[comp.sys.amiga] Arexx 'waitforport'

In <30304@cup.portal.com>, Robert_No-doubt_Gregory@cup.portal.com writes:
>Perhaps someone else has encountered this problem and can tell me what is
>wrong:  I try to execute the following arexx program:
>     rx "address command 'waitforport sh'"
>
>The result I get is: +++ Command returned 327680
>I expected the waitforport command to wait for 10 seconds and then terminate
>(since there is no port named sh).  Waitforport is a command that comes with
>Arexx but I have never gotten it to work right within a rexx program.
>It seems to work ok if i just enter 'waitforport sh' from a CLI (actually
>Wshell).  I have encountered several rexx programs that use 'waitforport'
>but have never been able to use them because of this problem.  Any ideas or
>suggestions are apprecited.

Hmm... works fine for me. Just tried it exactly like you did, and it waited 10
seconds and exited with a return code of 0.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

Robert_No-doubt_Gregory@cup.portal.com (05/30/90)

dick@woodwrk.UUCP (Richard H. Wood, Garland, Texas) (06/01/90)

Larry Phillips writes:
>In <30304@cup.portal.com>, Robert_No-doubt_Gregory@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Perhaps someone else has encountered this problem and can tell me what is
>>wrong:  I try to execute the following arexx program:
>>     rx "address command 'waitforport sh'"
>>
>>The result I get is: +++ Command returned 327680
>>I expected the waitforport command to wait for 10 seconds and then terminate
>>(since there is no port named sh).  Waitforport is a command that comes with
>>Arexx but I have never gotten it to work right within a rexx program.
>>It seems to work ok if i just enter 'waitforport sh' from a CLI (actually
>>Wshell).  I have encountered several rexx programs that use 'waitforport'
>>but have never been able to use them because of this problem.  Any ideas or
>>suggestions are apprecited.
>
>Hmm... works fine for me. Just tried it exactly like you did, and it waited 10
>seconds and exited with a return code of 0.
>
>-larry

Humm... I with Robert on this one.  I tried it exactly as well, and it gives
me the same results Robert described.

-d.
___________   _______
Dick Wood//  / \   / \ |Become an  |  {texbell|texsun}!digi!woodwrk!dick|
     \\ //  /   \ /   \|  Organ    |{egsner|texbell}!lerami!woodwrk!dick|
 Amiga\X/oodwork Bench |      Donar|             dwood@digi.lonestar.org|

In <3604.AA3604@woodwrk.UUCP>, dick@woodwrk.UUCP (Richard H. Wood, Garland, Texas) writes:
>Larry Phillips writes:
>>In <30304@cup.portal.com>, Robert_No-doubt_Gregory@cup.portal.com writes:
>>>Perhaps someone else has encountered this problem and can tell me what is
>>>wrong:  I try to execute the following arexx program:
>>>     rx "address command 'waitforport sh'"
>>>

>>Hmm... works fine for me. Just tried it exactly like you did, and it waited 10
>>seconds and exited with a return code of 0.
>>
>>-larry
>>

>Humm... I with Robert on this one.  I tried it exactly as well, and it gives
>me the same results Robert described.

Perhaps we have different versions. A LIST of mine shows:

WaitForPort                  356 --p-rwed 12-Aug-88 19:19:02

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

Robert_No-doubt_Gregory@cup.portal.com (06/02/90)

I tracked down what was causing this problem for me: I had sometime back
replaced the 1.3 'Run' command with a 'runbackground' type command.  Revertin
back to 1.3 'Run' is the fix I used.