[comp.sys.amiga] Fred Fish & Tetris Clones

davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) (05/08/90)

ALL:
   I have been hearing increasing comments locally about an
on going problem with Fred Fish and Spectrum Holobyte
about Tetris. Everyone is aware of the massive Fred Fish
PD disk collection. He has been doing a wonderful job
for sometime. I have heard that he is being threatened
because several of his disks contain programs that have
the look and feel of Tetris. I think this should concern
everyone and I hope that Spectrum will leave Fred alone.
Voice your opinion here and everywhere. Let's protect
freely distributeable software. It's an important paryt
of our lives. Some of these PD products are better than
the original! Let's keep the PD worldd safe!
   FYI: Spectrum Holobytes address is:
		2061 Challenger Drive
		Alameda, CA 94501
	phone 415-522-3584
415-522-1164

In article <5672@sugar.hackercorp.com> davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) writes:
>   I have been hearing increasing comments locally about an
>on going problem with Fred Fish and Spectrum Holobyte
>about Tetris. Everyone is aware of the massive Fred Fish
>PD disk collection. He has been doing a wonderful job
>for sometime. I have heard that he is being threatened
>because several of his disks contain programs that have
>the look and feel of Tetris. I think this should concern
>everyone and I hope that Spectrum will leave Fred alone.
>Voice your opinion here and everywhere. Let's protect
>freely distributeable software. It's an important paryt
>of our lives. Some of these PD products are better than
>the original! Let's keep the PD worldd safe!

Sorry to sound a 'contrarian', but your target has all the rights to
protect its investment (in this instance SO' copyright on Tetris).
As Fred has mentioned, as far as copyrights are concerned it doesn't
matter whether the infringer made any profit out of the infringment.
If SO has filed for copyrights properly, they can collect triple damages
out of an infringment lawsuit, NO MATTER what was the actual profit, if any,
made by the infringer.

I've seen some of the screen shots of these 'clones'. They indeed look
IDENTICAL to the actual SO's Tetris, and as such likely infringe on the
'visual' copyright (note that the current deposit requirements for
computer games include BOTH source code and/or object + screen shots,
all part of the same filing).

If you are upset at the fact that SO intends to enforce their rights
under current laws, then write your congressman and tell him to change the
laws.

-- Marco

"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

andrewsr@acdc.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (05/09/90)

How far does such a "look and feel" copyright go?  Will it affect such
games as Blockout?  How much of the PD stuff could be changed to
comply to the copyright?  Would a Tetris-like copyright cover all
"falling puzzle" games?
--
  // Rich    | "Like any good philosophical discussion, the   |    //
\X/  Andrews |  conclusion is left unresolved." -McLaughlin   |  \X/

" Seaman) (05/09/90)

<
< As Fred has mentioned, as far as copyrights are concerned it doesn't
< matter whether the infringer made any profit out of the infringment.
< If SH has filed for copyrights properly, they can collect triple damages
< out of an infringment lawsuit, NO MATTER what was the actual profit, if any,
< made by the infringer.

Yes, they do have every right to pursue and collect damages.  They are
not, however, required to do so.

< I've seen some of the screen shots of these 'clones'. They indeed look
< IDENTICAL to the actual SH's Tetris, and as such likely infringe on the
< 'visual' copyright (note that the current deposit requirements for
< computer games include BOTH source code and/or object + screen shots,
< all part of the same filing).

I have only seen two of the clones myself.  One (which WAS called 'Tetris')
GURU'ed immediately on my 2500, and was deleted.  I waste enough time on
other things;  I don't need to waste more time on poorly written software.
The other, called 'Tetrix', runs fine, multitasks well, and does maintain
the 'look and feel' of falling geometric shapes formed from colored
blocks (though very little else about this version resembles SH's product).

< If you are upset at the fact that SH intends to enforce their rights
< under current laws, then write your congressman and tell him to change the
< laws.

What I am upset about is the fact that SH produced a product of inferior
quality, which does not multitask, does not run easily from WB or CLI,
cannot be installed on a hard disk (it is copy protected), and will not
run on a 68020 (a 2620 board, for those who are interested).  Initial
reports indicate that it doesn't run on an A3000, either.

It appears that SH feels the existence of these 'clones' is damaging sales
of their product.  It is entirely possible that the only reason they have
sold as many as they have is due to the addictive nature of the game itself,
not their implementation.  By way of example, I bought my copy sight unseen,
after having tried the Mac version (which can be installed on a hard disk).

< -- Marco

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /o  -- -- --
cseaman@sequent <or>              |||    -- -- -     I'm Outta Here, Man!

jcm8_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Judy) (05/09/90)

In article <34620@sequent.UUCP> cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris Seaman) writes:
>What I am upset about is the fact that SH produced a product of inferior
>quality, which does not multitask, does not run easily from WB or CLI,
>cannot be installed on a hard disk (it is copy protected), and will not
>run on a 68020 (a 2620 board, for those who are interested).  Initial
>reports indicate that it doesn't run on an A3000, either.
>
>By way of example, I bought my copy sight unseen,
>after having tried the Mac version (which can be installed on a hard disk).

I also bought SH's version after having seen the Mac version, which I
liked.  I was really disappointed by the amiga version.  SH didn't even
bother to make a new booklet.  They include the Mac book and a single
sheet of changes for the amiga.  I have only played it twice (once to see
it myself, and once to show it to friend.)  It's too much of a bother to
run.  I can't even make a backup.  SH wants $10 and then they will send
me a backup.  I'd much rather play Obsess (or any of the other PD
games).  It's a much better game and also much more convenient.

-Judy Mathers
jcm8_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu