[comp.sys.amiga] Atari ST Emulator, bad news

v128ll9e@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Richard B Wicks) (05/10/90)

About the ST Emulator.  It turns out that it is PD, but Illegal PD.  It works
like the pirated version of AMAX, Roms read into memory by disk.  I have this
version BUT the ROMS are missing, and it would be illegal for me to distribute
it.  The version I have doesn't work anyhow (according to those I have been
able to send to).

Apparently (and I'm not sure about this) the roms are cut off when you try to
warp the disk.  As some of you may know, Warp is able to cut out some viruses,
apparently, it reconizes the ROMS as a virus or something.  In any case I'm
sorry I ever opened my mouth.

Don't worry though, there is (supposedly) a commercial ST Emulator that is to
come out this summer, this is just rumor- let me stress that last point!

If anyone wants to abuse me for jumping the gun, Flame me at my addressm, NOT
here!

-Rich

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (05/10/90)

In article <25124@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v128ll9e@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>[about the ST emulator]
>Apparently (and I'm not sure about this) the roms are cut off when you try to
>warp the disk.  As some of you may know, Warp is able to cut out some viruses,
>apparently, it reconizes the ROMS as a virus or something.  In any case I'm
>sorry I ever opened my mouth.

Here it comes again :-(

I am amazed at the number of people who seriously believe that this PD thing
ever came close to emulating an ST.  It may have been a joke, a hack,
an honest beginning to a never-completed design, or just a pile of BS.
Nobody ever got this thing to work, it's been known for about two years,
and there is a widely held myth that Warp stripped off the alleged ROM
image that was part of the emulator.  Funny that the whole universe has
access to copies that were made downstream of this stripping, but nobody
has ever seen or heard the original work.

Time for comp.sys.amiga.myth, I guess.

Frankly, I don't quite see what all the excitement is about, since the
most interesting things about the ST are that it has inexpensive 400-line
monochrome non-interlaced display, and some fairly impressive MIDI software.
No emulator can give you the first, and it would probably be tough to
give the second.  Besides, at least one prominent piece of Atart MIDI
software has a dongle-cartridge, so forget using that.

>-Rich

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com