[comp.sys.amiga] Is there a 6502 cross-assembler for the Amiga?

atn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Alan Nishioka) (05/26/90)

I am looking for a 6502 assembler for the Amiga.  I have been using a
very simple assembler (Supermon) on my PET computer (it has an EPROM
programmer), but I want something a little more sophisticated.

Specifically I would like labels so that it would automatically relocate.

Some of my alternatives:
	1.  Modify a C program for another computer (I have a C compiler)
	2.  Does anyone have a better assembler for the PET?
	3.  Write my own assembler.

My project is one of those LED moving signs which you can now buy at
COSTCO for ~$169.  I chose the 6502 since I had learned the language
and they are pretty cheap (as am I).

Any suggestions?  Comments?  Snide remarks?
Alan Nishioka      KC6KHV      atn@cory.berkeley.edu      ...!ucbvax!atn%cory

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org (John Meissen) (05/26/90)

In article <25273@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> atn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Alan Nishioka) writes:
>I am looking for a 6502 assembler for the Amiga.  I have been using a
>very simple assembler (Supermon) on my PET computer (it has an EPROM
>programmer), but I want something a little more sophisticated.

Argonaut Software has a pretty sophisticated assembler (called ArgAsm). When I saw
it they were claiming 1 million lines per minute assembly speed. Later he said they
sped it up by 25%. You have to take them with a grain of salt, but it definitely is
fast.

--
 John Meissen ............................... Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
 jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

ludde@draken.nada.kth.se (Erik Lundevall) (05/26/90)

In article <510@oregon.oacis.org> jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org (John Meissen) writes:
>In article <25273@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> atn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Alan Nishioka) writes:
>>I am looking for a 6502 assembler for the Amiga.  I have been using a
[stuff deleted]
>Argonaut Software has a pretty sophisticated assembler (called ArgAsm). When I saw

ArgAsm isn't a 6502 assembler though, it is for the 68000.
There is at least one 6502 assembler on the Fish disks (I believe it was
called As6502), but I haven't tried it.

>it they were claiming 1 million lines per minute assembly speed. Later he said they
[more deeleted]

I did get that speed on my Amiga (A2000 with 68010) when assembling a file
with 30.000 NOP-instructions (and a RTS) assembling from ArgAsm's editor
ArgEd.
Normal use is not quite as fast, ArgAsm reports around 150.000 lines per minute
when I'm using it (not including disk I/O & not using ArgEd).
It is still substantially faster than Devpac2 for example.

>--
> John Meissen ............................... Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
> jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;
> ..!sequent!oacis!jmeissen (UUCP)     |  things are never so bad that they can't
> jmeissen                  (BIX)      |  get worse." - Calvin & Hobbes

-Erik Lundevall                  Internet: ludde@nada.kth.se
 SnailMail: Korsbarsvagen 4B/422,S-114 23 STOCKHOLM,SWEDEN
 BBS: +46 8 348523  300-2400 bps  (Camelot - Swedens first Amiga BBS)
 "The keyboard is mightier than the sword"

palmerc@ingr.com (Chris Palmer) (05/29/90)

In article <1990May26.123016.17487@kth.se> ludde@draken.nada.kth.se (Erik Lundevall) writes:
>>>I am looking for a 6502 assembler for the Amiga.  I have been using a

>There is at least one 6502 assembler on the Fish disks (I believe it was
>called As6502), but I haven't tried it.

It is called As6502 and it is on Fred Fish Disk #92.  I have been using it
for several months to do cross-development for a C64.  It is pretty nice and
has a good selection of features, although it doesn't have macros.  It can
generate standard Motorola object records.  Source code is provided and it is
very clear and easy to read (or modify if you like).  It is not very (at all?)
Amiga specific, I had it running on my Unix workstation at work in less than
ten minutes.  At home, I use the CLI utilites that came with GO-64! to write
the code to a C-64 disk drive, a machine language loader then reads it from
the disk to run it on the 64.

--
|  Christopher M. Palmer                        #|Quote section| | | | | | ||
/  Intergraph Corporation                       #| | Closed For| |o| | | | |\

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (05/30/90)

It includes macros, as well as options for several 65XX, 68XX
microprocessors. I'm not sure how close its pseudo_ops are to
standard Apple-Atari-Commodore usage for the 6502, but it seems
to work, and the source code in c is included. It or the
earlier version may well be on a Fish disk somewhere also.

bli@castor.usc.edu (Binary Logics) (05/30/90)

In article <25273@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> atn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Alan Nishioka) writes:
>I am looking for a 6502 assembler for the Amiga.  I have been using a
>very simple assembler (Supermon) on my PET computer (it has an EPROM
>programmer), but I want something a little more sophisticated.
>
>Specifically I would like labels so that it would automatically relocate.

There are some 6502 xassemblers on the fish disks, including Matt
Dillon's Dasm (I think), which can assemble 6502 code along with
many others...

(well, not MANY, but a number of 8bits..)