[comp.sys.amiga] SWAMPED!

v128ll9e@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Richard B Wicks) (05/08/90)

I'm the one who made a posting "I've got a PD ST Emulator!  Who wants it?"
Right now, I am swamped.  Be patient, I'll get it to you in a week or so.

-Rich

gt5784a@prism.gatech.EDU (Walter G. Reynolds (JJ)) (05/08/90)

In article <24894@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v128ll9e@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>I'm the one who made a posting "I've got a PD ST Emulator!  Who wants it?"
>Right now, I am swamped.  Be patient, I'll get it to you in a week or so.
>
>-Rich

Well, I have that emulator, also.. although I have no ST software to
try it on.  But anyways, to eliminate some of your swampishness, I'll
upload it to xanth.  It should be on there by the time you (or anyone)
read this.

--
Disclaimer:  None needed... my lawyer makes more money than yours.
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt5784a

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (05/08/90)

In article <9049@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt5784a@prism.gatech.EDU (Walter G. Reynolds (JJ)) writes:
>In article <24894@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v128ll9e@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>>I'm the one who made a posting "I've got a PD ST Emulator!  Who wants it?"
>>Right now, I am swamped.  Be patient, I'll get it to you in a week or so.
>>
>>-Rich
>
>Well, I have that emulator, also.. although I have no ST software to
>try it on.  But anyways, to eliminate some of your swampishness, I'll
>upload it to xanth.  It should be on there by the time you (or anyone)
>read this.

As a former ST owner and future A3000 owner, I must wonder how this
emulation can be accomplished without copying the ST ROMs.  If
this is being done in some sort of pseudo-legal fasion, then it
is truly an achievement, but if the Atari ROMs are being pirated,
look for trouble from a very litigous Atari Corp.  Personally, I
hope it is true and I hope that they aren't hassled by Atari so
I can use my ST software library on the A3000 until I build
up my new Amy library.

>--
>Disclaimer:  None needed... my lawyer makes more money than yours.
>uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt5784a
>ARPA: gt5784a@prism.gatech.edu

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |there's a plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |Air Warrior is king!
------------------------------+---------------------------

slfields@uokmax.uucp (Scott L Fields) (05/09/90)

In article <1990May8.142804.2305@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>As a former ST owner and future A3000 owner, I must wonder how this
>emulation can be accomplished without copying the ST ROMs.  If
>this is being done in some sort of pseudo-legal fasion, then it
>is truly an achievement, but if the Atari ROMs are being pirated,
>look for trouble from a very litigous Atari Corp.  Personally, I
>hope it is true and I hope that they aren't hassled by Atari so
>I can use my ST software library on the A3000 until I build
>up my new Amy library.

I would find using the st emulator on the 3000 next to impossible. Atari
had to do some extensive work on the rom to get the TT to work right.
They did quite a few NO-NO's with instructions that the 68000 didn't use
but the 68020/30 did. If it does work right, hey, sounds good to me.

marc@altitude.CAM.ORG (Marc Boucher) (05/09/90)

<
<>-Rich

<Well, I have that emulator, also.. although I have no ST software to
<try it on.  But anyways, to eliminate some of your swampishness, I'll
<upload it to xanth.  It should be on there by the time you (or anyone)
<read this.
	To emulate atari, one needs TOS roms. Nobody mentionned that special
hardware was required to read real atari roms. Should I conclude that the roms
are contained in the software? This is illegal, folks.

>--
>Disclaimer:  None needed... my lawyer makes more money than yours.
	than mine.. could be. but atari lawyers? :-)

--
Courrier..   Internet: marc@CAM.ORG         UUCP: uunet!philmtl!altitude!marc
Telephone..  (514) Maison, 466-8932         DHD, 489-8989       Fax, 489-0242

jon@sun.udel.edu (Jonathan R Deutsch) (05/09/90)

In article <1990May8.215742.11497@altitude.CAM.ORG> marc@altitude.CAM.ORG (Marc Boucher) writes:
>	To emulate atari, one needs TOS roms. Nobody mentionned that special
>hardware was required to read real atari roms. Should I conclude that the roms
>are contained in the software? This is illegal, folks.
>
>--
>Courrier..   Internet: marc@CAM.ORG         UUCP: uunet!philmtl!altitude!marc
>Telephone..  (514) Maison, 466-8932         DHD, 489-8989       Fax, 489-0242

	To clear the air (*cough!*) of all this TOS legal thing:
In order to use the PD ST Emulator, one must acquire TOS on DISK!
Only the very old ST's came with TOS on disk (much like the Amiga 1000 with
Kickstart).  I don't own an ST, but if I am correct, most commercial auto-book
programs come with the essentials of TOS on them, so TOS on disk is not
 necessary for the ST Emulator to work.
	I have also found out that it is very difficult to get your hands
on a LEGAL copy of TOS on disk.

So, to sum it up, THIS PROGARAM IS LEGAL.  Y'all should relax a bit.
Please, no flames.

       |  |   |\       | jon@sun.acs.udel.edu | "For my 2 cents,  |
       | \|on |/eutsch | \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | I'd pay a dollar" |