[comp.sys.amiga] International Amiga Usage Qs

visinfo@ethz.UUCP (VISINFO c/o Sascha Schnapka) (06/01/90)

In article <1990May16.174723.26792@uncecs.edu> ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) writes:

>2.  Now that we all can get 1 meg Agnes, we all can do PalBoot and
>switch between PAL and NTSC standards inside the Amiga, right?
>Okay, assume a multistandard monitor...  I know that PAL and SECAM TV
>standards aren't tremendously far apart, at least not to the extent
>of PAL vs. NTSC.  Like, if you're using SECAM stuff you're supposed to
>be able to see PAL video signals in black and white, perhaps with
>not-perfect sound, or something of the sort.  (Does somebody who's
>watched TV or videos in France have any first-hand knowledge of this? ;^))

The difference between SECAM and PAL is the modultion of the color signal.
Don't know the exact technical specifications. So you could watch a SECAM
transmission on a PAL TV. But there are two versions of SECAM: West SECAM
and East SECAM. Only the East SECAM is B/W compatible with PAL. The West
SECAM (used in France) works with an inverted video signal. Your TV should
have an option to invert the video signal. The Sound is transmitted on a
different sub-carrier which is not compatible with PAL (there are even
different PAL standards: PAL-I in GB and PAL-B/G in the other European
Countries).

>So... how difficult would it be to build a box between the Amiga
>PAL output (perhaps there's a PAL genlock at the Amiga end providing
>a color composite PAL signal) and a SECAM VCR, that does the color signal
>translation from PAL to SECAM?  Is it a difficult/expensive conversion,
>or would it just be a relatively cheap box with input and output cables?

I think you could very cheaply build a RGB-SECAM converter which makes
a SECAM composite signal. There are a lot of cheap RGB-PAL or RGB-NTSC
converters.
You should take the Amiga RGB and not the PAL signal of a PAL Genlock to
make a SECAM composite signal because this would give a better quality and
is probably easier to build. You could also hook it to the RGB Output of
a PAL Genlock. (There are some Genlocks which convert the PAL input into
RGB to display it on the Amiga-Monitor). This gives you a PAL composite
to SECAM composite converter, too!

>Would Amiga users in France be able to use such a thing to dump PAL Amiga
>graphics to SECAM format tapes?  Would low-budget French or Soviet TV
>or video studios be able to use such a thing?

There should be two different versions for East and West SECAM.

>--
>Robin LaPasha              |Keeper of the Amiga

/* Peter Simeon,      UUCP: |       //                             //     */
/*  visinfo@bernina.ethz.ch |      //    Long live the AMIGA!     //      */
/* BIX:  hardwiz            |    \X/                            \X/       */