[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga/Atari help

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (04/07/90)

Sorry, I was talking about the NeXT having a sound digitizer, not a SUN...
I only mentioned it as another example of a computer with a built-in hardware
option that lacks the guts many user need, and as a result, they often buy
additional hardware anyway, to meet some need that the stock equipment doesn't
fit....

Enough said...as has been said before, we all love our machines...I just didn't
want an Amiga user to be recommending an ST on an unfounded precedence...

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (04/07/90)

Please don't cross post over into the Atari group.  Let's just let this
die out so I don't have to wade through the Atari stuff over here in the
Amiga groups.

Patrick Horgan                           phorgan@cup.portal.com

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (04/07/90)

In article <15835@snow-white.udel.EDU> peery@ranger.uwyo.edu (Alan Peery) writes:
>1- Is there an Amiga system with a 68030 microprocessor, capable of running
>   a real implementation of UNIX?
>
>Yes.  Amiga 2500/30, an Amiga 200 with a 68030 processor card added.  It's
>only running at 14Mhz, though, so you might want to look at the processor
>cards by GVP, a third party manufacturer(33Mhz).

The '020 card was only 14Mhz, the '030 from Commodore is 25Mhz.
--
+ Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (04/08/90)

Tell me, can you expand your ST beyond 4Mb?  Regardless of how easy it is?
The A500 has several options now of fully expanding to the AUTO-CONFIG 9Mb
limit...above that, the user can still add memory using addmem...

What's the point of having a 68030?  Do you have any programs that take
advantage of it's FPU?  There are several packages available for the Amiga,
though most are graphics oriented, that can use the '881/'882.

You might think 512 colors are enough, but that's in 320x200
resolution...yuck!  We can go 4096 all the way up to 384x480...no
comparison...oh, and can you animate those Spectrum pictures?  We can even go
out to the full color pallette at 768x480, if the picture is composed
right...there is a readily available board that lets the user view 764x484
pictures at 21bits per pixel (2.1M)...and one is soon to be available that
will let us do 256 in hires, with no loss in system speed (Black Belt), and
will do over 232,000 colors in HAM resolution modes.  This product will RETAIL
for just under $300.

I can see where you Atari users are coming from..."misery loves company."  But
take it somewhere else...

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602                    |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

kawakami@volcano.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami) (04/08/90)

In article <1990Apr5.191157.7522@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> you write:
>In article <40345@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, jkain@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey Kain) writes:
>
>	One other consideration you should have in choosing which
>computer to buy: which one is selling? The Amiga is selling very well,
>and sales are only increasing. Atari has had to continuously drop
>their prices to make their machines sell. Yes, you'll get a cheaper
This is NOT TRUE.  Since 1986, when we bought a 1040 w/monitor, the
_retail_ price has gone down $100.  The street price seems to have
gone down less.  What DID happen that might give you that impression
is that Atari "unbundled" the monitors and consoles, and introduced
the 520STfm (the one with the floppy).  "Instantly" the prices of
the machines dropped $175 and $300 (the bundled prices of the monitors)
and the price of the 520+drive configuration dropped because the drive
went from being external to internal.

What I've found surprising is that the price of the ST has basically
NOT DROPPED in four years.  If I were Atari, I'd be slashing prices like
mad and attempting to Super VLSI the ST and shrink board space.  There
is enough software out there that a real cheap ST could really eat up
some serious Amiga and Apple2GS market share.  I'd give up genlock and
all those colors to save real $$ and get some good software.

Meanwhile, Atari is in homeostasis in an industry where growth is imperative!
You need to sell hardware to sell software to make money for authors who
help you sell more hardware...

>machine, but IMHO at least it won't be well supported a year from now.
>Maybe the STacy and the TTs (whenever they come out) will change
>things, but I doubt it.
>

>	-- Ethan
>
>Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
>
>"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
>		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

John Kawakami       kawakami@earthquake.berkeley.edu
                    ucbvax!earthquake.berkeley.edu!kawakami
                    take-a-right-up-the-hill-then-a-left-on-leroy

chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) (04/10/90)

Can't help to add my two cents. I don't know if anyone else notices, almost in any
popular PC magazines, such as Byte, InfoWorld, etc, every once while you will see
a letter from an Amiga owner loudly protested a previous article, saying the article
forgot to mention about his Amiga already can do so-and-so. It seems these people
always feel insecure and need others attention.

Now can we just go back each's own newsgroup?
--
Jinfu Chen                  (602)898-5338      |       Disclaimer:
Motorola, Inc.  Logic IC Div., Mesa, AZ        |

erwinh@solist.htsa.aha.nl (Chaos Conquerer) (04/11/90)

In article <2127@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>Tell me, can you expand your ST beyond 4Mb?  Regardless of how easy it is?
>The A500 has several options now of fully expanding to the AUTO-CONFIG 9Mb
>limit...above that, the user can still add memory using addmem...

Sure you can. It must be said that it is a tad more difficult than on the Amiga, but it can be done. As for all the hype about better sound, and 4096 colors there is the STE range. Here in holland you pay about 1100 guilders (about $550) for the Amiga 500, and about 1500 guilders (about $750) for the 1040 STE. You get 512K more for $200, and no rival of the commodore stable as the Amiga 2000 is   about $1500 over here.

Greetz

	Erwinh

ko0m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kevin Richard O'Toole) (05/03/90)

First - Congratulations on moving on from your Macintoy.
Second - The gents at Commodore say Unix is on the way soon, probably worth
hanging in there for an amiga with Unix.  AMiga's are much more expandable
than ST's and will serve you better down the line.  The 68030 is readily
available for the amiga.
Third - I know people who have gotten educational discounts on amiga's don't as
me from where though.

Later.
-KOT

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/05/90)

     A friend of mine who works at Wolfram (of Mathematica fame) mentioned
working w/ Apple's AUX 2.0 and says it's hot....
     Let's hope CBM will get out and beat Apple's thunder before they
(Apple) releases the damn thing.

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (05/06/90)

In article <46200061@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>     A friend of mine who works at Wolfram (of Mathematica fame) mentioned
>working w/ Apple's AUX 2.0 and says it's hot....
>     Let's hope CBM will get out and beat Apple's thunder before they
>(Apple) releases the damn thing.

Hmm, okay I've seen AUX2.0 myself, and have played with Commodore's UNIX.
IMHO, this is what I think:

   Apple has done an incredible job seaming the Mac stuff and Unix stuff
together.  Fer instance copying a file from a Unix partition to a Mac
partition automatically converts formats and stuff like that.  Clicking
on things like 'ls' actually loads another little doohingie which contains
information about which switches to run, etc. -- very nice indeed, and I
was very impressed.

   However, here is where I was not impressed:  SPEED!!  The thing was
running on a IIfx, and should have been blazing, but for some reason, an
'ls' listing from shell seemed to crawl onto the screen.  Definite yeuch(tm).

   Commodore has done a real good job getting one thing working (at least),
and that's SPEED!  Man, 'cat'ting /etc/termcap, that text file literally
*flew* onto the screen.  And you thought CygnusEd text scrolling was fast!!
User interface-wise, well, seemed pure unix like to me.  Apparently we also
have a bunch of GUI stuff ported, so that's a GOOD THING (tm).

   In short, it depends if you want the native OS running at the same time.
I think the reason Apple wanted their MacOS running, was because -- at least
for one thing -- it's not pure Unix, so there'll be mucho porting to be done,
and it's safest to know that something will run.  Of course, it also keeps
that MAC consistency.  I'd love it if AmigaOS would run under the new Unix,
but we'll have to wait for that, I guess...

[Good natured jab:how good can the user interface be if the techies prefer
		  the Bourne shell.. :) :) :)]

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
"Excuse my ignorance, but I've been run over by my train of thought."  -me

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>     A friend of mine who works at Wolfram (of Mathematica fame) mentioned
>working w/ Apple's AUX 2.0 and says it's hot....
>     Let's hope CBM will get out and beat Apple's thunder before they
>(Apple) releases the damn thing.

Actually I think it's better to release things AFTER the competition. That
way you know what the competition has and can gear your marketing strategy
to show them up, point for point. You can't do that if your product is the
first.

Kinda like the Apple Mac IIfx and the A3000. Apple comes out with a neat machine
and brags to everyone how great it is. Then CBM comes out with the A3000 and
basically says "PTHHHT! Oh yeah? Well look at this, ours is as powerful as
yours but at a fraction of the cost."

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                     | PH: (502) 968-DISK