[comp.sys.amiga] Amigas at Disney

thomas@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/tty000) (05/29/90)

While I was vacationing in Florida recently I had the opportunity to go
to the Disney/MGM Studios.  I was in the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt
Spectacular waiting for the show to start when I looked down at the control
booth and say a very familiar looking monitor.  I looked at it for quite
awhile and came to the conclusion that it must me an Amiga monitor.  So after
the show was over I went down the the control booth and lo and behold what
did I see but 2 or 3 Amiga 2000's sitting down there.  I talked to the guys
in the booth and they said that they use them for controlling the wireless
microphones and some other things, I forget what else they control, I think
they used one for the sound effects.  The guys in the booth said they really
enjoyed using them and said that they knew there were more of them around
Disney in use.  I wish Commodore would use this as one of the advertising
ploys, talk about a big name that you could boast uses your machines.  If
you have any questions about this let me know and I will answer them to the
best of my knowledge and ability.  I thought it was really cool to see the
Amiga being used by Disney.

--
         ____
        / / /  Amiga 1000  | Thomas "Maverick" Schwarz  -  Sirius Software

sjm@sun.udel.edu (Steve Morris) (06/01/90)

In article <3306@eklektik.UUCP> thomas@eklektik.UUCP (/dev/tty000) writes:
>the show was over I went down the the control booth and lo and behold what
>did I see but 2 or 3 Amiga 2000's sitting down there.  I talked to the guys
>in the booth and they said that they use them for controlling the wireless
>microphones and some other things, I forget what else they control, I think

The wireless control was probably the Sennheiser Mikroport system. I was
flipping through a Millimeter magazine when I found a fold out ad for
their wireless systems. Inside the 4 page spread is a 4" high picture of
a 2000 with a bar graph display. The names amiga and commodore are in
full view, no attempt to cover it up. The full column description of the
system mentions "Phantom of the Opera" and "Starlight Express" as
Broadway shows that use their microphone system.

Steven Morris, University of Delaware - Instructional TV

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (06/05/90)

In a similar but slightly different vein, I noticed a Pittsburgh Paint
display at my local hardware store that showed *all* of the colors on
screen and allowed you to select a picture to paint using the paint
colors.  It was really neat.  You select a picture from 8 inside shots
and 8 outside shots.  The names and numbers of the paints you pick
scroll across the bottom of the screen.  There is a dual level pallet
for selecting colors (a pallet of pallets, see?) or type in the color
on a number pad on screen.  Now with all those clickable areas on the
screen and the large number of shades and the flicker, I am certain
the hardware is an Amiga.  Does anyone know for sure?  It is sure a
neat application.  Too bad the display doesn't mention Amiga somewhere.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

Oh yes, the only controls are a trackball for the 'arrow' and a button.