[comp.sys.amiga] The Amiga/88000 connection

fredc@usenet.umr.edu (Fred Clauss) (05/30/90)

In article <2691@crash.cts.com> (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>I'm sure that an '040 accelerator will be introduced, probubly by GVP, shortly
>after they release it for the A2000...
>But, could anyone really (someone could I imagine) afford say a Motorola 88000
>RISC accelerator?  The unit from Tektronix for the Mac ][ is $10,000...more
>than the Mac itself (unless we're talking about a ][fx with a hard drive).
>I'm sure one from GVP would be cheaper...but not much.

The most expensive part of an 88000 accelerator for the Amiga would be the
software development involved.  Since the 88000 couldn't run AmigaDOS, the
most useful approach might be an 88-Open platform running UNIX X-clients
with an AmigaDOS X-Server (Dale Luck's?) handling the user interface.  This
would offload the compute-intensive tasks, and let the Amiga hardware do what
it does best.  With ZorroIII as the client-server link, X stuff would show
a lot better performance than, say, a client served by a Sun SLC over ethernet.
(Sorry Steve, I just had to put that in :-)

--
Fred Clauss                  INTERNET:  fredc@isc.umr.edu (preferred)
Intelligent Systems Center    		or flc@umree.ee.umr.edu