[comp.sys.amiga] ATALK III w/ service

CCUCARD%indsvax1.bitnet@uicvm.uic.edu (Paul Cardwell) (05/26/90)

        I recently called Oxxi, to ask about their lastest update of
        Atalk III.  I was told the latest (1.3 version?) of Atalk hasn't
        been released.  The sales person (that I spoke with),
        CANNOT speak english clearly!
        I was pissed!  I like Atalk3, but I couldn't get a word in
        english about HOW MUCH the UPGRADE IS and WHAT has been updated.

        I tried asking, "Could you have someone send me information
        on the latest update,like 1.3?"

        Since I cannot get information on upgrades from OXXI, could
        someone on here (or the author of Atalk III), please
        send me mail on the updates to Atalk III and how much it
        will cost me (from 1.1b to 1.?)?

        Irony: I'm using Atalk iii right now to write this message.

        Paul, "A friend of mine asked, "Wanna buy a MAC?", I replied
               'No I'm not hungry.'"

haphip@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Paradox) (05/27/90)

Yes, things like this are frustrating. I myself have an old version of atalk3
(1.1something), and wanted to see how I would go about getting an upgrade (I
had conveniently lost the registration card. Ugh. I DID have the original box,
manual, disks, and maybe even the shrink-wrapping (Hey, things sit around my
room for long periods of time, OKAY? -)), but none of the customer service
people seemed capable of comprehending what I was talking about. I'm still
stuck with my old 1.1a version, and wish I had a new one, but am without
any idea about how I would go about it.

Any information posted about this would be appreciated.

--Paul

--
       _  _  _
       |\/ \/|

In article <20360@snow-white.udel.EDU> CCUCARD%indsvax1.bitnet@uicvm.uic.edu (Paul Cardwell) writes:
>        I recently called Oxxi, to ask about their lastest update of
>        Atalk III.  I was told the latest (1.3 version?) of Atalk hasn't
>        been released.

This is kind of true and false at the same time.  The big thing about release
1.3 of A-Talk III is the "remote" feature.  Oxxi shipped AT-/// release 1.3a
for a few weeks with the Second Edition manuals and the "remote" documentation
on disk.  They were kind of slow at finishing up the formatting of the Third
Edition of the manual, and so there has been a lag before they ship 1.3b with
the Third Edition manual that includes the remote features docs.  I think
they will print this edition this week, and then they'll start shipping 1.3b
with it.

>        The sales person (that I spoke with),
>        CANNOT speak english clearly!
>        I was pissed!  I like Atalk3, but I couldn't get a word in
>        english about HOW MUCH the UPGRADE IS and WHAT has been updated.

I know of these problems and have complained about it to Oxxi. The problem is
twofold: the original AT-/// tech support guy left and Oxxi has much more
tech. support to do now that they handle all ex-Aegis products. As a result,
Tech. support in general has suffered. I really can't do much about it, since
I can't do tech support (I'm not paid for it, and I don't have time either).
May I suggest that, if you are dissatisfied with Oxxi Tech. Support, please
ask to talk to Oxxi's president, John Houston, and explain your problems. Or
better yet, send in a letter directed to him at:

John Houston
President, Oxxi, Inc.
1339 E. 28th Street
Long Beach, CA 90806
(213)427-1227

Something in writing usually has much more weight if directed to the right
person.

>        I tried asking, "Could you have someone send me information
>        on the latest update,like 1.3?"
>        Since I cannot get information on upgrades from OXXI, could
>        someone on here (or the author of Atalk III), please
>        send me mail on the updates to Atalk III and how much it
>        will cost me (from 1.1b to 1.?)?

Oxxi issued a newsletter with the upgrade prices. Tell the guy to look up
their own newsletter.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

strasser@grasp.cis.upenn.edu (Colin Strasser) (05/27/90)

In article <20360@snow-white.udel.EDU> CCUCARD%indsvax1.bitnet@uicvm.uic.edu (Paul Cardwell) writes:

>        I recently called Oxxi, to ask about their lastest update of
>        Atalk III...
>        I was pissed!  I like Atalk3, but I couldn't get a word in
>        english about HOW MUCH the UPGRADE IS and WHAT has been updated.

Ah yes, thank goodness for commercial software with all its wonderful pro-
duct support.  I've used ATalk III - wonderful product.  Did it lose a sale
because I could get high quality shareware?  Yes it did.  Would it be my
term program of choice had Marco released it as shareware?  Yes it would.
Would Marco therefore have made some money from me instead of losing me
to others?  Yes he would.  So what has standard marketing brought him?  As-
suming Chuck's post is reasonably fitting to Marco's circumstances, then
it has brought Marco heartache, headache, lost sleep, and little money.  It
has apparently done the same for some of ATalk's users.

Marco, next time you get the urge to rail against Jack, think about it
first.  His program is high quality, so he does kmow what it takes to write
good software.  But he has released it via shareware, and so broken down
many of the barriers between himself and his users that are introduced by
publishers like Oxxi.
				-Colin
Colin Strasser				University of Pennsylvania
strasser@eniac.seas.upenn.edu		Moore School of Electrical Engineering
CI$: 72447,1650				Class of '90 -- Penn's 250th year!

In article <25301@netnews.upenn.edu> strasser@grasp.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP (Colin Strasser) writes:
>I've used ATalk III - wonderful product.  Did it lose a sale
>because I could get high quality shareware?  Yes it did.  Would it be my
>term program of choice had Marco released it as shareware?  Yes it would.
>Would Marco therefore have made some money from me instead of losing me
>to others?  Yes he would.

The point is not whether a shareware sale is lost vs. a commecial sale, but
whether in the end commarcial is more profitable than shareware.  I can
assure you that I am making more money than all the shareware programs
available on the Amiga combined.  You fit the kind of person that wouldn't
have bought a program that listed for $99 anyway, so there is really no lost
sale.

>Assuming Chuck's post is reasonably fitting to Marco's circumstances, then
>it has brought Marco heartache, headache, lost sleep, and little money.

Quite the contrary. The Amiga developement experience has been wonderful from
all sides: I have a best selling program that will probably allow me to buy a
house in LA (and I won't tell you how much houses go around here, because it
is close to absurdity :-); I've met a wonderful number of friends at
CBM/C-A/CATS, and as a successful author I can now go to software publishers
(and not only Amiga publishers) and pitch an idea and get it approved and
funded even before one line of code has been written.  Not bad, just out of
a little program started off a university dorm.   And now, I don't lose
sleep any more :-)

>has apparently done the same for some of ATalk's users.

The Tech support problems hopefully are only temporary and due to the too quick
expansion of OXXI.  Up until now, Oxxi has done quite a nice work of technical
support for my product.

bartonr@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Robert Barton) (05/28/90)

From: strasser@grasp.cis.upenn.edu (Colin Strasser)
> Marco, next time you get the urge to rail against Jack, think about it
> first.  His program is high quality, so he does kmow what it takes to write
> good software.  But he has released it via shareware, and so broken down
> many of the barriers between himself and his users that are introduced by
> publishers like Oxxi.

  Commercial means having to do with commerce.  That means anything bought and
sold is commercial. This includes shareware.  So I guess by Jack's own
definition that makes him scum.

Robert L Barton
Memorial Coliseum
Portland OR