[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore : Game Machine Company?

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (05/23/90)

> Commodore cannot produce a game machine on one hand and a ... workstation
> on the other ...

   Sure they can.  All they have to do is give them different names and
most consumers don't make the connection.  In fact, many people I've talked
to who have finally heard of the Amiga are still asking me "Who is it
manufactured by?"                                        - LH

aoe@hpfinote.HP.COM (Alexander Elkins) (05/26/90)

>agree with the idea that the A500 would go over a >lot< better with the
>computer-using community if it had a detached keyboard, since the only other
>computer on the market without one is the C64.  No other-than-knowledgeable

The Hewlett-Packard 9830, 9845, 9835, 9000s500, 9825, 9826, and 9836 desktop
computers all had attached keyboards and sold for thousands of dollars!

 - Alexander

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (05/28/90)

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:

>> Commodore cannot produce a game machine on one hand and a ... workstation
>> on the other ...
>
>   Sure they can.  All they have to do is give them different names and
>most consumers don't make the connection.  In fact, many people I've talked
>to who have finally heard of the Amiga are still asking me "Who is it
>manufactured by?"                                        - LH

But what's their reaction when you tell them Commodore manufactured it?

I don't know how people abroad respond, but here in the states people are
most likely to lump everything together under one brand name.  Isn't that
why companies spin off seperate companies to isolate this fact?

One example that comes to mind is the Techiques series of audio products,
that name responds better than the manufacturing parent company, Panasonic,
true?

  -jack-

apuzzo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (APUZZO ALFONSO A) (05/29/90)

In article <1405@faatcrl.UUCP> jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) writes:

>I don't know how people abroad respond, but here in the states people are
>most likely to lump everything together under one brand name.  Isn't that
>why companies spin off seperate companies to isolate this fact?
>
>One example that comes to mind is the Techiques series of audio products,
>that name responds better than the manufacturing parent company, Panasonic,
>true?
>
>  -jack-

There are many pro as well as counter examples: Mitsubishi CARS, COMPUTERS,
AIRPLANES, SEMICONDUCTORS, and AUDIO/VIDEO EQUIPMENT.  Honda MOTORCYCLES, CARS,
LAWNMOWERS.  Of course we also have Honda-Acura, Toyota-Lexus, Nissan-Infiniti
Sony-Awia.

Oh yeah, Mitsubishi also makes large scale construction eq'pt, easily as much
a niche market as the Amiga, is its own way...

IMNSHO Americans tend to buy the most hyped product initially, but will
eventually move to the _best_ product that fills the available resources, the
same cannot be said for American businesses.

--> Tony <--

Sorry for the mostly non-Amiga bent of this msg...
*
* Be a non-conformist like me and don't use a .sig at all.
*

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (05/30/90)

apuzzo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (APUZZO ALFONSO A) writes:

>>I don't know how people abroad respond, but here in the states people are
>>most likely to lump everything together under one brand name.  Isn't that
>>why companies spin off seperate companies to isolate this fact?

>There are many pro as well as counter examples: Mitsubishi CARS, COMPUTERS,
>AIRPLANES, SEMICONDUCTORS, and AUDIO/VIDEO EQUIPMENT.  Honda MOTORCYCLES, CARS,
>LAWNMOWERS.  Of course we also have Honda-Acura, Toyota-Lexus, Nissan-Infiniti
>Sony-Awia.

  Uh, you missed my point, the companies you mentioned are ones that already
have a *good* reputation.  I'm talking about those that don't, ie. Panasonic.

>IMNSHO Americans tend to buy the most hyped product initially, but will
>eventually move to the _best_ product that fills the available resources, the
>same cannot be said for American businesses.

Yes, consumers and businesses are world apart from a purchasing standpoint.

  -jack-