[comp.sys.amiga] 68000 in a 3000?

micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) (05/04/90)

Why is everybody asking about a 68040 in the 3000?
What I want to know is:

  Is it possible to build a decelerator (retardator? ;-) card
  with a 68000 so that I can run all my old games and demos?

--

 \_/   Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN
  V                           | micke@slaka.sirius.se
  |      Absolut Software     | micke@slaka.UUCP
 ~~~                          | {mcvax,seismo}!sunic!liuida!slaka!micke

evil@bbn.com (DavE Nye) (05/05/90)

In article <55297.AA55297@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
>Why is everybody asking about a 68040 in the 3000?
>What I want to know is:
>
>  Is it possible to build a decelerator (retardator? ;-) card
>  with a 68000 so that I can run all my old games and demos?

     That's just it!! If they were written correctly they *WILL* RUN!
Just a Lot faster... }:)

>--
>
> \_/   Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN

-=TheEvilAmigaHacker
---   ---------   -----------------------  DavE Nye,  a.k.a. -=TheEvilOne     -
---   ---------   -----------------------  evil@bbn.com      THE Evil Empire  -
---         ---         ---         -----  evil%bbn.com@relay.cs.net          -
---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   -----  ...!harvard!bbn!dnye               -
---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   -----  BBN, Inc., Cambridge, Mass.        -
---         ---         ---   ---   -Inc-  Employers computer, MY opinion..   -

meadb@boulder.Colorado.EDU (MEAD BENNETT ROSS) (05/07/90)

In article <55781@bbn.BBN.COM> evil@mikey.bbn.com (DavE Nye) writes:
>In article <55297.AA55297@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
>>Why is everybody asking about a 68040 in the 3000?
>>What I want to know is:
>>
>>  Is it possible to build a decelerator (retardator? ;-) card
>>  with a 68000 so that I can run all my old games and demos?
>>
>     That's just it!! If they were written correctly they *WILL* RUN!
>Just a Lot faster... }:)

	A friend and I had the chance to do some playing on the amiga 3000 here in
town, and found that the two games that we tried were just unplayable.  Zonx
(Its a public domain game that was posted last year.) was absolutely unplayable.
The enemies would get to your corner before you even realized that it was time
to move.  Time bandits was only a little better.  I think that a fix is in
order.  Maybe even a program that does superflous math to slow down the
processor, even if the program tries to take over the whole computer...  No :-).
						-Bennett

|  |  meadb%tramp@boulder.colorado.edu |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
 |  |  | meadb!tramp!boulder!ncar....   |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
  |  |  |  |meadb!tramp!boulder!sunybcs!rutgers...|  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |

mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) (05/07/90)

In article <55781@bbn.BBN.COM> evil@bbn.com (DavE Nye) writes:

> In article <55297.AA55297@slaka.sirius.se> micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson) writes:
> >Why is everybody asking about a 68040 in the 3000?
> >What I want to know is:
> >
> >  Is it possible to build a decelerator (retardator? ;-) card
> >  with a 68000 so that I can run all my old games and demos?
> >
>      That's just it!! If they were written correctly they *WILL* RUN!
> Just a Lot faster... }:)

But they are not written correctly :-) So I would like to see decelator
too!

> > \_/   Mikael Karlsson, Lovsattersvagen 10, S-585 98  LINKOPING, SWEDEN
> -=TheEvilAmigaHacker

 Mikko
: Mikko Tsokkinen         : I'm not a number ... I'm a free man       :
: Internet mt87692@tut.fi : UUCP tut!mt87692 : Bitnet mt87692@fintut  :

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (05/08/90)

     Seems like because of all the trouble and a limited market, it would be
cheaper picking up a used A1000 or A500 for a couple hundred bucks and
using it to play games.  Who a decelerator hack be that much more cheaper?

mitchell@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Evan Mitchell) (05/09/90)

In article <46200065@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>     Seems like because of all the trouble and a limited market, it would be
>cheaper picking up a used A1000 or A500 for a couple hundred bucks and
>using it to play games.  Who a decelerator hack be that much more cheaper?

Why can't this be done with software a software program like digicel?  Is
the 68030 so advanced that it can't emulate (completely) a 68000?

-Evan Jay Mitchell
 mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu