[comp.sys.amiga] MACS & IBMS

CCUCARD%indsvax1.bitnet@uicvm.uic.edu (Paul Cardwell) (05/29/90)

MAC (general):

I recently used a MAC IIcx (close enough), and I thought I'd bring
up McDraw II (ver??).  During its loading time, I played with the mouse
pointer.  The mouse pointer was fighting to move across the screen.
I never have this problem on my Amiga.

Macintosh needs to design a CLI environment.  User Friendly means to
make life easy not only to the average idiot, but to well versed computer
users.  Amiga has both, a customizable CLI and Workbench.

Macintosh needs to design a program to let you see everything thats on the
disk, and I do not mean the HEX code.  Amiga can do this via CLI, and now with
2.0 Workbench.   It can preview disks using DISK utilities.

Macintosh needs to be able to multitask!  This is a requirement.
Amiga Multitasks.  I've used the MAC computers, I also like to do other
things at the same time. --For example:

  Word Processing while Downloading while Painting while formatting another
  data disk, all at the same time.

  Normally I have running: Dmouse,Cshell,AtalkIII,Disk Master (or SID), and
        Cygnus Ed Professional.
  I find non-multitasking computers "BORING!"

--end of example.

I know there are a lot of things the MAC needs, but now for the IBM.

Overall to shorten this message:

COMPUTER A:
Amiga:
     1. Multitasks, 2. User Friendly, 3. CLI and Workbench (customize
     to your liking), 4. Mouse can be moved with ease, 5. has stereo sound,
     6. RAM DISK can be used as a disk drive (RAD). Plus MORE!
     Emulations: C64,UNIX(soon),ATARI ST (oh boy),MAC SE,and IBM AT.

COMPUTER B:
IBM:
    1. NULL, 2. NULL, 3. DOS, 4. NULL, 5. NULL, 6. NULL More Headaches
    Emulations: AIX (UNIX..pretty good, but needs some work)

--Any questions?  Would you buy Computer A or B?

charles@teslab.lab.OZ (Charles W. Widepy) (06/01/90)

In article <20472@snow-white.udel.EDU> CCUCARD%indsvax1.bitnet@uicvm.uic.edu (Paul Cardwell) writes:
> [a pretty haphazard and erroneous comparison of Mac and Amiga]
>Macintosh needs to design a program to let you see everything thats on the
>disk, and I do not mean the HEX code.

You can see everything on a disk - all files on a Mac have an icon
(except hidden files) - this is better than the Amiga for people who
don't want to mess with the CLI.  There are also programs like
disktop which allow you to see all files on the disk including hidden
ones.

>Macintosh needs to be able to multitask! ...   I also like to do other
>things at the same time. ...

To the user the Mac does appear to multitask.  Remember multifinder.
If the programs are 100% multifinder co-operative you can do word
processing and file downloads etc simultaneously.  The real advantage
to proper (pre-emptive) multitasking as on the Amiga is to the
programmer (and indirectly the user) where it makes life much
simpler.

What I really found annoying about the Mac IIcx that I use is that
the system won't let you do other things while copying files or
formatting a disk - very frustrating!  Also when opening a file using
the standard file requester you can't do anything - not even move a
window which is obscuring the file name you want to see!!!

> [a pretty haphazard and erroneous comparison of MSDOS and Amiga]

An MSDOS clone can do anything an Amiga can with the appropriate
add-ons. Windows, mouses, sound cards, RAM disks, even several
multitasking additions (but lots of problems and no intertask comms
etc).

MHO and some facts.  I don't want a flame war but I couldn't let
these inaccuracies pass.

Charles.

gpsteffl@sunee.waterloo.edu (Glenn Patrick Steffler (Co-Op Scum)) (06/05/90)

In article <764@teslab.lab.OZ> charles@teslab.lab.oz.au (Charles W. Widepy) writes:
>An MSDOS clone can do anything an Amiga can with the appropriate
>add-ons. Windows, mouses, sound cards, RAM disks, even several
>multitasking additions (but lots of problems and no intertask comms
>etc).

Intertask communication has been built into Windows since 2.11.  Some very
upscale apps use it, including Excel and Word for Windows.  Most of the 3.0
apps will be including it in some form.

>MHO and some facts.  I don't want a flame war but I couldn't let
>these inaccuracies pass.

Ditto

>Charles.

How formal of you :-)
--
  ########--########	Co-Op Scum	Red Heads Do It In The Shade
   #######/\#######

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (06/05/90)

In article <1990Jun5.010240.17383@sunee.waterloo.edu> gpsteffl@sunee.waterloo.edu (Glenn Patrick Steffler (Co-Op Scum)) writes:
|In article <764@teslab.lab.OZ> charles@teslab.lab.oz.au (Charles W. Widepy) writes:
|>An MSDOS clone can do anything an Amiga can with the appropriate
|>add-ons. Windows, mouses, sound cards, RAM disks, even several
|>multitasking additions (but lots of problems and no intertask comms
|>etc).
|
|Intertask communication has been built into Windows since 2.11.  Some very
|upscale apps use it, including Excel and Word for Windows.  Most of the 3.0
|apps will be including it in some form.
|

|>MHO and some facts.  I don't want a flame war but I couldn't let
|>these inaccuracies pass.
|
|Ditto

The only problem with add-ons is that not everyone has them.  At least in the
Amiga environment everyone has all the software needed to run any application
just by having the OS.  Same thing with hardware really.  I know my app will
run on another Amiga because everyone has a mouse, everyone has the same
display, etc.  I also have the advantage that I don't have to have a mouse
driver or printer driver to write for my app to take advantage of those
resources.  I also don't have to worry about TSR's that don't live well
together.

Steve		email: Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM	803-791-7054
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

<LEEK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (06/06/90)

In article <2173@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM>, stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve
McClure) says:
>|>An MSDOS clone can do anything an Amiga can with the appropriate
>|>add-ons. Windows, mouses, sound cards, RAM disks, even several
>|>multitasking additions (but lots of problems and no intertask comms
>|>etc).
>|

>The only problem with add-ons is that not everyone has them.  At least in the
>Amiga environment everyone has all the software needed to run any application
>just by having the OS.  Same thing with hardware really.  I know my app will
>run on another Amiga because everyone has a mouse, everyone has the same
>display, etc.  I also have the advantage that I don't have to have a mouse
>driver or printer driver to write for my app to take advantage of those
>resources.  I also don't have to worry about TSR's that don't live well
>together.

The other bigger problem with add-ons is that not everyone has the same ones.
Customer A might have a EGA with microsoft mouse while B has PC mouse with
Super VGA etc.  The possible combinations are so opened ended that a part-time
programmer might not have the resources to support all the possible hardware
configurations for the end users.

One of the things I really like is the way the graphics hardware supports
custom screens.  If the programmer doesn't like the OS do the output, he/she
can write to the custom screen without causing problems (if the programmer
stick to some simple rules )

>--
>Steve           email: Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM   803-791-7054
>The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
>CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

K. C. Lee

We have the "Snap, Crackle & Pop", they have the "Fruit and ???".  How about
a cereal interface  ?  Please... please.... :B^)

goose@surf.sics.bu.oz (Ralph Schwarten) (06/06/90)

From article <20472@snow-white.udel.EDU>, by CCUCARD%indsvax1.bitnet@uicvm.uic.edu (Paul Cardwell):

> MAC (general):
>
> I recently used a MAC IIcx (close enough), and I thought I'd bring
> up McDraw II (ver??).  During its loading time, I played with the mouse
> pointer.  The mouse pointer was fighting to move across the screen.
> I never have this problem on my Amiga.

	You must have loaded the software from the floppy drive :-)
	The mouse interupt is rescheduled to a lower priority in order
	to speed floppy disk access.  This is not the case when using
	SCSI devices due to their inherent large bandwidth.  Hence I
	have never seen this problem when loading from a hard disk.
	Besides.. the Amiga ponter *freezes* will it redraws windows

> Macintosh needs to design a CLI environment.  User Friendly means to
> make life easy not only to the average idiot, but to well versed computer
> users.  Amiga has both, a customizable CLI and Workbench.

	Ever heard of MPW ?   (Macintosh Programmers Workshop)
	This product provides a command line interface to the macintosh
	operating system.
 	It was written for Macintosh programmers/powerusers.  It
	provides a rich set of tools (language compilers,linkers,source
	level debuggers etc.. for C,pascal and assembler).  It also
	allows (unix like, amigados like ms-dos like) access to the Mac
	filesystem.  You know.. things like change directory, view
	directory, delete directory, copy files, delete files.. all
	those command line interface commands we have come to love.

	It also has a script(batch) file language that allows you to
	create startup-sequences (no pun intended) macintosh menus
	(sorta like arexx) and other fun batch file like things.

	It provides for multiple windows and it multitasks between them
	(not pre-emptive though).  It also provides the facility (ala
	arexx) to communicate with processes running in other windows.

	And GUESS WHAT !!!!!!   THE WINDOWS HAVE SCROLL BARS :-))))))
	Something that commodore again neglected in cli windows in ver
	2.0

> Macintosh needs to design a program to let you see everything thats on the
> disk, and I do not mean the HEX code.  Amiga can do this via CLI, and now with
> 2.0 Workbench.   It can preview disks using DISK utilities.

	See above !! SUM Utilities, Copy II MAc, The Finder,
	Retrospect to name a few more :-)

>iMacintosh needs to be able to multitask!  This is a requirement.
> Amiga Multitasks.  I've used the MAC computers, I also like to do other
> things at the same time. --For example:
>
>   Word Processing while Downloading while Painting while formatting another
>   data disk, all at the same time.

	Shit... send me a movie of yourself word processing and painting
	at the same time :-) How the f... do you do it ?  Or do you have two mic	e ;-) Tell me,  how do
	you keep mouse focus on both windows at the same time ?

>   Normally I have running: Dmouse,Cshell,AtalkIII,Disk Master (or SID), and
>         Cygnus Ed Professional.

	WOW !!!! So not only do you have a multitasking computer but you
	yourself are multitasking !!! "Able to use multiple applications
	simultaneously it's MULTI-MAN" :-) But really Paul, if I could
	be so bold , could I put to you that you really put a program that you
	are not currently working on into background, and bring the one
	that you do want to work on into the foreground ? Sound very similair to
	Multi finder on the Macintosh. Which BTW, can also download in the
	background

>  I find non-multitasking computers "BORING!"
	This line really sums up your intellectual prowess

	By the sounds of you, you have the technical knowledge of a
	slug. Therfore you would not even begin to use the Amiga's true
	multitasking environment and facilities.   Based on what you say
	above.. I would assume you use it as little more than an
	applications swapper (like Apple's Multifinder)

>[crap about IBMs deleted]

I don't mind critism of the Macintosh I use both Macintosh and Amiga
computers heavily.  However when a missinformed little twerp starts
sprouting absolute crap about a subject that he knows little about(and
speaking as if he did !!) i get a bit up in arms.  Both are excellent
computers.  Either one has features that make it unique.. each may do a
certain job better than the other.  So let's stop this "My computer is
better than yours because this is the computer I own" attitude, and get
with it !!!!

Ralph Schwarten
Computing and Information Technology
Bond University