[comp.sys.amiga] Cable for HP Deskjet Plus, Help!

tulloh@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM (Robert Tulloh) (05/05/90)

Hello, I need some help with a cable problem from my A500 parallel port
to an HP Deskjet Plus printer. I bought the printer from a dealer who
does not sell Amigas. I called an Amiga dealer to ask what sort of cable
I would need and I was told that a straight through Centronix(tm) cable
would be OK. The dealer sold be a straight through IBM parallel cable.

Unfortunately, when I hooked up the printer, it doesn't work (all the
lights blink and the carriage jumps every few seconds). The manual
indicates this might be a ram/buffer problem, but if I disconnect the
cable, the printer self-tests fine. I suspect the cable. I looked at
the Amiga manuals and noticed that under the description for the parallel
port it says pin 14 will supply +5 volts. It also says that peripherals
not needing power should not use that pin. Well, the DJ+ has its own
power supply and the cable is straight through.... The DJ+ manual indicates
that pin 14 is unused, but could this be the problem anyway?

OK, all you DJ+ owners out there, I am real anxious to try this thing
out, especially since it cost nearly as much as I paid for my Amiga.
Thanks for any and all help!

Rob Tulloh

MCC, Deductive Computing      | INET :  tulloh@mcc.com | Phone: (512) 338-3704
3500 West Balcones Center Dr. | UUCP :  ...!cs.utexas.edu!hippo!cantor!tulloh
Austin, TX 78759              | GENIE: R.TULLOH
--
MCC, Deductive Computing      | INET :  tulloh@mcc.com | Phone: (512) 338-3704
3500 West Balcones Center Dr. | UUCP :  ...!cs.utexas.edu!hippo!cantor!tulloh
Austin, TX 78759              | GENIE: R.TULLOH

padre@dsoft.UUCP (Brian McNett) (05/08/90)

After I received my DeskJet printer through the mail, I ran down to the
local IBM computer store and bought a cable labeled "printer cable" and
it's worked since with no problems whatsoever. You may want to pick up
a new cable. A generic, IBM style parallel printer cable.

michele@chicco.SUBLINK.ORG (Michele Cei) (05/08/90)

in article <45@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM>, tulloh@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM (Robert Tulloh) says:
> Hello, I need some help with a cable problem from my A500 parallel port
> to an HP Deskjet Plus printer. I bought the printer from a dealer who
> does not sell Amigas. I called an Amiga dealer to ask what sort of cable
> I would need and I was told that a straight through Centronix(tm) cable
> would be OK. The dealer sold be a straight through IBM parallel cable.

I have an A500 and a HP Deskjet plus printer like you, and i use the same
cable to print from amiga and from my IBM-PC with no problems.

The cable is a normal straight through IBM parallel cable.

I think that your problem is in the preference program on your amiga or
your cable is broken, but the cabel you bought is a right one.

Michele.
--
Michele Cei.                          |  SUBLINK: michele@chicco.SUBLINK.ORG
V. De Gasperi 3, 27022 Casorate I     |

tulloh@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM (Robert Tulloh) (05/08/90)

Hi there!

Thanks for all the mail messages from DJ+ owners. The suggestions I received
had many ideas for me to try. Get a new cable was most popular followed by
cut pin 14 on the cable I have. As it turns out, I disabled pin 14 and it
still wouldn't work. I went to the dealer, tried out the cable and my
printer on a (ugh!) PS2. Both worked great (the PS2 did too, but who
would want one of those for as much as the dealer was asking for it!).

The dealer wasn't any help (what's a Commodore Amiga?) so I marched to
Radio Shack and bought a $9.95 RS232 jumper box. I hooked it up with all pins
connected except for pins 14, 15, and 16. The printer worked like a champ.

I am now reconsidering the need for pin 16. At least two e-mail messages
I received had pin diagrams showing pin 16 being used. Anyhow, thanks for all
the mail messages, I am now happily printing!

Notes:
- I did call HP Tech Support, they were very nice, but they were not
  particularly useful. I can read manuals.

- HP is offering $150 rebates on the DJ+ now through June 30, those of
  you who may have been considering buying one may like to check it out.

- I really like the printer, no complaints so far!

Rob Tulloh
--

tulloh@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM (Robert Tulloh) (05/09/90)

In article <47@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM>, tulloh@cantor.ACA.MCC.COM (Robert Tulloh) writes:
> ... stuff deleted....
>
> .... I hooked it up with all pins
> connected except for pins 14, 15, and 16. The printer worked like a champ.
>
> I am now reconsidering the need for pin 16. At least two e-mail messages
> I received had pin diagrams showing pin 16 being used. Anyhow, thanks for all
> the mail messages, I am now happily printing!

Well, at least on the cable I have, pin 16 definitely needs to be
disconnected. So, I now have a working DJ+ with pins 14, 15, and 16
disconnected (at the Amiga end).

Rob Tulloh