[comp.sys.amiga] Cross-Dos and Messy-Dos

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (05/25/90)

In article <20196@snow-white.udel.EDU> GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:

>     I got CrossDOS to install properly the first try.  I tried to
> use MSH because it will write and I heard was much faster, but I
> couldn't get it to work.  It would mount, but wouldn't work if I
> tried to CD to it.  Says insufficient free store or some such
> crap.  I have 1 meg.

	I hope you are not trying to imply that CrossDos will not write
to a dos disk, becasue if you are you are way off. Not only can you read
and write tranparently you can also format dos disks. One funny thing is
I have a 3 1/2 drive in my XT and I can not format a 720k disk on it. I
can read and write to them, but It will only format a 360k 3 1/2!! I format
all of my disks om AMI that I use in my XT :) (Something about my xt's
controller doesn't know how to format 720K).
	CrossDos is great. It is real neat to access a dos disk by simply
calling it "A:". I read and write to dos disks all of the time. I also haven't
found an application yet that is unhappy with it either. There is one quirk
though that you have to explicitly access the DOS drive before most applications
know it's there i.e. cd to A: etc. After that there is no problem.

Monty Saine

davidb@hplsla.HP.COM (David Bakeman) (05/27/90)

>/ hplsla:comp.sys.amiga / monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) /  9:20 am  May 25, 1990 /
>In article <20196@snow-white.udel.EDU> GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:
>>
>>     I got CrossDOS to install properly the first try.  I tried to
>> use MSH because it will write and I heard was much faster, but I
>> couldn't get it to work.  It would mount, but wouldn't work if I
>> tried to CD to it.  Says insufficient free store or some such
>> crap.  I have 1 meg.
>>
>	I hope you are not trying to imply that CrossDos will not write
>to a dos disk, becasue if you are you are way off. Not only can you read
>and write tranparently you can also format dos disks. One funny thing is
>I have a 3 1/2 drive in my XT and I can not format a 720k disk on it. I
>can read and write to them, but It will only format a 360k 3 1/2!! I format
>all of my disks om AMI that I use in my XT :) (Something about my xt's
>controller doesn't know how to format 720K).
>	CrossDos is great. It is real neat to access a dos disk by simply
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree completely!  I'm sure messy dos works too but I like support and have
had none of the problems anyone has mentioned.

>calling it "A:". I read and write to dos disks all of the time. I also haven't
>found an application yet that is unhappy with it either. There is one quirk
>though that you have to explicitly access the DOS drive before most applications
>know it's there i.e. cd to A: etc. After that there is no problem.
As regards to this problem.  Check your mount file description.  There is
a way to specify that the driver be loaded automatically instead of at the
first access.  I'm at work now so I can't check what the correct value is
exactly, but I could check if you can't find it.  After you set that mount
the device and you're in business!

>Monty Saine
>----------
--------
David Bakeman

trebbien@cbmger.UUCP (Uwe Trebbien GERMANY) (05/28/90)

In article <5160099@hplsla.HP.COM> davidb@hplsla.HP.COM (David Bakeman) writes:
>As regards to this problem.  Check your mount file description.  There is
>a way to specify that the driver be loaded automatically instead of at the
>first access.  I'm at work now so I can't check what the correct value is
>exactly, but I could check if you can't find it.  After you set that mount
>the device and you're in business!

The correct entry is

	MOUNT=1

Uwe Trebbien              trebbien@cbmger
Amiga Dealer Hotline
Commodore Bueromaschinen GmbH Deutschland