[comp.sys.amiga] Getting over a major hurdle

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (05/30/90)

    I was just reading the letters column of the May 1990 issue of Computer
 Graphics Review and noted with some sorrow the attitude of the "Author"
 towards a complaint from two readers about the lack of coverage of the
 Amiga in a recent article "Making sense of Multimedia".

	The response (quoted without permision) is as follows:

	"The Author replies: Without a question, the Amiga is an outstanding
multimedia platform with a loyal following, especially in the creative arts.
However, like it or not, multimedia will have to be available on the so-called
'standard' platforms from IBM and Apple in order to be widely accepted by
bussiness and industry. That was the focus of the article."

    I guess as long as authors/Editors have this attitude the rest of the
computer world might as well close up shop and quit. :) I wonder how the other
contenders in the multimedia race feel about this????

    Send all flames to where they will do some good (like to editors)
I know where my k key is.

Monty Saine

krooglik@gondwana18.ecr.mu.oz (Alexander Walter KROOGLIK) (05/30/90)

Any Amiga owners from the U.S. who are studying Engineering please contact
me at the address indicated at the top of the flyer.

sysop@tlvx.UUCP (SysOp) (06/01/90)

In article <794@sagpd1.UUCP>, monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:
> 	The response (quoted without permision) is as follows:
>
> 	"The Author replies: Without a question, the Amiga is an outstanding
> multimedia platform with a loyal following, especially in the creative arts.
> However, like it or not, multimedia will have to be available on the so-called
> 'standard' platforms from IBM and Apple in order to be widely accepted by
> bussiness and industry. That was the focus of the article."
>
>     I guess as long as authors/Editors have this attitude the rest of the
> computer world might as well close up shop and quit. :) I wonder how the other

Is this one of those "self-fulfilling prophesies", where if people believe it
then it's true?  (In other words, if you keep telling yourself that Amiga can't
do it, then even if it can, you'll never try, and as long as you don't care
to prove, then it might as well be true.... ok, well, excuse the run-on, but
you get the idea... :-)

Geesh, that's a brutal attitude to have, though!  Grr!  (Flame!  Flame!)

> contenders in the multimedia race feel about this????
>
>     Send all flames to where they will do some good (like to editors)
> I know where my k key is.

I have an interesting idea: it seems to me that the best way to combat this
kind of attitude is to present such evidence that it makes the person who
holds the above views look very stupid for not looking at the Amiga.  Taking
this a step further, wouldn't it be neat to send to the editors of this and
similar magazines a videotape showing actual work, perhaps of something which
does everything mentioned in the article, and then some.  Then again, some
people will never care (hmm, I have had a hard day ;-)  I usually am more
optomistic :-) ).

Another idea: those who know how to do this stuff on the Amiga could write
an article on the same topics, but just from the Amiga point-of-view.  Perhaps
the magazine would publish it if it were done well?

> Monty Saine

Gary Wolfe
uflorida!unf7!tlvx!sysop, unf7!tlvx!sysop@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

jlg3@uafhcx.uucp (Jennifer L. Garner) (06/04/90)

The Amiga is going to make even more of a name for itself, we feel. We are
developing a mid-end to high-end multimedia workstation which will include
16 bit digital audio, near broadcast quality graphics, and an integrated
video editing package, as well as bundling the best of the third-party
titling and animation/3-D graphics software, all tied together with SMPTE
time code through our custom shell software.

We intend to market the system very hard to specific niche markets. We have
personal contacts within our first intended niche market, for which our
workstation will represent a 75% reduction in their production costs in
the first year. We intend to hit the appropriate trade publications, take
an active role in the training aspects and production of customer projects,
survey existing facilities for potential markets, and maintain a constant
refinement of our system as we go.

Our approach is to sell the SYSTEM, promoting the Amiga indirectly as the
core of our product. We intend to look at our system from the perspective
of non-Amiga users, developing our products based on ease-of-use and
flexibility.

Don Kennedy
Jim May

Vision Quest