[comp.sys.amiga] comp.sys.amiga.games

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (12/05/89)

I think that a separate newsgroup  is  neither  necessary  nor  healthy.
Anytime  a  bbs or other such electronic service starts breaking up into
smaller, more specific discussions, these discussions tend to  get  more
and  more  into  flaming about cross-posts and being in the wrong group.

Also,  look  at  how  many  times  a games question turns into a general
discussion on the computer capabilities, the shotcomings of  a  software
company, mail order problems, and so on.

I have no problems with skipping messages I don't feel like reading. Are
we    going    to    have    a     comp.sys.amiga.vs.st     group?     A
comp.sys.amiga.mail.order group? A comp.sys.amiga.pd group?

--
Fight |     //             Julius A. Cisek   jac423,jules      |Don't
Like a|   \X/ ->crunch<-   SUNYA, NY USA     @leah.albany.edu  | Be a

hasker@m.cs.uiuc.edu (12/06/89)

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but has anyone actually done a
survey showing that games waste the largest proportion of bandwidth?
(Please, no flames about `waste'; I don't read notes on games, but I don't
believe that means they shouldn't exist in comp.sys.amiga.)  I'd bet
the largest is the frequent postings about where do I get Fish disks or
what is the cheapest memory expansion available.  Someone has been posting
a note regularly saying how to get at an archive containing discussions of
these topics, but new users probably aren't reading this carefully or (more
likely) the info isn't available to them when they finally need it.  The
solution to this is probably more intelligent news systems.  For instance,
I use something called `notes' developed by Ray Essick here at U of Ill
which has a place for a policy note in which something like this common
answers posting could be placed (not that notes is superior to news in
general; it probably isn't).

Rob Hasker			University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
hasker@cs.uiuc.edu		{uunet|convex|pur-ee}!uiucdcs!hasker

moynihan_r@apollo.COM (Robert Moynihan) (12/06/89)

-

I fail to see where there's a problem with games postings on THIS
newsgroup.  After I got the original message proposing splitting
c.s.a., I decided to see just how many 'games' postings there were.
Since that time, I've noticed that the game post to non-game post
ratio is about 1:14.  So if there's 50 posts in a day, that will
cut out four or five posts, tops.  Not exactly a major time saver.
Hitting the 'n' key each time you see a game name in the header
will take about an extra 10 seconds per day.  Anyone that can't
spare 10 seconds for that probably hasn't got the time to read the
group in the first place. :-)

Those posts should probably go to rec.games.misc, as that group
seems to contain almost exclusively computer games posts.  Creating
c.s.a.games would be redundant.  Better to politely inform any
game poster that r.g.m. would be a better group to post their games
questions, as there are far more games players there.

============================///====================================
moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com   /// "Speed bumps.  Why are they called
Hewlett-Packard Co.    \\\///  'speed bumps' when you have to drive
Apollo Systems Division \XX/    slowly over them?"          -me

drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Michael E. Drues) (12/07/89)

hasker@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Sorry if this has been discussed before, but has anyone actually done a
>survey showing that games waste the largest proportion of bandwidth?

>Rob Hasker			University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

I will be posting a summary of responses to the idea of c.s.a.games
soon.  Is that sort of what you wanted to know?

|   //                  Michael Drues                                   |
| \X/     Internet:     drues@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu                  |
|         Bitnet:       v2.med@isumvs.bitnet                            |

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (The Veteran Cosmic Rocker) (05/27/90)

A new group - comp.sys.amiga.games - has popped up here at MIT.
Question - is it legit?
I don't remember seeing a discussion or a call for votes.
Is this true, or has my brain simply stopped working (a distinct possibility)?

I'd like to know, because I don't want to waste my time reading it if it's
just going to be rmgroup'ed in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

--
Rich Carreiro                                   The Veteran Cosmic Rocker
ARPA: rlcarr@athena.mit.edu

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (05/28/90)

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (The Veteran Cosmic Rocker) writes:

>A new group - comp.sys.amiga.games - has popped up here at MIT.
>Question - is it legit?
>I don't remember seeing a discussion or a call for votes.
>Is this true, or has my brain simply stopped working (a distinct possibility)?

Well, for what it's worth, it appeared here in Sweden also. I've read it twice
(I think) and found it rather uninteresting (because I don't own any of the
games discussed! :-) :-) :-) ).

Mike
--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
  //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se

dick@woodwrk.UUCP (Richard H. Wood, Garland, Texas) (05/30/90)

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman writes:
>rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (The Veteran Cosmic Rocker) writes:
>
>>A new group - comp.sys.amiga.games - has popped up here at MIT.
>>Question - is it legit?
>>I don't remember seeing a discussion or a call for votes.
>>Is this true, or has my brain simply stopped working (a distinct possibility)?
>
>Well, for what it's worth, it appeared here in Sweden also. I've read it twice
>(I think) and found it rather uninteresting (because I don't own any of the
>games discussed! :-) :-) :-) ).
>
>Mike
>--

I certainly hope it's legit!  I won't read it, but it'll serve to
filter bandwidth off comp.sys.amiga.  And, to me, that makes it
worthwhile.

--
d.

reynolds@sunrise.ec.usf.edu (Matthew Reynolds) (05/31/90)

I am looking for the source for multi-user games for C-net? They need to use AREXX .  They are called Pfiles.  Thanks
                           Matthew Reynolds