[comp.sys.amiga] What is the All-Time Best-Selling Computer ?

oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) (05/03/90)

In article <29462@cup.portal.com> Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com writes:
>The Commodore 64 is the correct answer by far!  Hard to believe, huh?

Not only is this hard to believe, it is also wrong. The C64 has only sold
about 9 million units. The Atari VCS has sold over 17 million units.
The VCS was intended for video games, and had only 128 bytes of on-board
RAM (yes, that is bytes, not Kbytes.), Yet plug in cartridges enhanced its
capabilities. A version of chess was even shipped for it.

God bless America, we have the smartest closets in the world.
--
-- David Phillip Oster - Note new address. Old one has gone Bye Bye.
-- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster

sterling@cbmvax.commodore.com (Rick Sterling) (05/04/90)

In article <17782@well.sf.ca.us> oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) writes:
> In article <29462@cup.portal.com> Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com writes:
> >The Commodore 64 is the correct answer by far!  Hard to believe, huh?
>
> Not only is this hard to believe, it is also wrong. The C64 has only sold
> about 9 million units. The Atari VCS has sold over 17 million units.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  pretty old datum here.

> The VCS was intended for video games, and had only 128 bytes of on-board
          ^^^                               ^^^
  past tense right?

> RAM (yes, that is bytes, not Kbytes.), Yet plug in cartridges enhanced its
> capabilities. A version of chess was even shipped for it.
>
> God bless America, we have the smartest closets in the world.
> --
> -- David Phillip Oster - Note new address. Old one has gone Bye Bye.
> -- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster

Strange as it may seem, the old war horse C64 is still in production having gone
through a couple facelifts over the last 8 years.  As far as total number sold
I have no idea what the numbers are now... The 9 million units mentioned above
probably refers to just US Sales.
 __      __
|__)    (__`
|  \ick ,__)terling
Test Engineering
Commodore Technology Group
UUCP ...{uunet,allegra,rutgers}!cbmvax!sterling

BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (05/04/90)

<writes:
<<The Commodore 64 is the correct answer by far! Hard to believe, huh?

<Not only is this hard to believe, it is also wrong.  The C64 has only sold
<about 9 million units.  The Atari VCS has sold over 17 million units.

   If you are going to bring in game machine, the Nintendo beats
everything else out by far.  The last I heard, over 80 Million
Nintendos had been sold world-wide.  This is surely conservative by
now, as I heard this figure quoted a year ago.

                                 -MB-

phaedrus@milton.acs.washington.edu (The Wanderer) (05/04/90)

In article <11307@cbmvax.commodore.com> sterling@cbmvax (Rick Sterling) writes:
>In article <17782@well.sf.ca.us> oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>> In article <29462@cup.portal.com> Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com writes:
>> >The Commodore 64 is the correct answer by far!  Hard to believe, huh?

>> Not only is this hard to believe, it is also wrong. The C64 has only sold
>> about 9 million units. The Atari VCS has sold over 17 million units.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  pretty old datum here.

>> The VCS was intended for video games, and had only 128 bytes of on-board
           ^^^                               ^^^
>  past tense right?

>> RAM (yes, that is bytes, not Kbytes.), Yet plug in cartridges enhanced its
>> capabilities. A version of chess was even shipped for it.

>> God bless America, we have the smartest closets in the world.

>Strange as it may seem, the old war horse C64 is still in production having gone
>through a couple facelifts over the last 8 years.  As far as total number sold
>I have no idea what the numbers are now... The 9 million units mentioned above
>probably refers to just US Sales.

     Why does it matter whether or not the VCS is out of production?  I
thought the question asked about "the best-selling computer of all time," not
"the best-selling computer of all time that's still being produces right
now..."
     And in any event, to the best of my knowledge, the VCS/2600 is still in
production; at least, all the Kay-Bees around here seem to have no problem
obtaining them.  The base unit these days is much smaller than it used to be
(doesn't take many chips to do a VCS these days :) ), and I've seen it for as
low as $29... sure, the gameplay isn't as good as a S*ga or N*ntendo, but
then again, you can buy the whole VCS for less than the price of a decent
cartridge for the others...
     Let me check my closet... a 2600, a 7800, some old TI-99/4A stuff,
a bunch of Apple IIe disks... pretty smart closet, all right. :)

r--
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.
   "If you can keep your head while those about you are losing theirs,
      consider an exciting career as a guillotine operator!"

rdgrass@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert Dale Grass) (05/04/90)

I don't know about the ALL-TIME best selling computer, but the October 1989
issue of Personal Computing lists the Commodore 64 as the number one best
selling computer worldwide.  The second runner up was IBM XT which sold about
half the units than the C64.

As far as computers in the U.S. in the last decade, there were more IBM PC XT's
sold than C-64's but not by much.

Apple II, IIC, IIE, and IIGS come in third in of the above catagories.

jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) (05/04/90)

In comp.sys.cbm article <3283@milton.acs.washington.edu>, phaedrus@milton.acs.washington.edu (The Wanderer) wrote:
:     Why does it matter whether or not the VCS is out of production?  I
:thought the question asked about "the best-selling computer of all time," not
:"the best-selling computer of all time that's still being produces right
:now..."

It doesn't matter; on the other hand a 2600 doesn't exactly meet my
definition of  "computer."  It contains the basic components of a
microcomputer system (RAM/ROM/processor/video/sound/I/O) but isn't generally
user programmable, and I don't think I've seen one do anything besides play
games, which lands it in my "dedicated microcontroller/microcomputer"
category right next to VCR's, microwaves, and digital watches, not to
mention my line printer (which has more RAM/ROM and processing power than a
2600  :-) ....  I have a difficult time accepting a 2600 as a Real Computer.

Anyways, my uninformed guess would be that PC-compatible machines are the
dominant machine, although I doubt any single manufacturer has manufactured
even half as many of a single model as Commodore has of the 64.  It's got
too much going for it that people just take for granted....  :-)

... Joe

gehlhaar@uniol.UUCP (Arne Gehlhaar) (05/04/90)

oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) writes:

>In article <29462@cup.portal.com> Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com writes:
>>The Commodore 64 is the correct answer by far!  Hard to believe, huh?

>Not only is this hard to believe, it is also wrong. The C64 has only sold
>about 9 million units. The Atari VCS has sold over 17 million units.
>The VCS was intended for video games, and had only 128 bytes of on-board
>RAM (yes, that is bytes, not Kbytes.), Yet plug in cartridges enhanced its
>capabilities. A version of chess was even shipped for it.

I doubt though, that the VCS can be counted as a "real" computer, its only
device of input being a joystick !  :)   I think a computer should at least
have a keyboard, but then again, that's a problem of how you define the
term computer.

Greetings, Arne

neumann@uniol.UUCP (Frank Neumann) (05/04/90)

gehlhaar@uniol.UUCP (Arne Gehlhaar) writes:

>oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) writes:

>>In article <29462@cup.portal.com> Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com writes:
>>>The Commodore 64 is the correct answer by far!  Hard to believe, huh?

[... about Atari VCS being best selling computer ever...]
>I doubt though, that the VCS can be counted as a "real" computer, its only
>device of input being a joystick !  :)   I think a computer should at least
>have a keyboard, but then again, that's a problem of how you define the
>term computer.

HOWEVER -
there was a kind of keypad available for the VCS (I think, the number keys
plus "#", "." and one or two more... even better, the old Atari brochures
showed a "Basic Programming language Module"...never seen it myself, but
I must have existed somewhere... so, the VCS _IS_ the best selling
computer ever, no !?! :-) :-) :-)

-Frank
--
#-#-#-#- This .sig is not for release (pre-version 0.98) #-#-#-#-
- Frank Neumann, Hauptstr. 107, 2900 Oldenburg   West-Germany   #

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (05/05/90)

...9Mil...where the hell'd you get your figures.  If I remember right, about
TWO YEARS ago, there was an OFFICIAL release that the C=64 had sold over
14,000,000 units...count the zeros.  And at that time, C= was still selling
more than a million units worldwide.  I think everyone quit counting once they
passed the 18,000,000 unit mark.

C=64, the official aerospace network computer for the Polish Strategic Missle
Attack System...hehe

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

warren@hpindda.HP.COM (Warren Burnett) (05/05/90)

/ hpindda:comp.sys.amiga / jgreco@archimedes.math.uwm.edu (Joe Greco) /  8:15 pm  May  3, 1990 /
In comp.sys.cbm article <3283@milton.acs.washington.edu>, phaedrus@milton.acs.washington.edu (The Wanderer) wrote:
>>:     Why does it matter whether or not the VCS is out of production?  I
>>:thought the question asked about "the best-selling computer of all time," not
>>:"the best-selling computer of all time that's still being produces right
>>:now..."

>It doesn't matter; on the other hand a 2600 doesn't exactly meet my
>definition of  "computer."  It contains the basic components of a
>microcomputer system (RAM/ROM/processor/video/sound/I/O) but isn't generally
>user programmable, and ...
>... Joe

Actually, the 2600 did have a BASIC cartridge and keyboard available for it.
I remember seeing ads for it long, long ago.  If I remember right, the 2600
was basically a stripped down Atari 400 computer.  They did some amazing
stuff with that machine.  Mine is now in my closet next to my Commodore 1541
disc drive (once described as "the best computer Commodore ever made").

		Warren Burnett
		warren%hpindip@hp-sde.sde.hp.com

6600raft@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Michael Wise) (05/05/90)

In article <2426@uniol.UUCP> gehlhaar@uniol.UUCP (Arne Gehlhaar) writes:

>>Not only is this hard to believe, it is also wrong. The C64 has only sold
>>about 9 million units. The Atari VCS has sold over 17 million units.

>I doubt though, that the VCS can be counted as a "real" computer, its only
>device of input being a joystick !  :)   I think a computer should at least
>have a keyboard, but then again, that's a problem of how you define the
>term computer.

I remember an add-on cartridge for BASIC programming with a corresponding
keypad, but I would imagine that not many of these were sold.  I also
remember too that it even played a chess game, but that it would cheat
by making illegal moves while the board was "hidden."

| Internet: 6600raft@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu    | All opinions stated are mine.|
| BITNET:   6600raft@UCSBUXA.BITNET      |      **Save The Earth**      |

bgribble@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Bill Gribble) (05/05/90)

  I hate to add to the volume of this (already obese) group, but could we move
    this c64/VCS discussion elsewhere - like /dev/null?

=====   Bill Gribble           Internet: bgribble@jarthur.claremont.edu =====
=====   Harvey Mudd College              wgribble@hmcvax.claremont.edu  =====
=====   Claremont, CA 91711    Bitnet:   wgribble@hmcvax.bitnet         =====
=====   (714) 621-8000 x2045                                            =====

cg108fep@icogsci1.ucsd.edu (Dennis Lou) (05/05/90)

In article <2426@uniol.UUCP> gehlhaar@uniol.UUCP (Arne Gehlhaar) writes:
)oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) writes:
)>In article <29462@cup.portal.com> Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com writes:
)>>The Commodore 64 is the correct answer by far!  Hard to believe, huh?
)>
)
)I doubt though, that the VCS can be counted as a "real" computer, its only
)device of input being a joystick !  :)   I think a computer should at least
)have a keyboard, but then again, that's a problem of how you define the
)term computer.

Yes, I suppose Eniac and Univac weren't computers, as well as the
FORTRAN engines using punch cards.

Shall we talk about Babbage's machine and whether or not it was a
copmuter?

Let's not.

--
Dennis Lou                     DISCLAIMER: Disclaimers don't work!
   pa1568@sdcc13.ucsd.edu

cs223101@umbc5.umbc.edu (CMSC 223/01011) (05/05/90)

Not quibbling with you or anything, bit I've played (yes, that's the word)
with the Basic for the Atari 2600 VCS (VGS?).  It allowed a whole 1 k of
program to be stored, and hadno
graphics capabilities at all.  Not my idea of a computer... more like a diversified pocket calculator.

<pardon any line noise hits... bad lines around here.>
[RICH]

mrose@ic.sunysb.edu (Michael Rose) (05/05/90)

In article <2426@uniol.UUCP> gehlhaar@uniol.UUCP (Arne Gehlhaar) writes:
>oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>
>>In article <29462@cup.portal.com> Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com writes:
>>>The Commodore 64 is the correct answer by far!  Hard to believe, huh?
>
>>Not only is this hard to believe, it is also wrong. The C64 has only sold
>>about 9 million units. The Atari VCS has sold over 17 million units.
>>The VCS was intended for video games, and had only 128 bytes of on-board
                                            ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^
>>RAM (yes, that is bytes, not Kbytes.), Yet plug in cartridges enhanced its
  ^^^
  I thought the 2600 had 4k of RAM?

>>capabilities. A version of chess was even shipped for it.
>
>I doubt though, that the VCS can be counted as a "real" computer, its only
>device of input being a joystick !  :)   I think a computer should at least
 ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^ ^^^^^^^^
>have a keyboard, but then again, that's a problem of how you define the
        ^^^^^^^^
>term computer.
>
>Greetings, Arne

But what about those Keypad controllers?  They were a type of keyboard.
You could even write BASIC programs on the 2600 with Atari's BASIC
Programming Cartridge.  As I recall, weren't there Keyboards and
EPROM Burners available, or at least hacks, for the 2600 to program
games in assembly?

Take care!

Michael R. Rose

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (05/05/90)

Frank Neumann (neumann@uniol.uucp) said...

I must have existed somewhere...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How do you know?  <grin> couldn't resist:)

Patrick Horgan                             phorgan@cup.portal.com

umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) (05/06/90)

In article <3283@milton.acs.washington.edu> phaedrus@milton.acs.washington.edu (The Wanderer) writes:
>     Why does it matter whether or not the VCS is out of production?  I
>thought the question asked about "the best-selling computer of all time," not
>"the best-selling computer of all time that's still being produces right
>now..."
>     And in any event, to the best of my knowledge, the VCS/2600 is still in
>production; at least, all the Kay-Bees around here seem to have no problem
>obtaining them.  The base unit these days is much smaller than it used to be
>(doesn't take many chips to do a VCS these days :) ), and I've seen it for as
>low as $29... sure, the gameplay isn't as good as a S*ga or N*ntendo, but
>then again, you can buy the whole VCS for less than the price of a decent
>cartridge for the others...
>     Let me check my closet... a 2600, a 7800, some old TI-99/4A stuff,
>a bunch of Apple IIe disks... pretty smart closet, all right. :)

But does the Atari VCS qualify as a computer?  I don't want to start a
flame war, but I don't see a "game machine" qualifying as a full-
fledged computer.  After all, a computer should be good for more than
just games, right?

       Daryl Turner
         <umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

unhd (Jason W Nyberg) (05/06/90)

In article <17782@well.sf.ca.us> oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>In article <29462@cup.portal.com> Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com writes:
>>The Commodore 64 is the correct answer by far!  Hard to believe, huh?
>
>Not only is this hard to believe, it is also wrong. The C64 has only sold
>about 9 million units. The Atari VCS has sold over 17 million units.
>The VCS was intended for video games, and had only 128 bytes of on-board
>RAM (yes, that is bytes, not Kbytes.), Yet plug in cartridges enhanced its
>capabilities. A version of chess was even shipped for it.

What the fuck?  why don't we just include calculators in the deal?  Im sure
that some TI calculator has sold more units than an atari f**kin 2600
(I had an atari 2600 GAME MACHINE and a TI calculator but I like my amy
SLIGHTLY more)  Shit, why not include individual chips, for god's sake. How
about the best selling transistor?  Best selling battery?  (My Heavy Duty
Ever-ready is better than your Energizer!)  Sorry, just trying to sober up!
(just kidding mom?!)

>God bless America, we have the smartest closets in the world.

Bless this, pal

	-Jason Nyberg

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (05/06/90)

In article <2428@uniol.UUCP> neumann@uniol.UUCP (Frank Neumann) writes:
>HOWEVER -
>there was a kind of keypad available for the VCS (I think, the number keys
>plus "#", "." and one or two more... even better, the old Atari brochures
>showed a "Basic Programming language Module"...never seen it myself, but
>I must have existed somewhere... so, the VCS _IS_ the best selling
>computer ever, no !?! :-) :-) :-)

Yes, there was a BASIC cartridge which came with a keypad.  I've used
it before.  Was actually easier to use than the Sinclair/Timex 1000.
--
John  M.  Adams    --*--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!      ///
Internet:  jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu     ///

tcrevier@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tom Crevier) (05/06/90)

In article <1990May6.064033.16586@uunet!unhd> jwn712@unhd.unh.edu.UUCP (Jason W Nyberg) writes:
>In article <17782@well.sf.ca.us> oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>>In article <29462@cup.portal.com> Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com writes:
    [bunch of crap deleted]

>What the fuck?  why don't we just include calculators in the deal?  Im sure
>that some TI calculator has sold more units than an atari f**kin 2600
>(I had an atari 2600 GAME MACHINE and a TI calculator but I like my amy
>SLIGHTLY more)  Shit, why not include individual chips, for god's sake. How
>about the best selling transistor?  Best selling battery?  (My Heavy Duty
>Ever-ready is better than your Energizer!)  Sorry, just trying to sober up!
>(just kidding mom?!)
>
>>God bless America, we have the smartest closets in the world.
whatever dude.

>Bless this, pal
>
>	-Jason Nyberg
>
>>-- David Phillip Oster - Note new address. Old one has gone Bye Bye.
>>-- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster

Good job.  I agree.  Why don't you guys take this idiotic conversation
somewhere else and stop wasting bandwidth, which I realize that this
very message is doing.  Oh well.

C ya.
 "If you think you got it made, just revel in your selfish praise,
  'cause when the world stops turning, so will you!"

    Bad           ----->    Tom Crevier   <-----
   _____
  /  | /\        Internet : tcrevier@hmcvax.claremont.edu       / /
 /___|/__\                  tcrevier@jarthur.claremont.edu     / /
|    /    |      Bitnet :   tcrevier@hmcvax.bitnet            / /
|   /|    |                                             \ \  / /  Amiga
 \ / |   /       U.S. Mail:   Tom Crevier                \ \/ /
  \__|__/                     Harvey Mudd College         \/\/
                              Clareomnt, Ca, 91711
  Religion

bskendig@edsger.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/07/90)

In article <23118@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>In article <2428@uniol.UUCP> neumann@uniol.UUCP (Frank Neumann) writes:
>>HOWEVER -
>>there was a kind of keypad available for the VCS (I think, the number keys
>>plus "#", "." and one or two more... even better, the old Atari brochures
>>showed a "Basic Programming language Module"...never seen it myself, but
>>I must have existed somewhere... so, the VCS _IS_ the best selling
>>computer ever, no !?! :-) :-) :-)
>
>Yes, there was a BASIC cartridge which came with a keypad.  I've used
>it before.  Was actually easier to use than the Sinclair/Timex 1000.

There were actually two sets of keypads made for the Atari VCS.  The
first was a pair of telephone-like keypads onto which you could fit
overlays.  It came with the BASIC Programming cartridge, which let you
program in a weird dialect of that language (it even let you view the
stack and the values of variables as you ran programs, something I've
not seen on *any* computer since.  It even had windows!  (Well,
distinct horizontal bands on the screen, each of which was used for
different output, but still that's the first time I had ever seen
anything like that.)  The keypads could be hooked together to make it
easier to use them to program with.  (I seem to remember two other
cartridges coming with the BASIC cart and the keypads -- anyone
remember what they were?)

The second kind of keypad was shipped with Star Raiders (a game which,
IMHO, should not have been ported to the VCS.  It was *baad*...).  It
was incompatible with the earlier keypads, having different wiring.
Apparently it was intended to be used with several new games which
were never released (among them Combat II, which I read about in an
Atari catalog I got with a cart).

A third-party company (!) made a machine-language monitor for the VCS.
It snapped into the cartridge port and rested on the top of the
console; you plugged a cartridge into it and, by flipping switches and
pressing buttons on the unit, could (temporarily) modify the program
stored in the cartridge.  The magazine "Electronic Fun with Computers
and Games" once did a review of it where they modified all the sprites
in River Raid.

Also, getting even more off the subject, another accessory was made to
copy cartridges -- you plugged a game into the handheld unit, pressed
a button, then removed the game and plugged the unit into your Atari.
Voila -- you had a copy of the game until you either erased or
overwrote it.

And how about the tape-recorder attachment for the Atari?  Another
company (who was it?  Anyone?) made a box which plugged into the Atari
and a cassette recorder; you would then load a game off tape.  *Much*
higher quality than the normal hardware cartridges, if you didn't mind
waiting eight minutes for your game to load.  The first
publically-available software media!

Ah, those were the days.  The Intellivision II and Coleco both had
Atari expansion units available, allowing you to use VCS carts on
those systems.  Now, why can't someone make one for the Mac?

     << Brian >>
| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
.. s l o w l y,  s l o w l y,  w i t h  t h e  v e l o c i t y  o f  l o v e.

GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (05/07/90)

     Definition of a micro-computer:  A microprossor based, all purpose
 computing tool.

     Atari 2600 does not fit this discription.  Now what exactly defines
 a different machine?  Could we count all of IBMs machines as one, or
 divide them by the models.  If we divide, then we would also have to
 divide the C64 from the sporty model Commodore came out with.  That
 would also mean we would have to divide the Amiga up a lot.  And the
 Mac.

     If we don't divide, could we call the C128 a "C64 compatible machine"?
 I assume we would seperate the Messy-DOS machines made by IBM from the
 clones.  If we count up all the IBM/XT/AT/PS2 machines that IBM made,
 it's quite possible they out number a C64s.

     Does anyone have any recent and reliable numbers?

 ----
      F. Michael Theilig  -  The University of Rhode Island at Little Rest
                            GWO110 at URIACC.Bitnet

"If there is a part of a chicken's anatomy that can be acurately
 described as McNuggets, do you want to eat them?"

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (05/07/90)

In article <2428@uniol.UUCP> neumann@uniol.UUCP (Frank Neumann) writes:
>gehlhaar@uniol.UUCP (Arne Gehlhaar) writes:
>
>>oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) writes:

>[... about Atari VCS being best selling computer ever...]
>>I doubt though, that the VCS can be counted as a "real" computer, its only
>>device of input being a joystick !  :)   I think a computer should at least
>>have a keyboard, but then again, that's a problem of how you define the
>>term computer.
>
>HOWEVER -
>there was a kind of keypad available for the VCS (I think, the number keys
>plus "#", "." and one or two more... even better, the old Atari brochures
>showed a "Basic Programming language Module"...never seen it myself, but
>I must have existed somewhere... so, the VCS _IS_ the best selling
>computer ever, no !?! :-) :-) :-)

Come on, we've got to draw a line *somewhere*.  By this criteria I would
hazard a guess that Nintendo is the world's best-selling personal computer.

Here are the eligability rules:  ;^)

o  If it never had a keyboard then it wasn't a Real Personal Computer (TM).  Any
   individual unit that was outfitted with a keyboard may be counted, however.

o  If it never had a Real Storage Device (paper/cassette tape, floppy, etc.,
   "not=cartridge") then it wasn't a Real Personal Computer.  Any individual
   unit that was outfitted with a Real Storage Device may be counted, however.

So all those Cromemcos with the keyboard and tape units were RPCs, but the
units that were never expanded beyond the video game stage don't count.
Neither do Altairs with only switches for inputs and LEDs for outputs.
Those are Real Hobbyist Computers (TM) ;^).

Make sense?

--
--Steve      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own (I don't speak for Convex)
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (05/09/90)

I propose that the term "personal computer" be defined before any
more opinions are placed in this thread.  Until an agreed upon definition
exists this subject is going to be one of the all-time net-bandwidth-
wasters.

Who's first?

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (05/09/90)

In article <29747@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>I propose that the term "personal computer" be defined before any
>more opinions are placed in this thread.

I recall some advertising by IBM several years ago, claming some large
proportion of the "personal computer" sales.  When challenged on it,
since the Commodore-64 clearly beat them at that time, they said that
they were talking about "personal computers" (like the IBM PC), not
"home computers" (like the Commodore-64).

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (05/09/90)

In article <29747@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>I propose that the term "personal computer" be defined before any
>more opinions are placed in this thread.  Until an agreed upon definition
>exists this subject is going to be one of the all-time net-bandwidth-
>wasters.

>Who's first?

OK, it has to have a typewriter-style keyboard, a CRT display capability and a
mass storage device.  (Hmm, that would include the Sinclair ZX-81, which is
pretty marginal.)

Really I think a floppy drive is also required.  I think random access mass
storage, even of only a hundred kilobytes, really made the difference in
whether PC's were usable or not for anything other than games, and almost
certainly for development.  My first PC was a 48K Apple ][ with a floppy,
for this reason.  I decided this was a requirement while panting over the
PC's of the time (IMSAI 8800, Heath H8, etc), and I actually had the maturity
to wait -- after using a mini in high school and minis and mainframes in
college, audiocassettes were just too gross.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (05/10/90)

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
> it has to have a typewriter-style keyboard, a CRT display capability and a
> mass storage device.

	Just to be picky, I think you probably mean "electronic bitmap
display" or something like that instead of CRT.  Mac Portables don't have
CRTs, neither do most portables/laptops; they all have some sort of LCD,
electroluminescent, etc, display.

	Do you consider something like a HP-48sx to be a personal computer?
Depending on how far you want to stretch "typewriter-like keyboard", it
might just qualify; it's not terribly convenient, but you can generate the
whole ASCII alphabet, plus greek and math symbols.  It has a bitmap LCD
display, albeit a small one, and the self-powered ram cards could arguably
be called floppy disks since they can be used as removable mass storage.
The programming power is certainly greater than many conventional personal
computers (VIC-20, PET, etc).
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

perley@hobbes (Donald P Perley) (05/10/90)

In article <1990May9.182201.13624@phri.nyu.edu>, roy@phri (Roy Smith) writes:
>karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
 (regarding the definition of a "computer" )
>> it has to have a typewriter-style keyboard, a CRT display capability and a
>> mass storage device.
>
>	Just to be picky, I think you probably mean "electronic bitmap
>display" or something like that instead of CRT.

Bitmap?  I think alphanumeric should be sufficient.  Not necessarily
built in.  The ability to drive a TTY or other terminal counts for me.
Most CPM computers I have used required the user to supply his own terminal.

Don't forget all those old IBM's where the user interface was cards
and printout.  Not exactly personal, they should still qualify to at
least *enter* the best seller contest.

And hey!... how about those Turing machines?  Always popular, not many sold.

-don perley
perley@trub.crd.ge.com

kassover@jupiter.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) (05/10/90)

In article <1990May9.182201.13624@phri.nyu.edu> roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
|	Do you consider something like a HP-48sx to be a personal computer?
|Depending on how far you want to stretch "typewriter-like keyboard", it
|might just qualify; it's not terribly convenient, but you can generate the
|whole ASCII alphabet, plus greek and math symbols.

A friend of mine wrote a sophisticated image processing program
for his HP41.  Used the magcard reader as a paging device.  Also
needed a 6V lantern battery as power supply, or paging ran the
normal N cells down before program completed.  Personal?
Certainly, it would fit in one's pocket.  Don't sit down too hard 8-)

--
David Kassover             "Proper technique helps protect you against
kassover@ra.crd.ge.com	    sharp weapons and dull judges."