[comp.sys.amiga] 2090 Problems with GVP Controller!!!!

cole@anomaly.sbs.com (Cole Calistra) (06/01/90)

Hello,
	I have an annoying problem with a 2090 controller I recently purchased.
I also have a GVP Impact Hard Card (46M) with two partitions.  My problem
lies in the fact that the GVP is autobooting and I want it to boot it's
two partitions and then start the 2090 (which isn't autobooting).  The
problem is that I cannot A) Get the 2090 to recognize any sort of a mountlist
and B) Get the 2090 to recognize a drive as the DH2:.  I have a MiniScribe
8024 (20 meg ST-506 drive, I'm not sure of the number).

	If I disable the autoboot on the GVP and just use the 2090, I can do that
fine.  It lowleveled, and highlevel formatted fine!  But I cannot seem to get
it to recognize the drive as being DH2:.  If I do a binddrivers, it loads
the drive as DH0: or DH1: (depending on how the drive select jumper on the
drive is set {yes, I tried putting it on 3 instead of 1 or 2}) and overrides
the existing DH0:  or DH1:  partition on the GVP.  If I mount the drive as
DH2:  (using a mountlist derived from the ones on the 2090 disk) it either
locks or gives me a software failure if I try to load the driver (by
accessing the disk).  Any help is VERY GREATLY appreciated!!  Please send
me mountlists, and/or sample configurations, etc..

            >>If you post a reply, please mail it to me, also<<<

 |                            Cole C. Calistra                             |
 |                     UUCP:  uunet!rayssd!anomaly!cole                    |
 |                      INTERNET: cole@anomaly.sbs.com                     |
 |     Four Fingers and a Thumb Software - The Art of Amiga Development    |

In <1693@anomaly.UUCP>, cole@anomaly.sbs.com (Cole Calistra) writes:
>Hello,
>	I have an annoying problem with a 2090 controller I recently purchased.
>I also have a GVP Impact Hard Card (46M) with two partitions.  My problem
>lies in the fact that the GVP is autobooting and I want it to boot it's
>two partitions and then start the 2090 (which isn't autobooting).  The
>problem is that I cannot A) Get the 2090 to recognize any sort of a mountlist
>and B) Get the 2090 to recognize a drive as the DH2:.  I have a MiniScribe
>8024 (20 meg ST-506 drive, I'm not sure of the number).
>
>	If I disable the autoboot on the GVP and just use the 2090, I can do that
>fine.  It lowleveled, and highlevel formatted fine!  But I cannot seem to get
>it to recognize the drive as being DH2:.  If I do a binddrivers, it loads
>the drive as DH0: or DH1: (depending on how the drive select jumper on the
>drive is set {yes, I tried putting it on 3 instead of 1 or 2}) and overrides
>the existing DH0:  or DH1:  partition on the GVP.  If I mount the drive as
>DH2:  (using a mountlist derived from the ones on the 2090 disk) it either
>locks or gives me a software failure if I try to load the driver (by
>accessing the disk).  Any help is VERY GREATLY appreciated!!  Please send
>me mountlists, and/or sample configurations, etc..

Reread your 2090 manual carefully.  The automounted partitions have fixed names
that are determined by which interface (ST506 or SCSI) they are plugged into,
and which physical address on that interface you have them jumpered for.

To put it all in to one chart, it looks something like this:

|  driver   |             |  RES   |  automounted  |  SCSI   | Notes |
|unit number|  interface  |  name  |  drive name   |  target |       |
|-----------|-------------|--------|---------------|---------|-------|
|     0     |    2090     |        |               |         |   1   |
|     1     |    ST506    |  RES0: |     DH0:      |         |       |
|     2     |    ST506    |  RES1: |     DH1:      |         |       |
|     3     |    SCSI     |  RES2: |     DH2:      |    0    |   2   |
|     4     |    SCSI     |  RES3: |     DH3:      |    1    |       |
|     5     |    SCSI     |  RES4: |     DH4:      |    2    |       |
|     6     |    SCSI     |  RES5: |     DH5:      |    3    |       |
|     7     |    SCSI     |  RES6: |     DH6:      |    4    |       |
|     8     |    SCSI     |  RES7: |     DH7:      |    5    |       |
|     9     |    SCSI     |  RES8: |     DH8:      |    6    |       |
|           |             |        |               |    7    |   3   |

Notes:

  1. The 2090 itself is considered hddisk.device unit number 0

  2. The SCSI target refers to the target address as seen by the SCSI bus
     and is the same as the jumper setting on the drive.

  3. SCSI target 7 is assigned to the 2090, from the point of view of the
     SCSI bus.

General:

  1. If you do not have a drive in any given position, the 'DHn:' name will
     be available for use for another device. If you have a drive in any of
     these positions, the corrsponding name will be used for it, and will not
     be available for use elsewhere.

  2. You must do a binddrivers in order for the driver software to read the
     disk specs off the RESn: partition. This _will_ automount the drives in
     the 'automounted drive names' column.

The answer to your problems lies in making sure that there are no name
conflicts. Since you are using an ST506 drive, you are limited to calling
its automounted partition either DH0: or DH1:. This will mean that you must
name the partitions on your other host adapter something else. I am not
familiar with the GVP controller, so I don't know if it is possible or not. If
they follow the Rigid Disk Block spec (which the 2090 does not), you should be
able to prep the drives on the GVP with names other than DH0: or DH1:, though
it will depend entirely on the GVP prep software.

Hope this helps.. the 2090 docs are not easy to use.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.