[comp.sys.amiga] 68030 cache in A3000

C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU ("Eric Edwards") (05/09/90)

Hmm.  This looks like a Dave Haynie question....

How is the data cache handled in the 3000?  On the 2500/30 the cache must
be disabled when using DMA hard disk controlers since they don't flush the
cache.  Does the driver for the onboard SCSI flush the cache?  Are there other
problems that preclude use of the data cache?

   /*/Eric Edwards  c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu or c506634@umcvmb.bitnet/*/
  /*/ "Sir, you are an excellent star ship captain /"We come in peace, /*/
 /*/  but as a taxi cab driver you leave much to  / shoot to kill"    /*/
/*/  be desired" - Spock, "A Piece of the Action"/  --"Star Trekkin'"/*/

steveb@cbmvax.commodore.com (Steve Beats) (05/09/90)

In article <9005090151.AA18998@jade.berkeley.edu> C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU ("Eric Edwards") writes:
>How is the data cache handled in the 3000?  On the 2500/30 the cache must
>be disabled when using DMA hard disk controlers since they don't flush the
>cache.

The SCSI driver for the A3000 knows all about data caches and flushes them
appropriately.  In fact, the latest version of the 2091 driver also checks
for the presence of an 030 and flushes the data cache on reads too.  So, it`s
safe to enable all the caches you want, it`s in there :-)
--
 / __	    __	   \	Commodore/Amiga Inc.	|       This space left