[comp.sys.amiga] AmigaDOS UnCompress needed...

In <2156@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM>, stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) writes:
>In article <20470@snow-white.udel.EDU> FAC2863%UOFT01.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Leon D. Shaner) writes:
>|
>|I need a Unix style UNCOMPRESS... I have a FF version of COMPRESS, but it
>|only includes compressors, no uncompressors....
>|
>Try copying compress to uncompress.  It worked for me on the compress that was
>distributed with uucp1.03.

Depending on which compress it is, a line like:

	compress -d filename

might do the trick.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

FAC2863%UOFT01.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Leon D. Shaner) (05/29/90)

I need a Unix style UNCOMPRESS... I have a FF version of COMPRESS, but it
only includes compressors, no uncompressors....

Is there a complete package on a Fred Fish FTP site somewhere???

If not, can someone please direct me to any FTP site which has it???

Also, since I can only use BITFTP to FTP, a full pathname would help but is
not absolutely necessary....

Thanks in advance...

--Leon D. Shaner...

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (05/30/90)

In article <20470@snow-white.udel.EDU> FAC2863%UOFT01.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Leon D. Shaner) writes:

|I need a Unix style UNCOMPRESS... I have a FF version of COMPRESS, but it
|only includes compressors, no uncompressors....

Try copying compress to uncompress.  It worked for me on the compress that was
distributed with uucp1.03.

Steve		email: Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM	803-791-7054
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (05/30/90)

[woof!]

In article <20470@snow-white.udel.EDU>
FAC2863%UOFT01.BITNET@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Leon D. Shaner) writes:

|I need a Unix style UNCOMPRESS... I have a FF version of COMPRESS, but it
|only includes compressors, no uncompressors....

     To quote the Commodore folks, "It's in there!"

     Compress *is* the uncompressor.  It will vary its behaviour
depending on what its name is, or what command line switches it is
given.  Compress does just what is says.  Copy compress to uncompress,
and you get the decompressor.  Copy compress to zcat and you get a
decompressor that goes to stdout instead of a file, for use in pipes.
Here's the command line switches:

    Compress:
    -c  Compress file and send data to stdout, without writing to a
        file.  Nondestructive.

    -f  Force compression, even if file does not shrink, or <filename>.Z
        already exists.

    -v  Verbose.  Print (un)compression stats to stderr.

    -b  Set maximum size of common substring codes, in bits (ranges
        from 9 to 16).

    Uncompress:

    -c  Uncompress file and send data to stdout, without writing to a
        file.  Equivalent to zcat.

    -v  Verbose.  Same as above.

     Note that setting bits to 16 will chew up *large* amounts of
contiguous ram.  You need at least two meg of Fast Ram to use compress
at that setting.  Setting -b 13 seems to be the largest size that will
work reliably in a one megabyte Amiga, in my experience.

|Thanks in advance...

|--Leon D. Shaner...

     You're welcome.  I hope this helps.

                                    --dds

"Right before your eyes,	  | Dale D. Snell       BIX:  ddsnell
 We pull Laughter from the skies, | Usenet:  dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
 And he laughs until he cries,    | C$erve:  74756.666@compuserve.COM
 Then he dies, then he dies."     | Disclaimer:  Tektronix buys my
     -- Emerson, Lake, and Palmer |   time and labor, not my opinions.

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (05/30/90)

In article <2156@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM> stevem@sauron.UUCP (Steve McClure) writes:
>|only includes compressors, no uncompressors....
>|
>Try copying compress to uncompress.  It worked for me on the compress that was
>distributed with uucp1.03.
>Steve		email: Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM	803-791-7054
>The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
>CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

The standard command line switch is -d for compress.

compress -d filename

			See ya, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
565 South Zeeb Rd.         | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Ann Arbor, MI 48103        | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 662-1506

dick@woodwrk.UUCP (Richard H. Wood, Garland, Texas) (05/31/90)

>I need a Unix style UNCOMPRESS... I have a FF version of COMPRESS, but it
>only includes compressors, no uncompressors....
>
>--Leon D. Shaner...

compress IS uncompress.  On Unix systems, I believe, uncompress is a
link to compress.

To uncompress file fn, just try: compress -d <fn>

The filename can even be specified with or without the .Z suffix.
Either way, compress will uncompress it.

(I'm using compress from AmigaUUCP1.051D.  I assume the Fish one is
compatible.)

--
d.