[comp.sys.amiga] CBM Announces CDTV

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill/Wintermute) (06/06/90)

       Here is some info on CBM's CDTV taken from BIX ... Mucho thanks go to
BIX and all of their copyrights and  restrictions go along with this msg.
Hosana in the highest to BIX blah blah blah..... :-)

  Enjoy......

COMMODORE INTRODUCES THE CDTV PLAYER, HOME ...

WEST CHESTER, PA (JUNE 4) PR NEWSWIRE - Commodore International Limited
(NYSE: CBU) announced the CDTV Player at the Consumer Electronics Show in
Chicago on Saturday, June 2.
   The CDTV Player, which easily connects to any television, stereo system
or video monitor, operates a new generation of interactive, multimedia
applications on Compact Disc (CD) for education, information, reference and

entertainment.  The attractively-styled unit is easily operated through a
10-key infrared remote control.
   The CDTV Player will be marketed by Commodore's worldwide consumer sales
force, and is planned to be sold later this year through better consumer
electronics/audio video departments and specialty stores.  It is expected to
retail for under $1,000.
   By utilizing the CDTV's advanced capabilities and expansive memory (each
disc has more memory than 700 computer diskettes), the CDTV applications are
expected to open new dimensions in learning and experience through ease of
use, true interactivity, and an innovative mixture of words, graphics,
motion, sound and videographic detail.
   Lucasfilm, the Virgin Publishing division of Virgin Records, Cinemaware
and other third party developers are scheduled to ship over 100 CDTV
application discs this year.  The discs are currently expected to retail
around the $25-$60 range.
   In addition to various interactive resource materials, a wide variety of
instructional programs are planned, in cooking, sports, foreign languages
and special learning programs for children.  Music, from rock to opera, will
be enhanced with videographics, while electronic games will offer
significantly more sophisticated depth of play, sound and graphics.  The

CDTV Player will also run existing CDs featuring music, and music and
graphics (CD+G).
   Key to the CDTV is an innovative blend of CD-ROM technology, the Motorola
68000 microprocessor and Commodore's proprietary multimedia technology
currently used in its line of Amiga personal computers.  The Amiga is the
only computer with out-of-the-box capability to multitask and manipulate
video, graphics, animation, music and text.
   Commodore International Limited, through its operating subsidiaries
around the world, manufactures and markets personal computers for the
professional, home/office and consumer markets and also manufactures and
markets information, education and entertainment products for the home.  The
company has four product lines:  Amiga multimedia computers, PC  compatible
computers, classic C64 computers, and now, CDTV Players.
   CONTACT:  Carden Welsh, treasurer of Commodore International,
215-431-9100; or Gary Fishman or Aliisa Prebble, 212-661-1830, or Donald
Reynolds, 213-275-9024, all of Reynolds Associates, for Commodore.

COMMODORE PREVIEWS FIRST INTERACTIVE MULTIMEDIA ...

CHICAGO (JUNE 4) BUSINESS WIRE - Commodore International unveiled its
Commodore Dynamic Total Vision (CDTV) interactive multimedia player at
Summer CES.
   The new player, which is a synthesis of Compact Disc and advanced
computer technologies, represents a revolutionary advance in the development
of interactive consumer electronics products and home entertainment.
   Commodore's CDTV player is the first consumer-oriented product to combine
the massive storage capabilities of the Compact Disc with the multitasking
capabilities, audio, graphics, sound and processing power of an advanced
personal computer into a single, simple-to-use, affordable unit.
   The player connects directly to a television set and home stereo unit to
become an interactive entertainment, information and education center.
   A simple infrared remote device controls the player, allowing consumer
access to a wide variety of programs.  For example, CDTV technology makes it
possible for consumers to access specific topics listed in reference
materials such as encyclopedias, world atlases and almanacs at the touch of
a button.
   According to Bushnell, there is expected to be more than 100 titles
available for the CDTV player at the time of product launch in the fall.  In
addition to various interactive resource materials, there is planned to be

available a wide variety of instructional programs such as cooking, sports,
foreign languages and special learning programs for children.
   Music, from rock to opera, will be enhanced with video graphics.
Electronic games will be significantly more sophisticated in depth of play
 sound and graphics than on any currently available video game or personal
computer format.
   The majority of discs will carry a retail price ranging between $30 and
$100.
   Commodore will offer a wide range of dedicated peripheral products as
well.  Planned peripherals include an infrared computer keyboard, infrared
joysticks, a 3-1/2-inch floppy disk drive, a printer and a video  genlocking
card, which allow users to mix computer graphics with live video.
   Commodore International, through its worldwide operations, is one of the
world's leading producers of computer-based consumer and business products.

Corporate headquarters are located at 1200 Wilson Drive, West Chester, Pa.
19380; 215/431-9100.
   CONTACT:  Commodore International, West Chester, Pa.
    David Rosen, 215/344-3040
                     or

    Rogers & Associates, Los Angeles
    David Ellis, 213/552-6922.

COMMODORE PREVIEWS FIRST INTERACTIVE MULTIMEDIA ...

CHICAGO (JUNE 4) PR NEWSWIRE - Commodore International unveiled its
[...]

card, which allow users to mix computer graphics with live video.   The CDTV
player is also compatible with conventional CD-Audio discs at 8-times
oversampling and CD-G discs (Compact Disc audio with graphics).

   The CDTV system of players, accessories and program applications is
scheduled for launch in early fall by Commodore subsidiary companies
operating throughout the world.   CDTV's suggested retail price is expected
to be under $1,000 (U.S.).
   Commodore International, through its worldwide operations, is one of the
world's leading producers of computer-based consumer and business products.
Corporate headquarters are located at 1200 Wilson Drive, West Chester,
Penn., 19380; 215-431-9100.
   CONTACT:   David Ellis of Rogers & Associates, 213-552-6922, for
Commodore International; or David Rosen of Commodore International,
215-344-3040

==========================
microbytes/items #884, from microbytes, 2406 chars, Tue Jun  5 22:51:00 1990
--------------------------
TITLE:  Commodore Merges Amiga and CD Player in Multimedia Machine

Commodore International has combined the brains of an Amiga
computer with a CD player in a new system it hopes to sell as a
multimedia machine for the home. The new Commodore Dynamic Total
Vision system, which the company revealed at this week's Consumer
Electronics Show in Chicago, connects to a TV or video monitor
for visual output and to a stereo for audio output. The company
plans an official product launch in the fall and hopes to sell
the CDTV Player for "less than $1000," said Commodore
spokesperson David Rosen.

The system combines elements of the Amiga 500, such as the
Motorola 68000 processor and multiprocessing capabilities, with
proprietary devices to handle different interface and media
functions. Commodore officials are emphasizing that the CDTV
system is not a computer; it's "a multimedia platform that takes
.More..
advantage of a computer," Rosen said.

Still, the company will sell some optional attachments that will
sound familiar to computer users: a 3.5-inch floppy disk drive, a
printer, infrared keyboard and joystick, and genlock card for
merging computer graphics with video. The system will come with a
64K "smart card" port that people can use for storage, "like if
you want to stop a game in progress and download it," Rosen said.
You manipulate the player with a 10-key infrared remote control.

The CD unit conforms to the ISO 9660 standard and can play "all
existing CDs, as well as CDs with music and graphics [CD+G],"
Rosen said.

Commodore expects to have at least 100 CDTV applications ready
this year. Those discs, which will probably cost between $25 and
$60, will include "illustrated encyclopedias, atlases, generic
childrens' classics, lots of games, adult games, cookbooks,
family health books," as well as music videos from a wide range
of artists, Rosen said. The company is "attracting developers
.More..
from the Amiga universe, from the CDI [Compact Disc-Interactive]
community, and other multimedia people," Rosen said.

The user interface for CDTV applications is "being finalized
now," he said. Commodore hopes to devise "a very clean, non-
computer-looking user interface," Rosen said, meaning no menus,
windows, or elements of "the conventional DOS environment."

                     --- D. Barker

Contact: Commodore International, 1200 Wilson Dr, West Chester,
PA 19380; (215) 431-9100
From: hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill/Wintermute)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Commodore's New CDTV