[comp.sys.amiga] ATTENTION! regarding WB2.0

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (05/06/90)

In article <9004292324.AA15635@jade.berkeley.edu> C503719@UMCVMB.missouri.edu ("Baird McIntosh") writes:
<
<   - PR said 2.0 will not be out until September (FOUR whole months from now!)
<   - 3000s don't ship until sometime in July
<   - Current developer and dealer demo 3000s are running BETA 2.0
<        that is SetCPU'ed (roughly-speaking) into fast ram from the hddrive.

The A3000s currently are being supplied with beta 4 versions of 2.0. A
few details on the WB have been changed so it looks different than the
Byte photos or even the pix in the manuals. The OS is loaded off of the
harddrive to make updates real easy. And in order to let users make use of
their machine right now CA gave us 1.3 by merely holding down both
mouse buttons when booting up.

<   - 3000s shipped in July will have a more solid 3.0 (probably GAMMA)
<   - When 2.0 has been thoroughly debugged it will be put into ROM and
<        become available to the users in its *final* form.

Early A3000 owners will be getting free ROM upgrades when the final version
is out (from what I hear).

<
<Factors to consider regarding release of 2.0:
<
<   - Users want an OS that has been thoroughly tested and debugged.
<   - Users want their favorite applications to work with the new OS; thus,
<        developers must be given time to debug and update any of their
<        software.  Otherwise, users will get their greedy hands on the OS
<        and then start complaining when their favorite program won't run.
<        (I fully expect this complaining to occur no matter when 2.0 is
<         released.)
<   - Users want documentation; 2.0 manuals must be printed explaining the
<        most complicated, feature-rich OS in the Amiga's history.

The manuals that come with the box look quite finished. There is even
an AREXX manual.

<   - Commodore needs to get up to speed duplicating disks, manuals, etc.
<        once 2.0 is complete.
<
<And finally, **USERS MUST WAIT!!**  I mean give 'the Net' a break, people!
<When 2.0 becomes available, then you can worry about whether you can buy
<the 2000 enhancer if you have a 500, blahblahblah.  Noone will have the final
<release of 2.0 until September!  All releases prior to that will be beta or
<gamma versions.  Things.  Take.  Time.
<

About 6 weeks ago Commodore held a series of developers meetings across
the country showing us the '3000 (damn it was hard to not blab the details
across the net!). Even then some of the lib functions will still up in the
air. "Should we have routine to do such and such right? or fix the
current one and break alot of software. . .".

<I'd feel really good knowing that just 1 or 2 of you who were about to post
<a "Why isn't 2.0 available on my 500, etc. etc."-type question are now
<reconsidering.  If more than 10 people choose not to post, I'd be likely to
<believe I'm a miracle-worker.     Well, I've said my piece.  No more.
<
<| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |

So the moral of the story is, the system must be stable before it ships so
avoid all of the bad press the 1.0 caused. People still say that the Amiga
sucks because of its unreliable OS, based on what they had heard about
1.0 at the introduction.

BTW. Neat discovery about 2.0 : The shell window buffers up enough text to
fill up the entire screen. That means that you can have a small shell
type in list or dir (which will scroll off of the screen) then resize the
window to fill up the entire screen. The lost text will magically appear
at the top to fill up the window!. Or if the window is narrow causing
lines to wrap around, widening it will case the lines to redraw full length.
It's really cool!

                                                      *** mike smithwick ***
"This is a tale of sex, lies and junkfood" - Twin Peaks

[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]

guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com (05/07/90)

In article <48758@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick)
writes:

> BTW. Neat discovery about 2.0 : The shell window buffers up enough text to
> fill up the entire screen. That means that you can have a small shell
> type in list or dir (which will scroll off of the screen) then resize the
> window to fill up the entire screen. The lost text will magically appear
> at the top to fill up the window!. Or if the window is narrow causing
> lines to wrap around, widening it will case the lines to redraw full length.
> It's really cool!

Very neat, but it would be even neater (more neat?) if the shell window had
a vertical (and horizontal) scroll bar to let you get *several* screens back.

---
W. John Guineau   			guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation
Marlboro MA. 01752

swann@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (stephen swann) (05/08/90)

In article <11270@shlump.nac.dec.com> guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com writes:
>In article <48758@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick)
>writes:
>> window to fill up the entire screen. The lost text will magically appear
>> at the top to fill up the window!. Or if the window is narrow causing
>> lines to wrap around, widening it will case the lines to redraw full length.
>
>Very neat, but it would be even neater (more neat?) if the shell window had
>a vertical (and horizontal) scroll bar to let you get *several* screens back.

Yeah, I second the motion.  So who wants to write the PD hack to make a
Shell window act like an "edit" window?  Or is this too much like a look-
and-feel of X?  :-)

-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-
\  "Speak to me in many voices; make  \   Steve Swann                       \
/     them all sound like one... "    /   v061q3x6@ubvmsa.bitnet            /
\               - Blue Oyster Cult    \   swann@autarch.acsu.buffalo.edu    \
-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-=#=-

gt5784a@prism.gatech.EDU (Walter G. Reynolds (JJ)) (05/08/90)

In article <24826@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> swann@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (stephen swann) writes:
>In article <11270@shlump.nac.dec.com> guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com writes:
>>In article <48758@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick)
>>writes:
[stuff deleted]

>>Very neat, but it would be even neater (more neat?) if the shell window had
>>a vertical (and horizontal) scroll bar to let you get *several* screens back.

There already *IS* a cli hack that gives you a scroll-bar.  It let's you
define how many lines you want for your buffer, and doesn't (appear, via
avail) to require that memory to be chip mem.  It's called CB, and is
available (I believe) on Xanth.  Really quite nice.  It will also allow
you to produce hardcopies of CLI sessions.  In addition, the author
sais (in the DOC file) that it will work with any shell.  (I know
I probably shoulda emailed this, but it seemed like this could be useful to
several people.)

--
Disclaimer:  None needed... my lawyer makes more money than yours.
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt5784a

dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) (05/08/90)

In article <24826@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> swann@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (stephen swann) writes:
>Yeah, I second the motion.  So who wants to write the PD hack to make a
>Shell window act like an "edit" window?  Or is this too much like a look-
>and-feel of X?  :-)

Check out cb.lzh in /incoming/amiga at xanth.  It provides a console
buffer of user-determined length, and creates a scroll bar to page through
your output.  It's a really nice little product.

Dave Buchthal

guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com (05/08/90)

In article <9037@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt5784a@prism.gatech.EDU
(Walter G. Reynolds (JJ)) writes:

> >>Very neat, but it would be even neater (more neat?) if the shell window had
> >>a vertical (and horizontal) scroll bar to let you get *several*
screens back.

> There already *IS* a cli hack that gives you a scroll-bar.  It let's you
> define how many lines you want for your buffer, and doesn't (appear, via
> avail) to require that memory to be chip mem.  It's called CB, and is
> available (I believe) on Xanth.  Really quite nice.  It will also allow
> you to produce hardcopies of CLI sessions.  In addition, the author
> sais (in the DOC file) that it will work with any shell.  (I know
> I probably shoulda emailed this, but it seemed like this could be useful to
> several people.)

Could someone post this (CB) to comp.binaries/sources.amiga?  DEC has this
thing about FTP outside the world and I'm still trying to convince BITFTP@PUCC
to talk to me :-)

john

---

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (05/09/90)

In article <11333@shlump.nac.dec.com> guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com writes:

> > There already *IS* a cli hack that gives you a scroll-bar.  It let's you
> > define how many lines you want for your buffer, and doesn't (appear, via
> > avail) to require that memory to be chip mem.  It's called CB, and is
> > available (I believe) on Xanth.  Really quite nice.  It will also allow
> > you to produce hardcopies of CLI sessions.  In addition, the author
> > sais (in the DOC file) that it will work with any shell.

That hasn't been my experience, at least with the version of CB I
downloaded from Compuserve.  I tried using it with Shell v4.01A, and
with Sksh v1.3, and after one or two shell commands, the shell freezes
up and won't accept any more input.  The only way to get rid of it is
to recall GOMF 3.0 to kill it.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730
(617)271-7753

ARPA:  sdl@mbunix.mitre.org
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
				-- J. Napier (a.k.a. "The Joker")
--

guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com (05/09/90)

In atricle <SDL.90May8192650@lyra.linus.mitre.org>, sdl@linus.mitre.org
(Steven D. Litvinchouk) writes:

****> In article <11333@shlump.nac.dec.com> guineau@wjg.enet.dec.com writes:
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > There already *IS* a cli hack that gives you a scroll-bar.  It let's you
> > > define how many lines you want for your buffer, and doesn't (appear, via
> > > avail) to require that memory to be chip mem.  It's called CB, and is
> > > available (I believe) on Xanth.  Really quite nice.  It will also allow
> > > you to produce hardcopies of CLI sessions.  In addition, the author
> > > sais (in the DOC file) that it will work with any shell.

> That hasn't been my experience, at least with the version of CB I
> downloaded from Compuserve.  I tried using it with Shell v4.01A, and
> with Sksh v1.3, and after one or two shell commands, the shell freezes
> up and won't accept any more input.  The only way to get rid of it is
> to recall GOMF 3.0 to kill it.

I didn't write that. I'd never seen this program till last night :-)

However <gt5784a@prism.gatech.edu> (Walter G. Reynolds JJJ) was kind enough
to mail me a copy. I tried it out last night and it worked great! Just what
I've been looking for. It even appeared to work fine on the local A3000
(i.e. AmigaOS 2.0).

I do have one minor gripe, though. Once you get into 'review mode', you must
hit 'q' to get back to the console. I'd prefer it allow me to just type
anything (other than the arrow keys - nice feature) so I can copy and paste
stuff I find back in the buffer.

I wonder if the sources are around?

---

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (05/10/90)

In article <11932@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu>, dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) writes:
> In article <24826@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> swann@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (stephen swann) writes:
>>Yeah, I second the motion.  So who wants to write the PD hack to make a
>>Shell window act like an "edit" window?  Or is this too much like a look-
>>and-feel of X?  :-)
>
> Check out cb.lzh in /incoming/amiga at xanth.  It provides a console
> buffer of user-determined length, and creates a scroll bar to page through
> your output.  It's a really nice little product.
>
> Dave Buchthal

Could someone send this to Fred Fish??
Thanks Alan