[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga folklore: Borland, early hardware

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (06/04/90)

In <187.filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us> I (Bela) wrote:
>real reason they stopped was that Philippe Kahn felt that Commodore had
>stabbed him in the back.  He'd been told artificially low prices for the
>Amiga (you were supposed to be able to buy a COMPLETE working system --
>A1000, 2nd drive, 512K RAM, monitor) for under $1000.  I paid $1985 +
>tax for that setup.  The original low price would have fit very well
         ^^^^^^^^^^
>with Borland's low price/high performance image.  The new price didn't,

My mistake -- I paid $1985 + tax for A1000+2nd drive+512K, no monitor.
I bought a Sony separately.  The whole system was over $2500.

In <1821@corpane.UUCP> John Sparks wrote:
>But they continued selling to the IBM market, in which a 80286 machine cost
>at least that much at the time, just for a system box, no monitor, no nothing.
>by the time you added a floppy drive, serial ports, monitor, graphics card,
>etc. you would have been around $3000 or more for a '286 machine (about the
>same performance as an Amiga).

I never said the decision was rational.  The Amiga had been hyped to
Philippe as a machine that would take over, it was so cheap and so good.
When it turned out to be as expensive as the other systems he was dealing
with at the time (PClones) he lost interest.

Bela Lubkin   * *   //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us   CI$: 73047,1112 (slow)
     @      * *    //  belal@sco.com  ...ucbvax!ucscc!{gorn!filbo,sco!belal}
R Pentomino   *  \X/  Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +1 408-476-4633, XBBS +1 408-476-4945