[comp.sys.amiga] Summary of Amiga display modes?

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (05/10/90)

In article <131@tots.UUCP> tep@tots.UUCP (Tom Perrine) writes:
> What is the MAXIMUM resolution of a 3000, price no object?

Hardware consultants in the Santa Clara area rent themselves for
about $100 - $150 an hour. The technology to generate video is
well known so given a 320 hour contract (6 to 8 weeks) say about
$24,000 to $48,000 you could have either a 2K by 2K monochrome or
a 1K by 1K  X 24 bit framebuffer designed that would run in the
Amiga 3000. Parts are extra so kick in another $4000 - $6000 for
PC layout and fabrication and enough parts to build up a prototype.
Depending on the consultant you may or may not be able to get some
driver routines thrown in for "free", or you could always spend
another 20 - 30 thousand for a software wiz to make it
"intuition/graphics" compatible. (Heck you could probably hire
I and I Computing (aka Jim Mackraz) if price really isn't an object).

>Also, I have a 500 Classic (4-digit serial number). What would I have
>to do to upgrade to the new ECS? I would really like to upgrade to 1M
>chip. I haven't opened the case to check the board rev., but what
>should I look for?

If you bought a 500 I would guess that price was an object :-)

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM