, alot of new (non R2) stuff is
part of AUX 2.0 eventhough it is still an R2 based system.
I would be curoius to see a list of things that R4 (or AMIX) has that AUX 2.0
does not.  I tend to believe that that list would be almost empty.

]
]Chris Everhart
]chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu

--
What do these names have in common?
Bob, Flo, Augie, Curtis, Gordon, Rick, Rhonda, Meep, Bismark, Skip, and Harry

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (05/02/90)

In article <6460@umd5.umd.edu> steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:
>upset at its lack of memory protection.  I hate when a non-well behaved program
>trashes me out so bad that I have to reboot.
>I dont believe the Amiga has memory protection either?..??
>For the most part, Multifinder works well but you do require lots of ram.

Well, since the Amiga was multitasking from day one, even without memory
protection, fewer programs are ill-behaved.  Vendors can't just say
"Well, don't use multitasking" any more that Mac vendors can say
"Well, don't use the mouse with this program."  Few would buy a useful
program that crashed and needed to be rebooted often.  And since
programs on Amy expect to be sharing with other programs, they tend
to use less RAM also.  On a Mac, it's not a problem to use all
available memory (except under multifinder).   -- Darren

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (05/02/90)

Multifinder has been around, but it offers a more limited flavor of
multitasking than Amiga users are used to.

1.  Amiga multi-tasking is "preemptive."  This means that the OS can
interrupt any program and start another.  So, all programs are automatically
multi-tasking (unless the programmer foes out of his way to make it
otherwise).  Multi-finder is "cooperative".  This means that the programmer
must insert statements into the code that say "OK.  Give some other program
a chance now".  When this happens, if there are any others around, they'll get
a turn.  This means that older programs are very likely to hog the whole
machine.

2.  Mac multi-tasking requires much more memory, typically 2MB or more.
Amiga multi-tasking is quite usable with 1MB.  This is because, since the
Amiga was designed with MT in mind from day one, there is a lot more
sharing of memory resources.  For example, two Mac programs in memory
would each have there own complete copy of the window resizing code, while
on the Amiga all programs would share that code.

3.  The Amiga has more asynchronous processes (due to more custom chips).
On the Mac, when info is being drawn to the screen, no other process can
be executing because drawing is done by the main cpu.  On the Amiga, when
a task requests that something be drawn on the screen, a custom chip does
part of the work, allowing the cpu to switch to some other task and do a little
computing in the meanwhile.  This is also true for I/O, printing, sound, voice,
etc etc etc.

In short, Multifinder is a great effort to tack something sort of like
real  multitasking onto a system that is basically a single-tasker,
while Amiga multitasking is designed in from day one.

Also, point out that while multifinder is "available," the vast majority
of Macs don't have it installed.  ALL Amigas have multitasking installed.
So, though there are a few more Macs, there are more multitasking Amigas.

chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Everhart) (05/02/90)

In article <10143@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, cs163wed@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (see far) writes:
> In article <8930@hubcap.clemson.edu> chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Everhart) writes:
> >all.  (if I'm wrong, someone correct me)  I call it program swapping.  The
> >processor doesn't appear to be cycling time between the tasks.  This kind of
> >multitasking is the what people think of when they say "who needs it?"  The
> >Amiga is capable of running several programs SIMULTANEOUSLY.  I can have my
>
> ISn't the AMiga's multi-tasking program swapping?   Unless you have
> several amigas at once, you can never run programs simultaneously.
> Amiga's multitasking only tricks you into thinking it is running
> programs "simultaneously".
>
> After all, you get only one 68000 in an amiga, don't you?

Yeah.  Just go ahead and be picky.  :-)  Actually, I was referring to the
virtual machine.  Like most multitasking computers that will actually fit on
your desk, the Amiga SIMULATES simultaneous program execution.  I've had this
beat into my head in one of my courses, and since that course dealt primarily
with virtual machines, I spoke from that point of view.

I also want to correct my previous statement when I said that Multifinder does
not allow programs to run concurrently.  It does, but one program is not
allowed to interrupt another to gain the CPU.  The advantage of this is that
the application you are currently using does not get slowed down.  The
disadvantage is that the programs you have in the background will most likely
be completely stopped (by something such as a wordprocessor which is almost
always busy).  The Amiga overcomes the problem of having your task get slowed
down by allowing you to set priorities.  You can make the computer run your
task and no one elses if you need it.

Is that better?   :-)

Chris Everhart
chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu

In article <6845@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) writes:
> WAIT!!! Don't kill him!!!  He only said it out of stupidity - he's a
>   MAC owner!!!
>
> I enjoy good flame bait as much as the next fellow, but this is almost
>   ridiculous.  I won't even include a word about the Amiga's multitasking -
>   I'll let someone else.

I'm not a Mac owner.  I just bought AMAX because I needed to use the laser
printers here at school, and since they are only connected to the Apple-Talk
network, I had no choice.

:-)

Chris Everhart
chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu

johno@cbmvax.commodore.com (John Orr - CATS) (05/02/90)

In article <43785@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman) writes:

>Now, I'm no expert on the hardware of the Amiga, but I DO know that I can
>be downloading a program AND writing a paper at the same time so I can
>run 2 programs simultaneously.  Maybe is is time-sharing like UNIX  but I
>don't really care.  As far as I'm concerned (and care...) the Amiga DOES
>multitask.
>AMH

It is possible for Mac applications to be able to multitask well
enough under multifinder to actually perform downloads and run a word
processor at the same time, the only problem is that under the Mac OS,
applications have to actively give up the CPU.  Many Mac applications
do not give up enough (or any) CPU time for other tasks to be able to
do much of anything.  The ability to multitask reasonably well is
completely dependant upon the applications running at the moment.  To
multitask well on a Mac requires careful selection of applications.  On
the other hand, the Amiga's OS takes care of multitasking, so, in
general, applications have little 'say' in whether or not they get
swapped out or not (of course you realize this explanation is somewhat
simplified).

>* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!|        ///
>* Indiana University |-----------------------------------|       ///
>*   	 	     |  sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu  |   \\\///
>*  	   	     |   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |    \XX/

--John

In article <8938@hubcap.clemson.edu> chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Everhart) writes:
>I also want to correct my previous statement when I said that Multifinder does
>not allow programs to run concurrently.  It does, but one program is not
>allowed to interrupt another to gain the CPU.  The advantage of this is that
>the application you are currently using does not get slowed down.  The
>disadvantage is that the programs you have in the background will most likely
>be completely stopped (by something such as a wordprocessor which is almost
>always busy).  The Amiga overcomes the problem of having your task get slowed
>down by allowing you to set priorities.  You can make the computer run your
>task and no one elses if you need it.
>
>Is that better?   :-)
>
>Chris Everhart
>chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu

	One point that should be made is that most programs do
not take up the full resources of the CPU, even a 68000. The
68000 has time to spare when you run your wordprocessor, so
multitasking the Amiga way (as opposed to the Mac way) makes for
more efficient use of the processor.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (05/03/90)

>Resp: 6 of 6 About: Re: Multifinder - Just the Facts, man.
><> [Steve Green] (*Masked*@umd5.umd.edu)
>Once again, you are underknowledged.  AUX is a System V release 2 compliant
>but has always had alot of berkeleyisms.  That is, alot of what is in R4
>(AMIX)
>has been in AUX since it came out.  As well, alot of new (non R2) stuff is
>part of AUX 2.0 eventhough it is still an R2 based system.
>I would be curoius to see a list of things that R4 (or AMIX) has that AUX 2.0
>does not.  I tend to believe that that list would be almost empty.

AUX is based on SYSVR2 , yes, it has the EQUIVILENT of many of the upgrades
in R4 , but it does not , and can NEVER in it's current form , pass the
SYSVR4 compatibility sweep.

Leave it to Apple to talk about the "benefits" of a proprietary UNIX system
in this day and age . Sheesh.

Clairvoyant Brain Boffs Predict: Jehova's Witness Ewoks Will Avoid Lemons.
********[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]********
* Kenneth J. Jamieson  | "Far beyond these castle walls, where the distant *
* uunet!tronsbox!tron1 |   harbor meets the sky, there the battles raged   *
* All origional text   |   like hell, and every dove had lost it's will    *
* Copr 1990 by me.     |   to fly......." Styx - These Castle Walls        *
*_____________________/ \__________________________________________________*
* NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either Xanadu      *
* Xanadu Enterpises or it's clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.             *
****[ The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(2400) / 201-759-8568(PEP)****

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (05/03/90)

In article <11250@cbmvax.commodore.com> johno@cbmvax (John Orr - CATS) writes:
>It is possible for Mac applications to be able to multitask well
>enough under multifinder to actually perform downloads and run a word
>processor at the same time, the only problem is that under the Mac OS,
>applications have to actively give up the CPU.  Many Mac applications
>do not give up enough (or any) CPU time for other tasks to be able to
>do much of anything.

Very few Mac applications refuse to yield the CPU (unless they have your
permission -- some decompression programs have such an option).

Apple pulled a sneaky one to get MultiFinder to work.  The switch from
program to program (task switch) happens when GetNextEvent or WaitNextEvent
is called.  Since these routines are crucial in almost all applications,
multitasking works smoothly.

True the Amiga does this better with multitasking built-in from the start,
but the Mac does a good job for just a minor add-on to the OS.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe) (05/03/90)

In article <7416@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>In article <43785@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman) writes:
>> In article <10143@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs163wed@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (see far) writes:
>>

>>>ISn't the AMiga's multi-tasking program swapping?   Unless you have
>>>several amigas at once, you can never run programs simultaneously.
>>>Amiga's multitasking only tricks you into thinking it is running
>>>programs "simultaneously".
>>>
>>>After all, you get only one 68000 in an amiga, don't you?
>>

>Youre right, Andy.
>This drongo doesn't know the difference between multitasking and parallel
>processing.

Tell us, just what is the difference? In a strict sense, you can't have
(true) multitasking without multiple processors...anything else is just
program swapping; multitasking is implicitly denied in a single processor
system. And just what is a drongo, anyway?

--
Don DeVoe       "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders
ddev@epsl.umd.edu  what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of" -TMBG

jep@mtiame.oz (Jesper Peterson) (05/03/90)

>Once again, you are underknowledged.  AUX is a System V release 2 compliant
>but has always had alot of berkeleyisms.

SVR2 + berkeley = proprietary = big trouble.

Write anything even remotely clever for this and it becomes a real
headache to port "back" to standard SYSV.

>I would be curoius to see a list of things that R4 (or AMIX) has that AUX 2.0
>does not.  I tend to believe that that list would be almost empty.

Streams?

Jesper.

--
ACSnet: jep@mtiame.mtia.oz                 "This lottery is my bathroom."
UUCP:	...!uunet!munnari!mtiame.oz!jep       - Peg (Married with Children)

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (05/03/90)

In article <43785@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman) writes:
> In article <10143@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs163wed@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (see far) writes:
>

>>ISn't the AMiga's multi-tasking program swapping?   Unless you have
>>several amigas at once, you can never run programs simultaneously.
>>Amiga's multitasking only tricks you into thinking it is running
>>programs "simultaneously".
>>
>>After all, you get only one 68000 in an amiga, don't you?
>

>>--
>>What is the Final Outcome for China's current 	situation?
>>In China, 1992, (Lee Huan of) Taiwan will liberate Mainland!
>
> Now, I'm no expert on the hardware of the Amiga, but I DO know that I can
> be downloading a program AND writing a paper at the same time so I can
> run 2 programs simultaneously.  Maybe is is time-sharing like UNIX  but I
> don't really care.  As far as I'm concerned (and care...) the Amiga DOES
> multitask.

Youre right, Andy.
This drongo doesn't know the difference between multitasking and parallel
processing.
Regards Alan

doug@fuji.ctc.contel.com (05/03/90)

You can argue definitions with someone else, but if you want to understand
the differences, the following may help ...

Program Swapping --  An attribute that describes an OS that voluntarily
or involuntarily  suspends of execution  of one task (application) for
execution of another task (application), where there is no formal
priority between tasks, and task swapping often requires user interaction.
   Example -- appA is running, user starts appB; so AppA is suspended
while AppB runs.
              User selects appA; so AppB is suspended and AppA picks up
where it left off.
   Example -- appA runs awhile and voluntarily releases the cpu, so
AppB can continue

Multitasking -- An attribute of an OS similar to Program Swapping,
except the cpu time is formally considered a resource that is "shared"
between tasks (applications), and there is some formal priority between
tasks, such that cpu time is delved out to applications without user
interaction, or task (application) behavior.
   Example -- appA and appB have the same priority.  The OS runs a
little of appA, then
              runs a little of appB, then a little of appA, then B, A, B, A, B, ...
              Note- if the computer is fast enough, then both
applications will appear
              to be running at the same time, and neither application explicitly
              releases the cpu.

Multiprocessing -- An attribute of a computer system, or an operating
system that allows two or more processors (usually cpus) executing
instructions at the same time.  Note- One could have  a
multiprocessing, single tasking computer (i.e. all processors working
on the same application, together)

   'Haid

steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) (05/03/90)

In article <222@mtiame.oz> jep@mtiame.oz (Jesper Peterson) writes:
]>
]>Once again, you are underknowledged.  AUX is a System V release 2 compliant
]>but has always had alot of berkeleyisms.
]
]SVR2 + berkeley = proprietary = big trouble.

That is a totally unfounded statement.  AT&T System V relase 4 has includes
some of the very same berkleyisms that AUX does.

Wow, SVR4 is not proprietary..??..  Dont tell AT&T that!  :-)

]Write anything even remotely clever for this and it becomes a real
]headache to port "back" to standard SYSV.

No more of a headache than it would be to "port" from SVR4 or BSD back to SVR2.

]>I would be curoius to see a list of things that R4 (or AMIX) has that AUX 2.0
]>does not.  I tend to believe that that list would be almost empty.
]
]Streams?

AUX has streams.

]Jesper.
]
]--

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (05/03/90)

In article <1990May3.042500.18758@wam.umd.edu> ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe) writes:
>>This drongo doesn't know the difference between multitasking and parallel
>>processing.
>
>Tell us, just what is the difference? In a strict sense, you can't have
>(true) multitasking without multiple processors...anything else is just
>program swapping; multitasking is implicitly denied in a single processor
>system. And just what is a drongo, anyway?

The difference is this:
Multitasking is when two or more tasks are run concurrently.
Parallel processing is when two or more tasks run simultaneously.
           (assuming you mean MIMD.  A better one may be "two or more
            instructions running concurrently.)
The difference is this:
Simultaneous means "at the same time".
Concurrent means "Another may start between the time the first starts and
   the time the first ends."

Hence, MS-DOS (ignoring TSRs...) is single processing, single tasking.

The Mac OS (under multifinder) is nonpreemptively (sp?) multitasking.

The AmigaOS is premptively multitasking and parallel processing (via Agnus).

Unix is multitasking and multiprocessing (where "process" is taken in the
computer-science sense). The difference between multiprocessing and
multitasking is the difference between a Unix process crashing and
an AmigaDOS task crashing: address spaces.  Unix processes cannot
share address spaces while AmigaDOS processes must.  (Unix shared
memory segments are shared with the kernel and are a special case
I'm ignoring here.)

I hope this clears up some terminology.   -- Darren

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/03/90)

Since the guy owns a Mac, HOW could he even KNOW what true multitasking
is...he certainly isn't speaking from experience, unless that is, he used
another machine...like...an Amiga.

Multifinder's nothing more than a TSR utility.

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

eas3714@ultb.isc.rit.edu (E.A. Story) (05/03/90)

In article <6845@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) writes:
>In article <10143@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs163wed@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (see far) writes:
>
>>ISn't the AMiga's multi-tasking program swapping?   Unless you have
>>several amigas at once, you can never run programs simultaneously.
>>Amiga's multitasking only tricks you into thinking it is running
>>programs "simultaneously".
>
>>After all, you get only one 68000 in an amiga, don't you?
>
>>>Chris Everhart
>>>chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu
>
>WAIT!!! Don't kill him!!!  He only said it out of stupidity - he's a
>  MAC owner!!!
Well, I'm not completely sure, but I think multifinder does multitask
with the right programs.  You see, under Amiga's OS the task switching
is basically transparent.. the kernal takes care of switching processes
and giving each program its proper timeshare.  Under Multifinder, each
program is responsible for allowing other programs to run... so
consequently, if a program wasn't originally written for multifiner,
multifinder will only switch programs.. not giving the non-active ANY
time.  if it was, the program should have been programmed to give any
non-active programs some sort of time to do something.
NOTE: I could be totally wrong! I haven't really even used Multifinder
that much! This is gathered from what I've read on the net ..

                             ----Ezra
Ezra Story : "I HATE .sig files!"
eas3714@ultb.isc.rit.edu

unhd (Jason W Nyberg) (05/04/90)

In article <10143@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs163wed@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (see far) writes:
>In article <8930@hubcap.clemson.edu> chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Everhart) writes:
>>In article <20499@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, judd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Steve Judd) writes:
>>>
>>> Posting the second...
>>There is indeed a catch.  I have used the multifinder (on AMAX) before, and
>>find it to be quite lame.  It requires incredible amounts of memory and does
>>not alow preemtive multitasking.  In fact, I wouldn't call what it does
>>multitasking at all.  If you are running a word processor and something to
>>do calculations for you, the computer will quit running the calculations
>>program while you are using the word processor.  This isn't multitasking at
>>all.  (if I'm wrong, someone correct me)  I call it program swapping.  The
>>processor doesn't appear to be cycling time between the tasks.  This kind of
>>multitasking is the what people think of when they say "who needs it?"  The
>>Amiga is capable of running several programs SIMULTANEOUSLY.  I can have my
>
>ISn't the AMiga's multi-tasking program swapping?   Unless you have

No. It is true multi-tasking.

>several amigas at once, you can never run programs simultaneously.
>Amiga's multitasking only tricks you into thinking it is running
>programs "simultaneously".

True, It does trick you into thinking that it is running more than one
process simultaneously, but it does run more than one process at any given
moment, exactly like VAXs, Suns, etc.  The thing is, the user doesn't
even notice, isn't even involved, in the context switching of the processor.
And, even on a vanilla Amiga, you can run many applications together without
even noticing a slowdown of the system.  Ask an EE professor what an interrupt
is, and how it relates to multitasking...

>After all, you get only one 68000 in an amiga, don't you?

One's all you need.

	-Jason Nyberg

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (05/04/90)

In article <1990May3.042500.18758@wam.umd.edu> ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe) writes:
>In article <7416@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>>In article <43785@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman) writes:
>>Youre right, Andy.
>>This drongo doesn't know the difference between multitasking and parallel
>>processing.
>
>Tell us, just what is the difference? In a strict sense, you can't have
>(true) multitasking without multiple processors...anything else is just
>program swapping; multitasking is implicitly denied in a single processor
>system. And just what is a drongo, anyway?

Multitasking refers to multiple tasks being performed but does not
imply that they are simultaneously processed by multiple processors.

Multiprocessing refers to the actual processing and does mean that
the tasks are processed simultaneously.

This confusion is a common mistake.  Please do not continue to insist
that multitasking==multiprocessing.  There are two different terms
because they are two different concepts.

--
--Steve      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own (I don't speak for Convex)
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

carpent@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Carpenter) (05/04/90)

PLEASE CONTINUE THIS DISCUSSION ELSEWHERE.

  Geez!  This topic comes up every few months.  CUT IT OUT!  We have quite
  enough bandwidth wasted anyway, and you idiots are only increasing it.  And
  for those of us who UUCP things down to our amiga, we prefer to read about
  Amiga stuff in the Amiga newsgroup.  Not these incessant computer wars.

  This is an Amiga newsgroup.  Keep it that way.

Lest someone whine at me for wasting bandwidth (which I am), I do have a real
question:

  Has anyone used SuperPlan?  Do you have any idea how it compares to Excel?

-TC

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (05/04/90)

In article <1990May3.042500.18758@wam.umd.edu> ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe) writes:
>In article <7416@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>>Youre right, Andy.
>>This drongo doesn't know the difference between multitasking and parallel
>>processing.
>
>Tell us, just what is the difference? In a strict sense, you can't have
>(true) multitasking without multiple processors...anything else is just
>program swapping; multitasking is implicitly denied in a single processor
>system. And just what is a drongo, anyway?

It's all a question of semantics.  As far as I understand:

"Parallel processing" has come to mean more than one CPU of like
architecture cooperating to solve a single job.  Several linked
Transputers may be considered "parallel processing" if they are
cooperating to run one program (which typically Helios doesn't do I
understand).

"Multi-tasking" is when a single CPU is shared among several jobs, each
of which has a current "context" which is preserved by the OS,
by whatever means.  By this definition I consider Multi-Finder
"multi-tasking", but before you flame me, read on...

"Pre-emtive" multi-tasking means that the single CPU can be taken
from one job to another at any arbitrary point in the first job;
it happens that the Amiga has Exec functions to disable and enable
pre-emption (Forbid and Permit), but most pre-emptive multi-tasking
OS'es don't, they use semaphores.

"Co-processing" and "Co-processors" indicate multiple processors of
dislike architectures; usually each co-processor is designed to
handle a particular kind of work efficiently, like floating point
math, IO tasks, or graphics, and may not be powerful enough to be
considered general-purpose CPUs, but they might.  The Z80 in the A2090
and the 6502's in the Max IIfx would be co-processors. I guess I don't
consider a simple DMA channel as a co-processor, though some may not
agree with me.

OK, that means the Mac with Multi-finder is *not* parallel processing,
*is* multi-tasking but *not* pre-emptive, and *may* have co-processors
if you pay enough (the IIfx, the 8/24 GC color card, and the 68881/2
math chip).

The Amiga is *not* parallel processing, *is* pre-emptive multi-tasking,
and *does* have co-processors and DMA.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) (05/04/90)

In article <10143@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, cs163wed@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (see far) writes:
> In article <8930@hubcap.clemson.edu> chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Everhart) writes:
> >In article <20499@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, judd@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Steve Judd) writes:
> >>
> >> Posting the second...
> >There is indeed a catch.  I have used the multifinder (on AMAX) before, and
> >find it to be quite lame.  It requires incredible amounts of memory and does
> >not alow preemtive multitasking.  In fact, I wouldn't call what it does
> >multitasking at all.  If you are running a word processor and something to
> >do calculations for you, the computer will quit running the calculations
> >program while you are using the word processor.  This isn't multitasking at
> >all.  (if I'm wrong, someone correct me)  I call it program swapping.  The
> >processor doesn't appear to be cycling time between the tasks.  This kind of
> >multitasking is the what people think of when they say "who needs it?"  The
> >Amiga is capable of running several programs SIMULTANEOUSLY.  I can have my

From what I've heard about multi-finder (very little), perhaps the word
processor was poorly-written in some area.  It should have occasionally
relinquished control.  (Inbetween keystrokes, one would think!  Geesh!)

> ISn't the AMiga's multi-tasking program swapping?   Unless you have

Argh, no, he was talking about something different!  When he meant program
swapping, he meant that when he started using the word processor, the other
program stopped dead, and waited until he went back, even if that were
MINUTES later!  There was no appearance of running simultaneously with
the situation he mentioned.  There have been programs for various machines
that, for instance, swap the contents of memory to disk, then load another
program that was saved in progress, and resumed execution.  I would call
that "program swapping".

> several amigas at once, you can never run programs simultaneously.
> Amiga's multitasking only tricks you into thinking it is running
> programs "simultaneously".

This is what people mean by "multi-tasking."

The Amiga multitasking is "preemptive" in that (ok I'm going to simplify
this terribly) a program only gets a small amount of time, then it's
removed from the CPU, and the next program in the ready queue is run, but
only for a short while.  The program itself doesn't know when it'll be
kicked off the CPU, but since it's environment is saved and restored,
it doesn't have to know.  Each duration is small, so on the whole, it
looks like they're all running simultaneously.

(BTW, Transactor had a programs for the C-64 that both "program swapped"
and "multitasked" BASIC programs.  Heh.  Not too useful, but cute.)

Another way to multi-task is to allow the program to take the CPU for
as long as it wants, and only let other programs have the CPU whenever
they're done.  So, things seem to multi-task when all programs are nice,
and when one isn't nice, it hogs it all.  Meanwhile, it would be hard to
judge just how much time each program gets; do they get a fair amount?
Anyway, programs will appear to run simultaneously so long as one (or
more) programs aren't real hogs.

> After all, you get only one 68000 in an amiga, don't you?

Then explain why other OS's running on other one-CPU machines use the term
"multi-tasking"?  :-)

jep@mtiame.oz (Jesper Peterson) (05/04/90)

In article <6465@umd5.umd.edu> steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:
>In article <222@mtiame.oz> jep@mtiame.oz (Jesper Peterson) writes:
>]SVR2 + berkeley = proprietary = big trouble.
>
>That is a totally unfounded statement.  AT&T System V relase 4 has includes
>some of the very same berkleyisms that AUX does.

some != all

>Wow, SVR4 is not proprietary..??..  Dont tell AT&T that!  :-)

Proprietary in the sense that only Apple use it. SVR4 is used across
more hardware platforms.

>]Write anything even remotely clever for this and it becomes a real
>]headache to port "back" to standard SYSV.
>
>No more of a headache than it would be to "port" from SVR4 or BSD back to SVR2.

I was referring to porting "forward". plain SVR2 -> SVR4 is easy, AUX->SVR4
is not so.

Your wording is appropriate when you say BSD *back* to SVR2. I used to work
on a BSD (actually SunOS, proprietary again, but some of this is now in
SVR4, this argument is getting complicated, not to mention pointless :-)
now I work on SVR2 (soon R3). Porting my favourite programs to this system?

ARGH! ( and no filename completion!!! )

>]>I would be curoius to see a list of things that R4 (or AMIX) has that AUX 2.0
>]>does not.  I tend to believe that that list would be almost empty.
>]
>]Streams?
>
>AUX has streams.

Just asking.

End of my story (e-mail please).

Jesper.
--

matth@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Matthew Hannigan) (05/04/90)

In article <1990May3.042500.18758@wam.umd.edu> ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe) writes:
>In article <7416@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

>>Youre right, Andy.
>>This drongo doesn't know the difference between multitasking and parallel
>>processing.
>
>Tell us, just what is the difference? In a strict sense, you can't have
>(true) multitasking without multiple processors...anything else is just
>program swapping; multitasking is implicitly denied in a single processor
>system. And just what is a drongo, anyway?
>--
>Don DeVoe       "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders
>ddev@epsl.umd.edu  what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of" -TMBG

Yes, you can get true multi-tasking on a single processor machine.
Just about every multi-tasking computer up to now has had a single main
processor. I suggest anybody really interested in this subject reads
a text, say "Tanenbaum : OS - Design and Implementation" before
contributing on this thread. Also, the use of the word 'swapping'
has other connotations when discussing OS's - the word(s) you're
after is probably 'task-switching'.
This subject seems to come up (too) frequently on c.s.amiga.

'Drongo' is a bit of Australian slang. I guess a close definition
would be 'someone not afraid of showing their ignorance' :-)

Regards,
	-Matt

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (05/04/90)

In article <1990May3.042500.18758@wam.umd.edu>, ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe) writes:
> In article <7416@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

>>Youre right, Andy.
>>This drongo doesn't know the difference between multitasking and parallel
>>processing.
>
> Tell us, just what is the difference? In a strict sense, you can't have
> (true) multitasking without multiple processors...anything else is just
> program swapping; multitasking is implicitly denied in a single processor
> system. And just what is a drongo, anyway?

This is a problem of semantics. Some  words mean a thing. Now no matter how
hard someone may want them to mean something else, they don't until a whole
bunch of people get to gether and have a common, new meaning of the words.

In a stict sense, multitasking is the process of maintaining more than
one task concurrently. Not necessarily actually processing data from each
of the tasks similtaneously, just maintaining them. Because of the way
it is achieved on a mainframe, people have come to expect pre-emptive
task switching, but this is not an essential feature. Yes, the mac multitasks.
Not well, but it does.

Parallel processing involves the concurrent use of more than one processor.
The words imply a number of things. I am not sure to what extent they are
essential, but most people expect a real parallel machine to have multiple
processors of the same type that are networked in such a way that any
processor can send a result to any other using address and relay system similar
to that on networked BBS's. Lots of people also describe a computer with
co-processors as "parallel processing" which is strictly correct, but
largely not what is ment when the words are used in the literature.

A 'drongo' is a cheerful, friendly idiot. It is a generic term of abuse
used in Australia amongst friends. It is roughly equivalent to the Australian
use of the word "bastard", which our prime minister uses with great effect.

Regards Alan

tulloh@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM (Robert Tulloh) (05/05/90)

In article <1990May3.042500.18758@wam.umd.edu>, ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe) writes:
> In article <7416@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

> >Youre right, Andy.
> >This drongo doesn't know the difference between multitasking and parallel
> >processing.
>
> Tell us, just what is the difference? In a strict sense, you can't have
> (true) multitasking without multiple processors...anything else is just
> program swapping; multitasking is implicitly denied in a single processor
> system. And just what is a drongo, anyway?
>

> --
> Don DeVoe

Perhaps it depends on your definition of multitasking. So here is one
for your approval/disapproval...

Multitasking is the process by which an O/S can manage one or more processes
running concurrently, but never any two programs executing at the same time.
Each process gets a timeslice of CPU time with the size of the slice dependent
on task priorities, the number of tasks executing, and the nature of the
executing tasks (some tasks simply don't need to execute when it is their turn).
So, you don't need more than one CPU to multitask. True multitasking implies
the O/S is controlling who gets to execute when, not the programs that
are running under it. Thus, on a multitasking system, you don't have to write
programs which have to worry about giving up the CPU to other programs since
you know that the O/S will handle this little job for you (<grin> :-).

I contend that with multiple processors you then have distributed or
parallel processing (no, I don't mean these are the same thing). These
environments can also be multitasking (and they usually are!).

Rob Tulloh

MCC, Deductive Computing      | ARPA :  tulloh@mcc.com | Phone: (512) 338-3704
3500 West Balcones Center Dr. | UUCP :  ...!cs.utexas.edu!hippo!cantor!tulloh
Austin, TX 78759              | GENIE: R.TULLOH
--
MCC, Deductive Computing      | ARPA:  tulloh@mcc.com | Phone: (512) 338-3704
3500 West Balcones Center Dr. | UUCP:  ...!cs.utexas.edu!mcc.com!cantor!tulloh

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (05/05/90)

johno@cbmvax.commodore.com (John Orr - CATS) writes:

>the Amiga's OS takes care of multitasking, so, in
>general, applications have little 'say' in whether or not they get
>swapped out or not

Please, folks.  "Swapped out" has a pretty specific general use, referring
to moving hunks of memory to a hard drive when you're working with a virtual
memory system - it doesn't generally mean what happens when you switch
between tasks which are already memory resident.  That, not surprisingly,
is usually referred to as "task switching".

Just call me a computer language purist :-)
--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

al158305@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Gustavo Cordova) (05/05/90)

In article <10143@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs163wed@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (see far) writes:

> ISn't the AMiga's multi-tasking program swapping?   Unless you have
> several amigas at once, you can never run programs simultaneously.
> Amiga's multitasking only tricks you into thinking it is running
> programs "simultaneously".

> After all, you get only one 68000 in an amiga, don't you?

>Chris Everhart
>chrise@hubcap.clemson.edu

> --
> What is the Final Outcome for China's current 	situation?
> In China, 1992, (Lee Huan of) Taiwan will liberate Mainland!
> --a prediction appearing in Usenet since Sept 1989.-----
> More info available in 2 articles. You can request by E-mail

  So?  What's one CPU got to do with it? SUN and Apollo workstations also
only have one cpu and nobody questions them. The point is, if you run a
program in multifinder and send it to the background to do it's transforms
or whatever-Mac-geeks-do, and then enter your word processor and do some
foreground work there, when you finish your WP job and re-enter the other
program you'll likely find the calculations right where you left them
the last time (ok, maybe an addition or a substraction more); why is this
you might ask? Because ALL mac progs do.... (drum roll)... BUSY WAITING!!!
Yes ladies and gentlemen, mac programs commit that capital sin in every
multitalking world, so if your program doesn't have provisions to return
control to the OS after a certain amount of time, you might as well run it
alone; but in the amiga, each task (what a neeto name :) has an amount of
time alloted to each one, besides, when doing I/O, the program simply goes
to sleep until it gets what it wants, tha way, the communications program
doesn't take much CPU slices, it simply tell the OS to awaken it when data
is available at the port, at the same time, the WP tell the OS to wake him
up when a keypress is available, and so, the spreadsheet has a bunch of CPU
time available to do some number crunching... fun, isn't it?

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
| Isn't it refreshingly similar the syntax of | My other mainframe|
| UNIX commands and AmigaDOS stuff?  :)       | is an Amiga :)    |
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
| Gustavo Cordova | Computer Systems majoring @ ITESM, Mexico     |
+=================+ Internet: al158305 @ mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx      |
| If at first you |           al158305 @ 131.178.1.5              |
| don't succeed,  | BitNet: bl158305 @ tecmtyvm.bitnet            |
| to hell with it.|         al158305%mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx@tecmtyvm |
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
--
disclaimer: These are my opinions, only mine, freely distributable, for
	    non-commercial use only.

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (05/07/90)

In article <AL158305.90May5005228@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx> al158305@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Gustavo Cordova) writes:
>foreground work there, when you finish your WP job and re-enter the other
>program you'll likely find the calculations right where you left them
>the last time (ok, maybe an addition or a substraction more); why is this
>you might ask? Because ALL mac progs do.... (drum roll)... BUSY WAITING!!!

Not true.  I got into a discussion with somebody about this.  The discussion cleared
up a few things for me and for him.  I found out the context switch mechanism.  While
it is cooperative multitasking, it is not nearly as ugly as most other cooperative
systems.
In multifinder, a program makes a call to GetNextEvent() (or some such similar name
I can't remember).  If there is no event queued, the process blocks and whatever is
on the ready queue is scheduled.  This is much easier to add into the OS than
preemption.  Admittedly, it does have a number of drawbacks.  Firstly, if your program
does not make any calls to GetNextEvent(), nothing else will get CPU time.  Most
programs that are written for multifinder now use these calls, so it is not really
much of an issue.  Still, preemption is better, no matter what you say 8-)  Apparently
Apple is beginning to see the light and they are going to encorporate it into System
8.

>+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
>| Isn't it refreshingly similar the syntax of | My other mainframe|
>| UNIX commands and AmigaDOS stuff?  :)       | is an Amiga :)    |
>+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
>| Gustavo Cordova | Computer Systems majoring @ ITESM, Mexico     |
>+=================+ Internet: al158305 @ mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx      |
>| If at first you |           al158305 @ 131.178.1.5              |
>| don't succeed,  | BitNet: bl158305 @ tecmtyvm.bitnet            |
>| to hell with it.|         al158305%mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx@tecmtyvm |
>+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
>--
>disclaimer: These are my opinions, only mine, freely distributable, for
>	    non-commercial use only.

				See ya, Ralph

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@goliath.eecs.umich.edu   Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
11010 Lighthouse Dr. #234  | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Belleville, MI 48111       | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 697-1048

steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) (05/07/90)

)[ lots of stuff deleted ]
)  So?  What's one CPU got to do with it? SUN and Apollo workstations also
)only have one cpu and nobody questions them. The point is, if you run a
)program in multifinder and send it to the background to do it's transforms
)or whatever-Mac-geeks-do, and then enter your word processor and do some
)foreground work there, when you finish your WP job and re-enter the other
)program you'll likely find the calculations right where you left them
)the last time (ok, maybe an addition or a substraction more);

"... you'll likely find the calculations..."???  Sounds like you are baseing
your post without any firsthand knowledge.. The answer is that you are
completely wrong.

)why is this
)you might ask? Because ALL mac progs do.... (drum roll)... BUSY WAITING!!!
)Yes ladies and gentlemen, mac programs commit that capital sin in every
)multitalking world, so if your program doesn't have provisions to return
)control to the OS after a certain amount of time, you might as well run it
)alone;
)[ deleted stuff about Amiga ]

Wrong again.

)+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
)| Isn't it refreshingly similar the syntax of | My other mainframe|
)| UNIX commands and AmigaDOS stuff?  :)       | is an Amiga :)    |
)+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
)| Gustavo Cordova | Computer Systems majoring @ ITESM, Mexico     |
)+=================+ Internet: al158305 @ mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx      |
)| If at first you |           al158305 @ 131.178.1.5              |
)| don't succeed,  | BitNet: bl158305 @ tecmtyvm.bitnet            |
)| to hell with it.|         al158305%mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx@tecmtyvm |
)+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Seriously though, can you please stop bashing other machines unless
you have some facts.  Stop makeing up things and using theory to prove
a mute point.

I am not saying that Multifinder is better that AmigaOS or visa-versa.
In fact, I dont even like MF but from a practical point of view, there
are less differences than some of you would like to admit.  Here is a real
world example.  With MF, I was able to do a ray trace, download and
word process at the same time.  Yes, the ray trace and download all
progressed fine.  As well, I am sure that the amiga can do the same.

--

aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) (05/08/90)

In article <6478@umd5.umd.edu> steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:
>)[ lots of stuff deleted ]
>)[ deleted stuff about Amiga ]

Why?

>are less differences than some of you would like to admit.  Here is a real
>world example.  With MF, I was able to do a ray trace, download and
>word process at the same time.  Yes, the ray trace and download all
>progressed fine.  As well, I am sure that the amiga can do the same.

It sure can!  And more!  Heck dude, not only was I downloading a w/ Zmodem,
Sculpt4D'ing a pic, and writing a letter on ProWrite, I had TWO other
rendering programs [Turbo Silver and Videoscape) working on another pic
and rendering a 200 frame animation, Modeler 3D sitting on an object,
DPaint3 working on a 30 frame anim, PageStream puttering out an ad to
the Laser printer, and a few shells decompressing some archives that were
being batched downloaded.   Alot of these applications are video
intensive---oops, forgot to add, Sonix Progressive playing rock music
in the background!   How's that for a 4Mb 68000 based machine w/ a 40Mb
HD?    I'd like to see you Wacintosh do that w/ the same configuration?
BTW, what were YOU using, a Mac+, SE or II???

Now if  I had an A3000 w/ 16Mbs & 2Mbs chip...hmmm????

>What do these names have in common?
>Bob, Flo, Augie, Curtis, Gordon, Rick, Rhonda, Meep, Bismark, Skip, and Harry
>	...did I miss any??			steveg@umd5.umd.edu

-The Master Multitasker
Sorry guys lost control there!  Just couldn't resist:-)

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) (05/08/90)

In article <9653@chaph.usc.edu> aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) writes:
>In article <6478@umd5.umd.edu> steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:
>>)[ lots of stuff deleted ]
>>)[ deleted stuff about Amiga ]
>>world example.  With MF, I was able to do a ray trace, download and
>>word process at the same time.  Yes, the ray trace and download all
>>progressed fine.  As well, I am sure that the amiga can do the same.
>It sure can!  And more!  Heck dude, not only was I downloading a w/ Zmodem,
>Sculpt4D'ing a pic, and writing a letter on ProWrite, I had TWO other
>rendering programs [Turbo Silver and Videoscape) working on another pic
>and rendering a 200 frame animation, Modeler 3D sitting on an object,

Well, that sounds nice, and it is true, the Amiga multitasks, and also
Multifinder IF the program is well behaved.  But then again, if you
are doing ALL that in Amiga, I am sure things would get pretty slow...
(Ok, Multitasking is nice, but the  Amiga is no cray...)

BTW, do you have 2 phone lines or you also have a ReadNews program in
your Amy?  (Cus It is HARD t odo a Zmodem download and be posting news
at the same time if you have only one phone line...  Now if you had
Dnet, I would believe you..)

Alex C. Liu                   | INTERNET: acliu%skat@usc.edu
Voice: (213) 749-2730         | BITNET: acliu@gamera
Q-Link: Alejandro             | UUCP: ...!usc!acliu

FILLMORE%EMRCAN.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca (05/08/90)

Well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words so here is my attempt to
clarify the discussion comparing multitasking on the Amiga and Macintosh.

Note:  I consider the Amiga custom chips, floating-point chips,
       etc. which have special instruction sets to be co-processors,
       NOT CPUs.  They are not considered in the following illustration.
       Also, I ignore the effects of interrupt service routines.

  Legend:   A = processor A, B = processor B, etc.
            A,B,... are all processors of the same type (homogeneous)
            < = task start
            > = task end
            | = task switch

SINGLE-TASKING   (eg. Mac Finder, MS-DOS programs)
--------------

  Task 1:  <AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA>
  Task 2:                   <AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA>

  Notice that each task must run to completion before the next task starts.

COOPERATIVE MULTITASKING   (eg. Mac Multifinder, MS-DOS TSRs or spoolers)
------------------------

  Task 1:  <AAAAAAA|           |AAA|                          |AAAAA>|
  Task 2:           <AAAAAAAAAA|   |AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA|      |AA>

  Notice that the total elapsed time for a task is very unpredictable.
  Also, the elapsed time for task 1 depends on how task 2 is written
  (how often task 2 gives up the CPU).
  Each task must be programmed with multitasking in mind (frequent calls
  to system routines) in order for it to work successfully.
  Mac programs which follow Apple's guidelines will multitask fairly well.
  Program development costs may be higher because of extra care required.

PRE-EMPTIVE MULTITASKING   (eg. Amiga, Sun, each CPU in a mainframe)
------------------------

  Task 1:  <AAAAA|     |AAAAA|     |AAAAA>|
  Task 2:        |AAAAA|     |AAAAA|      |AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA>

  Notice that each task is given an equal time slice in the CPU.
  Therefore, the total elapsed time for a task is the task CPU time
  multiplied by the number of tasks running (ie. it is predictable).
  In general, application programs can be written as if they own
  the whole machine - they do not have to keep multitasking in mind.
  Of course system-type programs do have to be well-behaved.

MULTIPROCESSING  or parallel processing  (eg. mainframes with multiple CPUs)
---------------

  Task 1:  <AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA>
  Task 2:  <BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB>

  Since there is a CPU for each task the total task time is very predictable.
  Note: if there are more tasks than CPUs then some of the CPUs will start
        pre-emptive multitasking.

All of these issues were covered years ago in the mainframe world.
I have simplified things a lot to clarify the comparison.
Bob Fillmore, Systems Software & Communications     BITNET:  FILLMORE@EMRCAN
  Computer Services Centre,                         BIX:     bfillmore
  Energy, Mines, & Resources Canada                 Voice:   (613) 992-2832
  588 Booth St., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1A 0E4   FAX:     (613) 996-2953