[comp.sys.amiga] workstations...

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (05/10/90)

I just Wayne Knapp's posting about workstation classification.  It is pure
nonsense.  Just because newer and faster machines are coming out does not
mean that the older slower workstations are no longer workstations.  We
have a large number of them here and we think of them as workstations still.
Fact is, the Amiga would make a great low end system.  A 3000 would be
perfect since it could also be upgraded to a higher performance level (ala 040).
Hook that up with the A2024, and you have a great workstation.  We have a ton
of machines with black and white monitors at 1280x800, a 4 gray scale at 1024x800
would certainly be good enough to qualify.  I've heard great things about the
Lowell board, and I'm certain that Commodore has some other great things in
store for us.
	"Sun releases the SPARCstation 3, and all of a sudden, all software and
hardware for other machines becomes obsolete.  'You must upgrade!' was the quote
from a Sun spokesperson."  I can see it now.

				See ya, Ralph

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@goliath.eecs.umich.edu   Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
11010 Lighthouse Dr. #234  | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Belleville, MI 48111       | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 697-1048

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne C Knapp) (05/10/90)

In article <2243@zipeecs.umich.edu>, gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
> I just Wayne Knapp's posting about workstation classification.  It is pure
> nonsense.  Just because newer and faster machines are coming out ...
> ...  I've heard great things about the
> Lowell board, and I'm certain that Commodore has some other great things in
> store for us.

Two things:

   1. Not coming out, are out.  The SPARCstation 1 clearly blows the doors
      off of any 68030 machine when it come to speed, price/performance, or
      ability to run UNIX.

   2. Hyping the Lowell board which can't be purchased is nonsense.

The point is simple, while the A3000 is a very hot Amiga, it just doesn't
hold a candle upto today's workstations.  I don't think Commodore is pushing
the A3000 as a workstation anyway.  Just because teh A3000 may be a slug as
far as workstations go, doesn't mean that it isn't a fine computer.  I like
the multi-station name, it fits much better.

Also, Sun has sold a huge number of SPARCstations, at least as workstations
go.  There have been at least 50,000 SPARCs sold so far.  While being great
for the workstation market I don't think that is the market Commodore is
after.

I think the A3000 is a good machine.  I just don't see how anyone could
compare to SPARC and still call it a workstation, esp. a high-end work-
station.

                                          Wayne Knapp