[comp.sys.amiga] editor

ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) (10/08/89)

I have discovered, through serendipitous experimentation, a really great
(albeit obscure) public domain text editor that tops everything I've
seen, except perhaps CygnusEd... it's called AZ, and it's a french
import.  It has a clean interface, and is extremely well-programmed from
the Amiga perspective (uses the clipboard, RJ Mical's file requestor,
opens multiple windows, iconifies, has scroll arrows next to one
another, and dozens of other little features that are extremely useful).
 Plus, it has something I've never seen in a text editor before (or, for
that matter, any Amiga WP programs...) an UNDO function!  It's certainly
better than some commercial efforts like TxEd, unless you really need
the ARexx, and the author doesn't demand any exhorbant shareware fee for
a "nondistributable version with added features like text entry, load
and save options, etc.'

The one caveat is that the doc file is in French, and if you ignore it
you miss some nice features (such as how to make the window colors more
pleasant).  Still, for the non-francophobe programmer, this is certainly
one of the best.  Get it NOW.

wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) (10/09/89)

In article <8Z=r0qy00WE501I2hz@andrew.cmu.edu>, ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
 > I have discovered, through serendipitous experimentation, a really great
 > (albeit obscure) public domain text editor that tops everything I've
 > seen, except perhaps CygnusEd... it's called AZ, and it's a french import.
 > . . .
I agree.  It's very nice.  And it is one of the few editors that I know
which FULLY support the user's font and keymap.
 >  . . .                                                   It's certainly
 > better than some commercial efforts like TxEd, unless you really need
 > the ARexx,  . . .
Well, it certainly delivers more value per dollar, but I do not agree that
it's better.  I find it slower to load and slower to use, but that's not
a problem.  More serious: there is no macro facility of any kind.  Also
the file size is about 60K compared to TxEd's 24K.  This is, without a doubt,
partly due to the fact that TxEd uses the arp library, while Az does not.
 > . . .
 > The one caveat is that the doc file is in French, and if you ignore it
 > . . .
It's supposed to be on Fish Disk 228.  My copy came from a local board,
and its doc file is in English.  I assume that my copy is traceable to
the Fish Disk since the sysop has the Fish Disks.

Az is an excellent example of first rate Amiga software that is freely
distributable.  Our thanks are due to Jean-Michel Forgeas.

William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA
wfh58@leah.albany.edu                Albany, NY 12222

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (10/10/89)

In article <8Z=r0qy00WE501I2hz@andrew.cmu.edu> ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>I have discovered, through serendipitous experimentation, a really great
>(albeit obscure) public domain text editor that tops everything I've
>seen, except perhaps CygnusEd... it's called AZ, and it's a french

Thanks for the high praise.

>the Amiga perspective (uses the clipboard, RJ Mical's file requestor,

Well, I'd call using RJ's requestor a slight minus. Nothing against -=RJ=-,
as he even likes CynusEd Professional's new requester better than his.

> Plus, it has something I've never seen in a text editor before (or, for
>that matter, any Amiga WP programs...) an UNDO function!  It's certainly

Then you'll love the new CygnusEd. It's got an unlimited UNDO function
(limited only by memory)! People used to using Brief on IBMs had been
asking (nay, pleading) for this feature.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams

levay@stsci.EDU (Zoltan Levay) (10/11/89)

In article <8Z=r0qy00WE501I2hz@andrew.cmu.edu>, ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>  Plus, it has something I've never seen in a text editor before (or, for
> that matter, any Amiga WP programs...) an UNDO function!

The vi editor has the undo function.  This is available for the Amiga in
PD form as Stevie.
--

						Zolt

bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (10/12/89)

In article <857@lyra.stsci.edu> levay@stsci.EDU (Zoltan Levay) writes:
>In article <8Z=r0qy00WE501I2hz@andrew.cmu.edu>, ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>>  Plus, it has something I've never seen in a text editor before (or, for
>> that matter, any Amiga WP programs...) an UNDO function!
>
>The vi editor has the undo function.  This is available for the Amiga in
>PD form as Stevie.

The undo in VI is only one level.  Useful, but hardly noteworthy.  To be truely
usefull, you should be able to undo an arbitrary number of actions ( including
the undos themselves ).  As of yet, I haven't seen this in any editors
except Emacs (the real one) and a custom editor I worked on during a co-op
work term a year ago.  I don't know what kind of undo Mike is talking about.
( I haven't seen the product ).

Of course, in the near future, multi-level undo will be available in my
favourite Amiga editor ...

Stay tuned for details ...

	Blair
--
= Blair MacIntyre, bmacintyre@watcgl.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}          // =
=   now appearing at the Computer Graphics Lab, U of Waterloo!           \X/  =

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (10/13/89)

In article <11876@watcgl.waterloo.edu> bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) writes:
>In article <857@lyra.stsci.edu> levay@stsci.EDU (Zoltan Levay) writes:
>>In article <8Z=r0qy00WE501I2hz@andrew.cmu.edu>, ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>
>The undo in VI is only one level.  Useful, but hardly noteworthy.  To be truely
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Are you talking about Stevie here or "generic" vi's. The vi on our system
    supports I believe 10 (maybe 36, I can't remember now and I don't have the
    manual around) levels of undo's. In other words you can recall the
    last ten deletions in any order. I will give you that it is not a simple
    single key stroke but the  facility does exist. It will also undo undo's.

    Monty Saine

rap@peck.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (10/17/89)

In article <493@sagpd1.UUCP> monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) writes:
>In article <11876@watcgl.waterloo.edu> bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) writes:
>>In article <857@lyra.stsci.edu> levay@stsci.EDU (Zoltan Levay) writes:
>>>In article <8Z=r0qy00WE501I2hz@andrew.cmu.edu>, ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>>
>>The undo in VI is only one level.  Useful, but hardly noteworthy.  To be truely
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    Are you talking about Stevie here or "generic" vi's. The vi on our system
>    supports I believe 10 (maybe 36, I can't remember now and I don't have the
>    manual around) levels of undo's. In other words you can recall the
>    last ten deletions in any order. I will give you that it is not a simple
>    single key stroke but the  facility does exist. It will also undo undo's.
>
>    Monty Saine

The documentation that most manuals provide for vi is sadly lacking
in the area of talking about the buffers.  Below is an extract that
describes the use of numbered buffers in vi.  Yes, vi has up to
a ten level undo (restoring deletes, that is).  Here is a description
showing how to take advantage of that.

Copyright 1989, Ardent Computer Corp, All Rights Reserved

	Extracted from "Programmer's Guide"
		Author: Rob Peck

Using Numbered Buffers

Numbered buffers hold the 9 most recently deleted blocks of text
and operate as a pushdown stack, along with the unnamed buffer.
As an example, if there is a deleted line currently in the unnamed
buffer, and another line is deleted, then the first line is pushed
into numbered buffer 1, and the unnamed buffer now has the most
recently deleted line or block of text.  The former contents of
buffer 1 are pushed into buffer 2, the contents
of 2 goes to 3 and so on, for a total of 9 numbered buffers.

To reinsert any blocks of text from these buffers, you
use the put command (p or P) as follows.  Assume
you want to restore something that you deleted three deletes ago.
The unnamed buffer contains the most recent deletion, Buffer 1
the second most recent, and buffer 2 contains that
third most recent deletion, the one you wish to restore.
Move the cursor to the postion at which to insert the text and type:

	"2p

The double-quote character says that you are referring to a buffer.
The 2 is the number of the buffer that you are using.   Finally
the p is the command to put the contents into the edit buffer.

The contents of all of the numbered buffers remains the same until the
next delete happens, even across edit-file boundaries.

An interesting trick is possible using vi's undo command.  Lets say
you know that what you want to insert somewhere was deleted recently
(within the last 9 block deletes), but you are not quite certain
which one of those deletes it was.  You can use the repeat command (.)
feature, along with undo, to view the contents of the numbered buffers
sequentially as shown in the example here.
First, issue a command that inserts the first of
these numbered buffers:

	"1p

If this is not the one you want, issue the command

	u.

This has the same effect as though you had typed "2p.
Internal to vi, the effect is to increment the buffer
number, undo your original put, and try it again with
the next numbered buffer.

If you wish to try this command, create a text file that
contains the following lines:

Here is where to put the stuff
8th deleted line
The bottom line

Place the cursor somewhere in the first line, then enter
the following command characters:

	dd.........

(dd followed by 8 periods)  This fills all 9 delete buffers, one
with each sentence.

Now position the cursor in the line containing the word
'Here', and issue the command:

	"1p

It brings back the line 1st deleted line.  Now issue the
command:

	u.

Each time you issue this command, the current deleted line
disappears and is replaced by the next one in sequence.
Whatever was the deleted block, in each case, appears in
response to this command.  The deleted block might contain a
word, a line, or a large block of text.
The only disadvantage to using the double-quote commands is that
there is no user feedback provided until you complete the command.
However, you can always use undo if you discover you have made a mistake.

Rob Peck

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (10/18/89)

In article <857@lyra.stsci.edu> levay@stsci.EDU (Zoltan Levay) writes:
>In article <8Z=r0qy00WE501I2hz@andrew.cmu.edu>, ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) writes:
>>  Plus, it has something I've never seen in a text editor before (or, for
>> that matter, any Amiga WP programs...) an UNDO function!
>
>The vi editor has the undo function.  This is available for the Amiga in
>PD form as Stevie.

CygnusEd Professional Release 2 has an undo and redo feature which allows
an arbitrarily large number of operations to be undone and redone. This is
limited by user definable undo buffer space. An entire edit session can be
undone and then replayed.

(I just got back on the usenet air after a long absence. sorry if this is
old news)

pk

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

plav@cup.portal.com (Rick M Plavnicky) (10/21/89)

I've always preferred emacs-style editors.  Presently on the Amiga I
use the microemacs v3.10 (recently posted) with a few modifications.
Overall, it's very good and certainly serves the purpose, but far
from perfect.  (Chuck, how's your work on it coming?  Haven't heard
anything from you lately...)

The best emacs-style editor I've run across is on another platform.
The product is called Epsilon, from Lugaru Software.  This editor
currently runs under MS-DOS, OS/2, and UNIX.

WRT the UNDO feature that everyone's been discussing so heavily
lately, the docs for Epsilon claim that while you can set the size of
the undo buffers to be very large, sticking with the default size
will allow you to undo the last 1500 commands or so.  Personally,
I've never hit the limit.

I use this editor every single day, and I've never lost a bit of work
due to it malfunctioning.

I use Epsilon under MS/DOS (boo!  hiss!  but hey, but that's what
they pay me for...), but I sorely wish that Lugaru would port to the
Amiga.  I'd gladly pay the $195 list, it's that good.

Maybe Lugaru would consider a port, now that we've passed the 'magic'
million machine mark?  Perhaps I should write to them and ask, instead
of writing here?  I don't have their address handy, but Lugaru is in
Pittsburgh...

Rick Plavnicky
{...}!sun!cup.portal.com!plav
"I've got a bunch of bananas, and a bottle of bleach..."

dalbec@sakura.ucdavis.edu (Gabe Dalbec) (06/01/90)

I am looking for recommendations for the best text editor for C
programming.  I would like to have {} matching, easy cursor (with mouse
movement) searches, goto line #, etc.

What is everyone out there using for their C-Programming?  Where can I
get it (PD is better, I'm cheap).

*       __                    ___                                       *
*      ///  /\    |\  /|  |  |   |    /\     Gabe Dalbec                *
* __  ///  /  \   | \/ |  |  |  _    /  \    Univ. or Calif. Davis      *
* \\\///  /----\  |    |  |  |   |  /----\   Computer Science Engr.     *
*  \\\/  /      \ |    |  |  |___| /      \  dalbec@sakura.ucdavis.edu  *
*                                                                       *

mrr@mrsoft.Newport.RI.US (Mark Rinfret) (06/05/90)

>In article <7421@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> dalbec@sakura.ucdavis.edu (Gabe Dalbec) writes:
>
>I am looking for recommendations for the best text editor for C
>programming.  I would like to have {} matching, easy cursor (with mouse
>movement) searches, goto line #, etc.
>
>What is everyone out there using for their C-Programming?  Where can I
>get it (PD is better, I'm cheap).

Don't be cheap - get CygnusEd Pro, version 2.0. That, coupled with Peter Cherna's
ARexx package (DevKit) make a helluva nice combo!

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (06/06/90)

In article <7421@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, dalbec@sakura.ucdavis.edu (Gabe Dalbec) writes:
> I am looking for recommendations for the best text editor for C
> programming.  I would like to have {} matching, easy cursor (with mouse
> movement) searches, goto line #, etc.
>
> What is everyone out there using for their C-Programming?  Where can I
> get it (PD is better, I'm cheap).

> *       __                    ___                                       *
> *      ///  /\    |\  /|  |  |   |    /\     Gabe Dalbec                *
> * __  ///  /  \   | \/ |  |  |  _    /  \    Univ. or Calif. Davis      *
> * \\\///  /----\  |    |  |  |   |  /----\   Computer Science Engr.     *
> *  \\\/  /      \ |    |  |  |___| /      \  dalbec@sakura.ucdavis.edu  *

I use microemacs from the Extras disk. If the file is a C program it will
do {} and () and [] matching.

|  Hamish Marson                        |  Internet  hamish@waikato.ac.nz    |
|  Computer Support Person              |  Phone  (071)562889 xt 8181        |
|  Computer Science Department          |  Amiga 3000 for ME!                |
|  University of Waikato                |                                    |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |