[comp.sys.amiga] QA at C=

greg@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) (05/26/90)

Yes, I believe that C= does have a serious quality control problem.  My
first A2500/30 arrived at my home (after I had picked it up from the
dealer) with broken shock mounts on the Quantum, the power and hard
disk LEDs wired in reverse (power responded to hard disk, hard disk light
came on with power) and broken/deformed mounts for the '030 board.  The
dealer's only comment when I returned the machine was "They must be
putting them together pretty fast these days..."  He wasn't happy.

My second 2500 only has the problem that the 2091 cannot handle ANY but the
slowest drives in addition to the internal quantum.  From experiments that
I've done with my 2091 and those of friends or the workplace determines that,
for all intents and purposes, the 2091 (Rev 4.0 MODIFIED) is a single-drive
controller.  It simply cannot handle any of the modern large drives
(Maxtor/CDC Wren/Miniscribe have ALL been tried) if you have another drive
also connected to it.  Perhaps that's the "engineering hold" people have been
talking about for the 2091, but this really should have been caught at QA,
AT LEAST.  Since I cannot run other processes that might go for a drive
other than the one I am currently using (or risk locking up the system)
I cannot multitask on my Amiga.

I'm a long-time ('85) Amiga fanatic/owner, but stuff like this really
frustrates me...

--
Gregory R. Travis                Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405
greg@cica.cica.indiana.edu       Center for Innovative Computer Applications

pnelson@hobbes.uucp (Phil Nelson) (05/28/90)

In article <1131@cica.cica.indiana.edu> greg@cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) writes:

>Yes, I believe that C= does have a serious quality control problem.  My

 ...broken shock mounts, wired crossed...

>My second 2500 only has the problem that the 2091 cannot handle ANY but the
>slowest drives in addition to the internal quantum.  From experiments that
>I've done with my 2091 and those of friends or the workplace determines that,
>for all intents and purposes, the 2091 (Rev 4.0 MODIFIED) is a single-drive
>controller.  It simply cannot handle any of the modern large drives
>(Maxtor/CDC Wren/Miniscribe have ALL been tried) if you have another drive
>also connected to it.  Perhaps that's the "engineering hold" people have been
>talking about for the 2091, but this really should have been caught at QA,
>AT LEAST.  Since I cannot run other processes that might go for a drive
>other than the one I am currently using (or risk locking up the system)
>I cannot multitask on my Amiga.

 I am running 2 Quantums on a 2091 without any lockups. I was not able to
run a Conner Cp340 as a 2nd drive without experiencing lockups. The Conner
would run perfectly as the only drive on the controller, but as the 2nd
drive I had the symptoms you describe. I had some communication from
Comodore tech support about this, apparently they have had lockups with
2 Quantums with 2091s with a particular type of WD chip. I think they are
working on some sort of patch, what I did was replace the WD controller.

 You will probably hear from someone at Commodore on this, I did. If not,
mail me, I can look up the details.

>greg@cica.cica.indiana.edu       Center for Innovative Computer Applications

--
Phil Nelson . uunet!pyramid!oliveb!tymix!hobbes!pnelson . Voice:408-922-7508

	The words of the wicked lie in wait for blood,
           but the mouth of the upright delivers men.   -Proverbs 12:6

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (05/29/90)

In article <1131@cica.cica.indiana.edu> greg@cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) writes:

[ problem description deleted ]

>My second 2500 only has the problem that the 2091 cannot handle ANY but the
>slowest drives in addition to the internal quantum.  From experiments that
>I've done with my 2091 and those of friends or the workplace determines that,
>for all intents and purposes, the 2091 (Rev 4.0 MODIFIED) is a single-drive
>controller.  It simply cannot handle any of the modern large drives
>(Maxtor/CDC Wren/Miniscribe have ALL been tried) if you have another drive
>also connected to it.  Perhaps that's the "engineering hold" people have been
>talking about for the 2091, but this really should have been caught at QA,
>AT LEAST.  Since I cannot run other processes that might go for a drive
>other than the one I am currently using (or risk locking up the system)
>I cannot multitask on my Amiga.

Well I have had two Conner CP340's a Fujitsu 2246SA and a Micropolis 1575
and a Archive 2160S tape all on my 2091 at the same time.  I constantly run
two disks and have done tape I/O with one disk while compiling on the other.
I haven't seen any problems with "lockups."  The Fujitsu is a 170M with 64K
cached and the Micropolis is a 380M with 64K cache.  These disk drives
diskperf2 at over 750K per sec reads and 500K writes.  I'm not sure if my
2091 is Rev 4.0 MODIFIED?  This seems like a very solid product to me.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Steve		email: Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM	803-791-7054
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

pnelson@hobbes.uucp (Phil Nelson) (05/31/90)

In article <2155@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM> stevem@sauron.UUCP (Steve McClure) writes:

>Well I have had two Conner CP340's a Fujitsu 2246SA and a Micropolis 1575
>and a Archive 2160S tape all on my 2091 at the same time.  I constantly run

 I didn't try TWO Conners, but the Quantum and the Conner would not work
without locking up. Maybe you have a different version. The HDToolbox read
"CONNER   Cp340 (40mb 3.5) 0456" from mine. I bought the Conner surplus,
originally from equipment meant for Macs (I guess that will teach me eh?).

 My dealer told me he can't get Conners to work on the Amiga.

 Anyone else use a Conner as 2nd drive on the 2091?

>Steve		email: Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM	803-791-7054

--
Phil Nelson . uunet!pyramid!oliveb!tymix!hobbes!pnelson . Voice:408-922-7508

  If you thought prohibition was fun, you're gonna LOVE gun control.