[comp.sys.amiga] Why not SIMMs?

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (05/03/90)

In article <2252@awdprime.UUCP> robin@sabre.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) writes:
> The specs I have say 4Meg in 1Meg ZIPS and 16Meg in 4Meg ZIPS.

Ok, I'll ask the stupid question I haven't seen yet:

	Why doesn't the A3000 use SIMMs?

It would seem foolish for any new personal workstation to not use
something as common (and cheap) as SIMMs...  What am I missing?

	...tad

In article <TADGUY.90May2175932@abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov> tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) writes:
>In article <2252@awdprime.UUCP> robin@sabre.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) writes:
>> The specs I have say 4Meg in 1Meg ZIPS and 16Meg in 4Meg ZIPS.

>It would seem foolish for any new personal workstation to not use
>something as common (and cheap) as SIMMs...  What am I missing?

SIMMs cost more than ZIPs.  Also, they weren't available in a low
enough profile for our needs; the memory in the 3000 sits underneath
where a Coprocessor slot card goes.  The 4 Meg ZIPs clear such a
card by about 0.1".

>	...tad

	"I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit" -REM

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (05/04/90)

In article <TADGUY.90May2175932@abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov> tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) writes:
>In article <2252@awdprime.UUCP> robin@sabre.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) writes:
>> The specs I have say 4Meg in 1Meg ZIPS and 16Meg in 4Meg ZIPS.
>
>Ok, I'll ask the stupid question I haven't seen yet:
>
>	Why doesn't the A3000 use SIMMs?
>
>It would seem foolish for any new personal workstation to not use
>something as common (and cheap) as SIMMs...  What am I missing?
>
>	...tad

ZIPPs are just about as space-saving as SIMMs are.  SIMMs are more
expensive/Mbyte than individual chips.  SIMMs for 4 Mbit chips are
still very expensive.  You can populate your memory system cheaper
and in roughly the same space using ZIPPs.

Since a SIMM is nothing more than the discrete chips soldered onto
a PC board, you should always be able to get the discrete chips (same
# of chips) cheaper than the SIMMs.

Any questions?

--
--Steve      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own (I don't speak for Convex)
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:

>ZIPPs are just about as space-saving as SIMMs are.  SIMMs are more
>expensive/Mbyte than individual chips.  SIMMs for 4 Mbit chips are
>still very expensive.  You can populate your memory system cheaper
>and in roughly the same space using ZIPPs.

>Any questions?

Well sort of. and some comments.

First SIMMs aren't as expensive as ZIPs. and they are easier to find.
I think it has something to do with the fact that SIMMs are more popular
in the IBM-PC clone world, and mass production tends to lower the prices,
as does competition. I have seen SIMMs for as low as $75/megabyte. How
much would that cost in ZIPs? If you can find them. I think the price I
heard last (from a friend who was pricing memory a while back) they were
about $90-$100/megabyte. These were the 1mbit chips.

I don't have the prices available for the 4mbit chips. Since they are new
the prices are closer to each other (SIMM vs. ZIP). But I bet ya
that the 4meg SIMMs will be easier to find and cheaper on a per Megabyte basis
in a short time.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                     | PH: (502) 968-DISK

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>>It would seem foolish for any new personal workstation to not use
>>something as common (and cheap) as SIMMs...  What am I missing?

>SIMMs cost more than ZIPs.

I just called around. 256K x 4 100ns ZIPs are $12/ea and
1 meg SIMMs @ 80 ns are $75

so for 1 meg of mem:

ZIPs = $96
SIMM = $75

ZIP prices were gotten from Semitech 1-800-356-3759
SIMM prices from IC Express 1-800-892-8889

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                     | PH: (502) 968-DISK
If you've seen one nuclear war, you've seen them all.

tj@peirce.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (05/10/90)

In article <1780@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
< I have seen SIMMs for as low as $75/megabyte. How
< much would that cost in ZIPs? If you can find them. I think the price I
< heard last (from a friend who was pricing memory a while back) they were
< about $90-$100/megabyte. These were the 1mbit chips.
<
	I just bought 4 1 meg 80ns SIMMs for $62.50 each from The Chip
Merchant.

< I don't have the prices available for the 4mbit chips. Since they are new
< the prices are closer to each other (SIMM vs. ZIP). But I bet ya
< that the 4meg SIMMs will be easier to find and cheaper on a per Megabyte basis
< in a short time.

	The cheapest I've seen 4meg SIMMs is $500, but these should be
coming down.

	---Todd

-=-
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu
Laboratory for AI Research
The Ohio State University

panon@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Paul-Andre Panon) (05/10/90)

In article <80283@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Todd R Johnson <tj@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>In article <1780@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>[Both talk about how SIMMs are cheaper than ZIPs]
>
>	The cheapest I've seen 4meg SIMMs is $500, but these should be
>coming down.
>
>	---Todd
Sure, but do SIMMs use page mode DRAMs and support cache BURST fills?
I think the ZIP configuration Commodore uses does. As someone mentioned on
comp.arch, if you're going to use an '040, it begs for BURST fills. This
machine is obviously meant to be upgradeable with an '040. Looks like
Commodore took a different approach for the 3000 memory design than they did
for the 2500/30.  Considering they seem to take about 2-3 years to put out a
new machine, it seems like a good idea to provide a solid quick upgrade path
to an '040 to me.

Or did I put my foot in it again? Can you do cache burst fills with SIMMs?

--
    Paul-Andre_Panon@staff.ucs.ubc.ca        or    USERPAP1@UBCMTSG
or  Paul-Andre_Panon@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca     or    USERPAP1@mtsg.ubc.ca