[comp.sys.amiga] Mathematica

jwilson@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM (09/03/88)

[line eater, eat your heart out ]

Stephen Wolfram, the creator of Mathmatica, the amazing math program now
available for the Macintosh ( oops, sorry if that shockes anyone) is interested
in porting the program to other machines, including the Amiga.  However, he
is not sure if that would be a good thing to do.  If you are interested in
this program, you can express your interst by mailing math@wri.com on internet.
Please, don't just mail him if you want to say "yea, we should have everything
the mac has," but aren't seriously interested in purchasing the program.  It
is a serious program;  according to Wolfram, the Mac version requires a
minimum of 2 Meg, and to do anything really interesting, it can take 2.5 - 4 Meg
The software also costs $500 ( regular version ) to $800 ( mac II version).
If you are seriously interested, and have a machine capable of running the
program, you might want to express your interest to Wolfram, and point out
the advantages of porting the program to the Amiga ( the graphics interface,
the knowlegeable user base, etc.)

What followes is a general statment made by Wolfram on the University of
Illinois net.  My signature is at the bottom.  If you have trouble mailing
directly to the Mathmatica people, you can mail to me, and I will forward.

/* Written  1:42 pm  Sep  2, 1988 by liberte@m.cs.uiuc.edu in urbsdc:uiuc.mathematica */
/* ---------- "Mathematica information" ---------- */
The following is from Stephen Wolfram:

-------------------------------------

I've seen quite a bit of talk on the net about Mathematica, and I wanted
to set a few things straight.

1. Mathematica for the Macintosh

1.1 Availability

Mathematica for the Macintosh has been shipping (in quite large
quantities) since the day it was announced: June 23.

We seemed to have confused some people by not following what seems to
be the industry standard of pre-announcing one's product.

You can get Mathematica either directly from us, or from various
dealers (such as ComputerWare in Palo Alto).

Our prices are:
$495 for the standard Macintosh version
$795 for the Mac II version.
Our number is: 1-800-441-MATH (for orders); 217-398-0700 (otherwise).

So far as we know, Mathematica is not available through any discount
mail-order houses.

We have various special deals for universities. One deal involves a huge
discount for large universities that bundle Mathematica with all the Macs
that they resell.

1.2 Memory

Mathematica needs a lot of memory to run well. We had originally thought
that many of users would do rather simple things with Mathematica, so that
2 MB would be enough. Our users seem to be doing MUCH more sophisticated
(and interesting) things than we had expected, and 2 MB isn't usually
enough. With 4 or 5 MB, Mathematica will run really well. With 2.5 MB
you can do a lot more than with 2 MB.

It would be a lot better for all of us if memory were cheaper, or the
Mac had virtual memory. (I'm happy to say that it looks as if the price
by weight of 1 megabit SIMMs has now gone below the current price of gold.)

1.3 Documentation

The main documentation for the kernel of Mathematica (the part that
actually does the computations) is the book that I wrote, which is
published by Addison-Wesley. The title is: "Mathematica: A System
for Doing Mathematics by Computer". There is both a paperback ($29.95)
and a hardback ($44.25) version. If you can't find these books in your local
bookstore, call Addison-Wesley. (The person in charge of the Mathematica
project at Addison-Wesley is Allan Wylde: 415-594-4444.)

We're now shipping the hardback version of the book with the Macintosh
software. (This has depleted supplies of the hardback from the first
printing of the book, so right now, you may only be able to get the
paperback from bookstores.)

1.4 Versions

The current version of Mathematica for the Macintosh is 1.03.
This version includes animation, and various other features not
in 1.0. Unless you specifically call to request it, the first
upgrade we will send you is Version 1.1.

Version 1.1 will be ready to ship within a few weeks
(the software is being tested; manufacturing is underway).
This version includes a number of small fixes, together with some
new features. Most notable among these is the ability to digitize
mouse input -- if you click on a graph, you can have the coordinates
of where you click fed into Mathematica.

So long as you send in your registration card, you will get a free
upgrade to 1.1 when it is ready.

2. Mathematica for Other Machines

2.1 Sun Workstations

Mathematica will be available for Sun-3, Sun-4 and Sun 386i from Sun
Microsystems. They assure us that it will be shipping within a month
or so. Contact your local Sun sales representative for more information.

The product manager for Mathematica at Sun is Andy MacRae (415-336-1047;
amacrae@sun.com).

If you're interested in seeing Mathematica be available on Sun-2's, please
tell Andy MacRae.

2.2 IBM PC RT

Mathematica will be available from IBM on the RT under AIX. Contact
your local IBM sales representative for more information.

The list price for Mathematica on the RT is $2000.

The person responsible for Mathematica in the RT division of IBM is
Vicky Markstein (512-823-4072).

2.3 Silicon Graphics

Mathematica will be available from Silicon Graphics on Iris 4D workstations.
The list price is $8000 (commercial); $4000 (educational).

The interim contact person at Silicon Graphics is Lisa Paul
(415-962-3361).

Mathematica does some neat stuff on the Iris, using the Iris 3D graphics
hardware. You can take 3D objects generated by Mathematica, and manipulate
them in real time using external programs that come with Mathematica for
the Iris.

If you're interested in Mathematica for Iris Series 3000 machines, let
Lisa Paul know.

2.4 Ardent and Stellar

Versions of Mathematica are available from Ardent and Stellar for
their machines. The list price is $8000 (commercial); $4000 (educational).

The contact people are: Jim Newcombe at Ardent (408-732-0400) and
Ian Reid at Stellar (617-964-1000).

2.5 NeXT

Mathematica will be bundled on NeXT's machine, which we all hope will be
out very soon.

2.6 Other Platforms

We are actively working on ports of Mathematica to a number of other
machines -- watch for an announcement around November.

We'd be very interested feedback that anyone can give us on the desirability
of having Mathematica on particular systems, e.g.

Alliant
Apple Mac A/UX
Apollo
Atari Mega
AT&T UNIX PC (3B1)
Commodore Amiga
Convex
Cray UNICOS
DEC VAX: VMS or UNIX
ETA
Hewlett-Packard
IBM mainframes (3090 etc.)
IBM PC's: 386-based under MS-DOS;
 286-based under MS-DOS;
 Under OS/2;
 Under Xenix; etc.
Meiko
Sony
Tektronix.

We are considering making a version of Mathematica for the AT&T UNIX PC
available (probable price: $400). We will do this if there is enough
interest. Please let us know if you're interested (end users, dealers,
distributors, etc.)

There is talk of setting up a consumer-oriented time sharing service
that would let people use Mathematica on a supercomputer with over
a gigabyte of memory. The idea is that you would set up a calculation
on something like a Macintosh, but then, if you ran out of time or
space, you could dial up the supercomputer and run the kernel remotely
on that. Every version of Mathematica has the communication mechanisms
necessary to do this built in. We're trying to gauge the level of
interest in this service. Please let us have your comments.

3. Mathematica User Group etc.

There are moves afoot to start a Mathematica User Group, which will
maintain a library of Mathematica packages and notebooks, produce a
newsletter, and run conferences. It will also coordinate with local
user groups.

The first president of the Mathematica User Group will be
Steve Christensen of NCSA (217-244-0544; steve@ncsa.uiuc.edu).

4. Mathematica Developers

I'm very happy to say that many people have contacted us about doing
third-party development associated with Mathematica.  We are now
in the process of preparing an information kit for potential developers,
that should be ready to send in 1-2 weeks.  Please contact us if you
would like one.

5. Mathematica Objects

5.1 T-Shirts

We made some Mathematica T-shirts, which seem to have been selling even
faster than the program.

They cost $8 each; write or call us if you want one.

5.2 1989 Calendar

We are intending to produce a 1989 Mathematica calender, with large
color pictures generated by Mathematica.  If you've produced some
particularly nice-looking graphics with Mathematica, we'd very much
like to consider it for the calendar.

6. Feedback, Please

We'd really like to know what people are doing with Mathematica.

One of the most satisfying things about writing programs is seeing
people do imaginative and interesting things with them. If you are
doing something exciting with Mathematica, do post a notice about
it to a newsgroup, or send us mail about it.

		-- Stephen Wolfram.

P.S. You can send mail to math@wri.com.
EOF
/* End of text from urbsdc:uiuc.mathematica */

Jeff Wilson
jwilson@xenurus.gould.com
uiucuxc!urbsdc!jwilson

sometimes of the University of Illinois, sometimes of Gould CSD-Urbana Software
Development Center ( a subsidiary of Nippon Mining Corp), always of the Amiga
community.

mriley@pnet02.cts.com (Mark Riley) (09/04/88)

>> Mathematica posting

Ok, that was a very interesting posting, but if I'm not mistaken doesn't
the net frown on blatantly commercial postings?  Even though this is a
cross-posting, I think the article come's across as highly commercial.
I wouldn't mind posting an ad for a thing or two here, but have refrained
since I gathered (maybe incorrectly) that they were not allowed.  I
would think ads were a diservice to the owners of the host machines the net
is running on since they're basicly footing the bill for such
advertisements.

I haven't been on the net all that long, so someone please correct me
if I'm wrong on this count (in which case I'll have someone post an
ad for me on my behalf or some such...)

Ok, flame(off);

-Mark-

UUCP: crash!gryphon!pnet02!mriley   BIX: mriley    LAT: 34.25 N
INET: mriley@pnet02.cts.com         PLINK: SONIX   LONG: 118.78 W

"Hey, I don't _use_ programs, I write them..."  ;-)

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (09/08/88)

In article <26700015@urbsdc> jwilson@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM writes:

>Stephen Wolfram, the creator of Mathmatica, the amazing math program now
>available for the Macintosh ( oops, sorry if that shockes anyone) is interested
>in porting the program to other machines, including the Amiga.  However, he

Great.  269 lines about Mathmatica, and I still don't know what it does.

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

chk@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (C. Harald Koch) (11/04/88)

I have seen many references to a 'thing' called Mathematica. So, for my
dumb question of the day:

	What is Mathematica?

--
C. Harald Koch		NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
chk@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca, chk@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu, chk@chk.mef.unicus.com

a468@mindlink.UUCP (Graham Parkinson) (02/13/89)

   As for Mathematica on the Amiga.  If such a product was available
 purchasing 3Mb of memory would be a reasonable thing to obtain the
 utility of a generalized math library.  Count me in as a Potential
 Amiga Mathematica customer. Graph(Fourier(dataset))) would be great
 in my business of geophysics.
                                   Graham Parkinson
Vancouver B.C. Canada

dhines@utastro.UUCP (Dean Hines) (02/14/89)

There is a rep. visiting our campus this week. I plan to attend
and ask plenty of questions, in addition to lobbying for
an Amiga port. I'll post the results ASAP.

| Dean Hines                       Disclaimer: What? disclaim? Me?  |
| Astronomy                                                         |
| University of Texas               "Always store beer in a dark    |
| dhines@astro.as.utexas.edu          place."                       |
| dhines@utastro.UUCP                         Lazarus Long          |

eberger@godot.psc.edu (Ed Berger) (02/22/89)

This Friday, February 24, 1989, Steve Wolfram is giving a seminar on
Mathematica at the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center.
I have to pick-up/set-up the machine for the Seminar.  He requested,
specifically, a machine with 8MB and color monitor...
I guess we can expect an amiga version to work with 512K :) :) :)
--
Ed Berger						eberger@godot.psc.edu
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center			eberger@cpwpsca.bitnet

dhines@utastro.UUCP (Dean Hines) (02/24/89)

In article <585@godot.psc.edu>, eberger@godot.psc.edu (Ed Berger) writes:
> This Friday, February 24, 1989, Steve Wolfram is giving a seminar on
> Mathematica at the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center.
> I have to pick-up/set-up the machine for the Seminar.  He requested,
> specifically, a machine with 8MB and color monitor...
> I guess we can expect an amiga version to work with 512K :) :) :)
> --
> Ed Berger						eberger@godot.psc.edu
> Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center			eberger@cpwpsca.bitnet

I posted that a rep. was to be here on campus. Well, as luck would have it,
I was unable to attend afterall :-{

Talking with friends, they report that not much was said about amigas (not
suprising since UT has an educational contract w/ Apple).

It sounds like Ed will have much more luck than I ;-)

| Dean Hines                       Disclaimer: What? disclaim? Me?  |
| Astronomy                                                         |
| University of Texas               "Always store beer in a dark    |
| dhines@astro.as.utexas.edu          place."                       |
| dhines@utastro.UUCP                         Lazarus Long          |

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (04/10/89)

     The following information was taken from a brochure dated February 21,
1989, from Wolfram Research, Inc., which gives some information about the
current state of Mathematica.  I also witnessed a monochrome demo of the
program on a Macintosh II, but some of the more advanced things like 3D
graphs and animation were just briefly shown.  Well, here's some info:
                             [hopefully this is NEWS to some people]
M A T H E M A T I C A
- - - - - - - - - - -
A system for doing mathematics by computer.

Numbers-  Mathematica can do numerical computations of any precision.
Formulas-  Mathematica can solve problems in algebra and calculus.
Graphics-  Mathematica can plot functions and data.
Visualization-  Mathematica can generate 2- and 3-dimensional Postscript images
                in black-and-white or color.
Interactive Programming-  Mathematica is a powerful symbolic programming
                          language.
Defining Mathematical Rules-  You can convert formulas from textbooks almost
                              directly into Mathematica transformation rules.
Interactive Documents-  On Macintosh and NeXT computers [Amiga? :-) ],
                        Mathematica lets you mix text, animated graphics, and
                        Mathematica input.
Front Ends-  Special user interfaces take advantage of the capabilities of
             particular computer systems.

** General Facts about Mathematica **
   Purpose:  Numerical, symbolic, and graphical computation; symbolic
             programming language.
   Versions (as of December 1988):  Apple Macintosh and Macintosh II;
                                    386-based MS-DOS systems; Ardent Titan;
                                    IBM AIX/RT; MIPS M/120; NeXT; Silicon
                                    Graphics Iris 4D; Sony NEWS; Stellar
                                    GS-1000; Sun 3, 4 and 386i.  All versions
                                    are full implementations of the
                                    Mathematica system.
            [note that the IBM version is not expected until this summer,
             and an Amiga version was mentioned as being considered.]
   Machine Dependence:  Operation of kernel is independent of machine
                        (except for commands requiring multitasking
                         [Amiga Amiga Amiga!  :-) ]  );
                        front ends are built for specific machines.
   Mode of Operation:  Interpreter (transformation rules are compiled into
                       internal form).  Open architecture for connection to
                       external programs.
   Size of Program:  1.5 - 3 megabytes of compiled code, depending on computer
                     system (150,000 lines of extended C source code).
   Memory Requirements:  At least 1 megabyte of working space; total memory
                         needed depends on memory management used by operating
                         system. (On Macintosh requires at least 2.5 MB;
                         on 386-based MS-DOS systems, 1 MB of extended memory.)

** Prices [paraphrased] **
   Macintosh Systems:      o  Standard Version:  $495
                           o  Macintosh II Version:  $795
   386 Version:  $695  (no floating pt. coprocessor required)
   386/7 Version:  $995  (287 or 387 coprocessor required)
   386/Weitek Version:  $1295  (Weitek coprocessor required)

--
     Well, that's all I dare post here.  I apologize for the length, but this
brochure contains much more info about numerical computation, symbolic
computation, graphics, basic structure, external interface, Mac versions, and
MS-DOS 386 Versions.  The primary documentation for Mathematica is the book:
Mathematica: A System for Doing Mathematics by Computer (768 pages), by
Stephen Wolfram, published by Addison-Wesley Publishing Company  <---+
(Hdcover: $44.25;  Pprback: $29.95;  local bookstore/call 1-800-447-2226.)
     Mathematica's Principal Designer is Stephen Wolfram of Wolfram Research,
Inc. --    Wolfram Research, Inc.
           P.O. Box 6059,
           Champaign, Illinois  61821
           217-398-0700
Mathematica and Postcript and any other proper nouns used in this post are
probably trademarks of someone, so be careful! :-)  If anyone would like more
info from this brochure, send me email and reference any specific topics that
you want info about (I listed them above).  Sorry, if this post is too
commercial in appearance, but I remembered discussion about this program
earlier in the year, and since I have the info, I thought I would share it.

Baird McIntosh

==)=))==)))===))))====)))))=====))))))======)))))))=======Amiga!!!======
disclaimer: if it don't offend YOU, send me email & I'll try again. ;-)
BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet <or> INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu
"IBM -- it BORES me...Macintosh -- how 'bout the PRICE of them apples!"
======Amiga!!!=======(((((((======((((((=====(((((====((((===(((==((=(==

ecphssrw@io.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (04/19/89)

Anyone investigating the purchase of a symbolic math package should
read the review of same in the Feb 3, 1989 issue of _Science_
magazine.  It comes down pretty hard on Mathematica.  A salesman from
Wolfram told me that a new version will ship in about 30 days, but he
didn't know how many of the concerns in the _Science_ article are
addressed.
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu

farhi@athena.mit.edu (Bill Hoston) (02/01/90)

Ed Bartz writes:
>        Sometime ago I read something about someone porting Mathmatica
>to the amiga.  Did anything ever come of that?  If not, has anyone
>tried using the Mac version on the AMAX?  I hate to buy all that
>hardware just for that, but if necessary.......
>
>                                                Thanks,
>
>                                               Ed Bartz

I have heard various rumors about such a port, but my suggestion is
that you get Maple from Maple Waterloo Software instead.  Maple seems to
enjoy far more acceptance in the world of symbolic mathematics and is
available for the Amiga.  I think the general opinion is that it is both
more able and more stable.  It does lack the glitz of Mathematica's
Macintosh user interface.

I own the package and am happy with it (though it would be nice to
have an A26x0 board for some speedup).  I believe the recommended
configuration is 1M and a hard drive.  I can't remember how much I
paid for the program.  The list price is either $495 or $395 Canadian.
This was with an educational discount.

Version 4.2 is available for the present AmigaOS.  Some other
machines are up to version 4.3. When I last spoke to a rep. of WMSI,
he said they were working on v4.3 for AMIX.  (I don't think anyone
will mind my having said that).

	Bill Hoston
	farhi@athena.mit.edu

jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (02/05/90)

	All of the versions of Mathematica that I have seen on the Macintosh
require 256K ROM's which Amax does not support, but there may be a 128K ROM
version available.  You also need a hard drive to effectively if at all use
Mathematica (the kernel is a 3 megabyte file on the NeXT) which will not be
supported until the next version of Amax with one or two exceptions.

	Post what you discover.  I would like to have Mathematica on my
machine once get the money (to get Mathematica and some more RAM beyond my
3 megabytes for it).

James

harper@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/19/90)

I have seen Mathematica running on an Amiga 2500/30 with 8 Meg ram and HD with
no problems.  We tried a lot of stuff, and it never encountered any problems.

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (02/21/90)

In article <15500017@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> harper@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I have seen Mathematica running on an Amiga 2500/30 with 8 Meg ram and HD with
>no problems.  We tried a lot of stuff, and it never encountered any problems.

Would you care to provide some dates and times when you saw this?  I recall
that Wolfram Research Inc. said they had no plans to port Mathematica to the
Amiga.  In fact, maybe you could provide the name(s) and e-mail address(es)
of someone who can verify this.  Preferably someone from WRI.
--
 Bill Murphy                          murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Enjoying my Amiga 2000, but holding out for a real computer: The Amiga 3000!!

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (02/21/90)

In article <15500017@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> harper@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I have seen Mathematica running on an Amiga 2500/30 with 8 Meg ram and HD with
>no problems.  We tried a lot of stuff, and it never encountered any problems.

  Do you mean under AMAX? Could you elaborate?

  Jim

dlj@hpfcso.HP.COM (Dave Jobusch) (02/21/90)

>/ hpfcso:comp.sys.amiga / harper@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu /  6:39 pm  Feb 18, 1990 /
>I have seen Mathematica running on an Amiga 2500/30 with 8 Meg ram and HD with
>no problems.  We tried a lot of stuff, and it never encountered any problems.
>----------

	Huh?

	Since when is Mathematica available on the Amiga ??!!!!

+----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
|          ___         |       David L. Jobusch                              |
|         /  /         |       Distributed Systems Suppport                  |
| HEWLETT/hp/PACKARD   |       3404 East Harmony Road  MS#68                 |
|       /__/           |       Ft. Collins, CO 80525                         |
|  Fort Collins Site   |       Internet: dlj@hpfcla.hp.com                   |
|Information Technology|       Voice   : 303.229.6637                        |
+----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------+

ja26612@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/21/90)

/* Written  6:51 pm  Feb 18, 1990 by harper@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.amiga */
I have seen Mathematica running on an Amiga 2500/30 with 8 Meg ram and HD with
no problems.  We tried a lot of stuff, and it never encountered any problems.

/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.amiga */

harper@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/21/90)

Sorry for any confusion I caused, but the article I posted a response to
was referring to running the MAC Mathematica on the Amiga using AMAX.
  This is what I was referring to, and it did run fine on the Amiga.

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/22/90)

     I'll back you up on that.  My roommate works for Mathematica here on
campus at UIUC.  They have no plans to write Mathematica for the Amiga.
     Let's hope we'll see Maple instead.

mann@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Shannon Mann) (02/26/90)

In article <46200029@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>     I'll back you up on that.  My roommate works for Mathematica here on
>campus at UIUC.  They have no plans to write Mathematica for the Amiga.
>     Let's hope we'll see Maple instead.

Maple is already available for the amiga.  I wrote to them and they sent me
out a contract and everything.

Student cost $500.00

Perhaps some other person here at waterloo could tell you more.  I lent
the specs they sent me to a friend...

I think they can be reached at wmsi@watmum (could be another machine, I
am not sure...)

        -=-
-=- Shannon Mann -=- mann@watserv1.UWaterloo.Ca
        -=-

rumford@afitamy.fidonet.org (Don Rumford) (03/02/90)

> I'll back you up on that.  My roommate works for
> Mathematica here on
> campus at UIUC.  They have no plans to write Mathematica for
> the Amiga.
> Let's hope we'll see Maple instead.

How about MatLab and Spice, already available for Amy in PD?

                                                   -Don-

--

Don Rumford - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!rumford

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (03/06/90)

In article <145.25EE1610@afitamy.fidonet.org> rumford@afitamy.fidonet.org (Don Rumford) writes:

>How about MatLab and Spice, already available for Amy in PD?

  MatLab is a linear algebra package, and as such, is nice, but it
hardly fills the void left by Mathematica, which not only does linear
algebra, but also does arbitrary precision math, know about every
special function you've ever heard of, does symbolic math, does
various kinds of numerical things (integration, limits, solutions
of nonlinear equations), and does very nice graphics. I've been using
it on the Suns and the Mac, and I've been very impressed.

  I'm not an electrical engineer, but isn't Spice a circuit layout
program?

  I would like to see a demo of Maple. I've heard that it's available
on the Amiga, but I don't think I've ever heard a review.

>--
>
>Don Rumford - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
>UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!rumford
>ARPA: rumford@afitamy.fidonet.org
>---------> The AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway  Dayton, Oh.  1:110/300
>Give me Amiga or give me boredom!

  Jim Crotinger (jac@gandalf.llnl.gov)

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (05/02/90)

Ok, so Mathematica doesn't exist for the Amiga. (And if it did, I don't have
4-5 megs to run it in...)

Well, what is the best mathematics program available? We use PC-MATLAB(tm) a
lot here in the education, and I rather like it. It runs on 640K AT clones,
it's fast and it has lots and lots of tools not available in the freeware
version of Matlab for Amiga. (Which isn't fast on a 7 MHz machine..!)
Is there a commercial package that performs somewhere at PC-MATLAB's standards?

Mike
--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
  //  Dept. of Comp. Eng.     BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se

vinsci@ra.abo.fi (Leonard Norrgard) (05/03/90)

No, Mathematica does not exist for the Amiga, but MAPLE does! Maple comes
from Waterloo Maple Software, and looks very good in the brochures I have
here. PC Magazine calls Maple "Worthy Competitor for Mathematica" in its
February 27th, 1990 "First looks review".
  The version available for the Amiga under AmigaDOS is 4.2. For more info
(including ordering info) contact:

	Mrs. Rita France
	Waterloo Maple Software
	160 Columbia St. W.
	Waterloo, Ontario
	Canada N2L 3L3
	(519) 747-2373
	FAX: (519) 747-5284

Or E-Mail wmsi@daisy.uwaterloo.ca
	  wmsi@daisy.waterloo.edu

--
Leonard Norrgard, vinsci@ra.abo.fi, vinsci@finabo.bitnet, +358-21-6375762, EET.

stevel@arrester.caltech.edu (Steven J. Ludtke) (05/03/90)

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) writes:

>Well, what is the best mathematics program available? We use PC-MATLAB(tm) a
>lot here in the education, and I rather like it. It runs on 640K AT clones,
>it's fast and it has lots and lots of tools not available in the freeware
>version of Matlab for Amiga. (Which isn't fast on a 7 MHz machine..!)
>Is there a commercial package that performs somewhere at PC-MATLAB's standards?

Well, there is a version of MATLAB for the amiga. It's PD in the current
release, but the author says the next one will be commercial or shareware. It's
not Mathematica, but it's quite nice and functional. The current release even
has a nice little built in graphing package. I can't remember where I found it,
but it was probably ftp'ed from somewhere.
stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu          CS-> | <-Ph
stevel@citiago  (Bitnet)               \|/               I DO ...
72335,1537      (Compuserve)            ?

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (05/03/90)

stevel@arrester.caltech.edu (Steven J. Ludtke) writes:

>Well, there is a version of MATLAB for the amiga. It's PD in the current
>release, but the author says the next one will be commercial or shareware. It's
>not Mathematica, but it's quite nice and functional. The current release even

As I said, the PD MATLAB available for Amiga is a pain in the ass when you've
run PC-MATLAB(tm) (which is commercial and costs quite a lot of money.)
I currently have two different versions of Amiga MATLAB and they are both
like swimming in glue. But I guess if I buy an accelerator with 32-bit RAM
and 68882 it will go faster... One shouldn't really expect a program running
on a 7 MHz Amiga to be as fast as on an AT with FPU running at 16.

The thing is I miss all those tools avalible in PC-MATLAB and not in the Amiga
version.

Mike
--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
  //  Dept. of Comp. Eng.     BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se
\X/   U of Lulea, SWEDEN      ARPA:     d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
			      UUCP:  {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sm.luth.se!d88-mbe

kmh20822@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/07/90)

Mathmatica does work with AMAX if you have an '030 card!
	Also, I heard that originally the Amiga was going to be one of the
first micros to get mathmatica. One of my friends even claimed to be helping
to debug it. I never heard why it never got done..
-kevin

ONLY  // Kevin Hill | kmh20822@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu | "The amount of intelligence
AMIGA//  a.k.a      | +-----------------------+ | on Earth is constant.
CAN!//   Eddie Lee  | University of Illinois    | Unfortunately the population
\\ //    Osbourne   |   @ Urbana / Champaign    | keeps growing!!"
 \X/ +--> INSERT PRO-AMIGA / ANTI-MAC SLOGAN HERE!! <--+    ;->

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) writes:

>Ok, so Mathematica doesn't exist for the Amiga. (And if it did, I don't have
>4-5 megs to run it in...)

>Is there a commercial package that performs somewhere at PC-MATLAB's standards?

The Amiga port of Matlab was done by Jim Locker (who has been seen around
on this net). At least his name is in the readme file that comes with the
package I downloaded.

Now, there has been some discussion about Matlab, and I am wondering if I
should send it to the comp.binaries.amiga group (I don't have the source code)
But since it looks to me like Jim Locker's baby, I don't want to step on any
toes. So... Jim, if you are out there, how about sending it off to
comp.binaries/sources.amiga? It's an interesting package and with the number
of students here on the net it will come in handy.

I will wait a month and if I don't see it, or hear anything telling me not
to post it, I will send it off. [It's BIG!]

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                     | PH: (502) 968-DISK

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (05/09/90)

sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>I will wait a month and if I don't see it, or hear anything telling me not
>to post it, I will send it off. [It's BIG!]

I don't think that'll be necessary. It HAS been posted to c.b.a (and c.s.a I
think). Anyone who wants it can get it via anonymous ftp from xanth.cs.odu.edu
or wuarchive.wustl.edu in the usenet archives.

I still haven't received any useful answers to my original question though,
so I'll ask again:
Is there a commercial package that performs somewere at PC-MATLABS standards?
NOTE: If you have never seen PC-MATLAB(tm) by Marc Ullman, you obviously can't
answer this question!

Mike