[comp.sys.amiga] Compress and 512K

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (06/02/90)

"Bicking, David" <91_bickingd@gar.union.edu> writes:

> 	Ok. The only version of Compress for the Amiga I have found
> needs MORE than one meg, and the docs say, that's "just the way it is".
> It is a direct port of the Unix version.  So if anyone has the BINARY of
> one that works under 1meg, PLEASE send it.  When I said proprietary, I
> meant that it is generally only on unix systems.  It is not used on
> other systems that I have seen except to extract files, other systems
> use PAK, ZIP, ZOO, or PKAX.

I used a version that said the same thing, but found that it would
DEcompress just fine on a smaller machine.  The huge memory requirement
was needed only to compress the files.  You should be able to use it
just fine as long as you only want to decompress the files from the
Internet.

   --- Cal
   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>
 \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
                         Single Tasking?    *JUST SAY NO!!!*