[comp.sys.amiga] The Colony

bjornk@bula.se (Bjorn Knutsson) (06/05/90)

In article <1759@trlluna.trl.oz> soh@shiva.trl.oz (kam hung soh) writes:
>bjornk@bula.se (Bjorn Knutsson) writes:
>>In article <MT87692.90May29030535@uikku.tut.fi> mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) writes:
[...]
>>> And I would like also to know how many of you people really play games while doing
>>>something else? If you do, do you really like those every now and then updating
>>>games with poor graphics (thanks to memory shortage).
>>
>>I do and I like them. The most important aspect of a game is NOT cute
>>graphics. It's much more important that the game is fun to play.  One
>>of my favorite games is The Colony. It multitasks, I can install it on
>>my harddisk and I can pull down it's window. Now, there are some other
>>aspects of this game that I don't like, but those would be the same
>>regardless if the game multitasked or not. The protection used is OK
>>as protections go. Now, I don't like any form of copy protection, but
>>I can see why it's needed. The solution used in The Colony is one of
>>the better I've seen.
>
>Hmm... What is this game about?  Is it a nice meaty adventure
>game?  Am I correct in assuming that the copy protection is a
>random keyword in the manual?

It's sort of an adventure. It's mouse controlled, and it has some
"action" stuff (basically blasting bug-eyed monsters). Now, the
protection used is sort of a code sheet. You need these codes to open
some hatches and start a reactor. But the protection is integrated
with the game in a way that makes it less obnoxious than the average
code-wheel protection. The program is ported from the Mac, and suffers
from this in certain situations. But it's still a game that I can
recommend. I have certainly played it more than any non-multitasking
game I own. (Of course, I don't own very many of those, and of the
ones I own, only one works with my '020 card...)

Oh, the game? Well, basically, you are sent out to figure out what has
happened on a (space) colony. You crash on the planet and then you're
on your own. You know almost nothing and, at least at first, you keep
dying without knowing why. You have a map of your own ship, but that's
about it.

>>>--
>>>Mikko "Assembler rules OK!" Tsokkinen
>>>Internet mt87692@tut.fi : UUCP tut!mt87692 : Bitnet mt87692@fintut

>Soh, Kam Hung
>Telecom Research Laboratories, P.O. Box 249, Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia
>email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 03 541 6403

---
Bjorn Knutsson        / USENET: bjornk@bula.se or sunic!sics!bula!bjornk
Stangholmsbacken 44  /  Phone : +46-8-710 7223
S-127 40 SKARHOLMEN /     "Oh dear, I think you'll find reality's on the
S W E D E N        /       blink again."  -- Marvin The Paranoid Android