[comp.sys.amiga] Text Editor Options

LordBah@cup.portal.com (Jeffrey J Vanepps) (05/27/90)

Am I missing something or are there really no vi (stevie on the Amiga)
fans out there?  Sit on the paren/brace/bracket and hit "%".  Free,
and not even copyrighted.

Please no editor wars, I'm just trying to answer a question.

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (05/29/90)

In article <30232@cup.portal.com>, LordBah@cup.portal.com (Jeffrey J Vanepps) writes:
> Am I missing something or are there really no vi (stevie on the Amiga)
> fans out there?

I am a strong fan of 'vi'. It took awhile to get use to it, coming from an
IBM/370 TSO environment, but now use it on UNIX, PC's, and Amiga's. I've tried
a couple of microemacs editors, Jove on the UNIX and Benchmark's flavor on the
Amiga, and it just seems to add more keystrokes. To each their own I guess. On
of these days I would like to spend the time to learn DME, TxEd, Uedit, and
Ced in depth to compare but for now 'vi' seems straight forward and streamlined
once you get use to it. I have no interest either in editor wars!

As far as Jove and Microemacs editors go, it seems like the attitude of many
UNIX/C programmers here at work is that Microemacs is good for non-programmer
types that don't want to spend the time to learn a 'real' editor. I can feel
the flames coming already but I've got to stress that my experience with Jove
and Microemacs is minimal, and I like what feels comfortable. Still as I plan
on learning Modula2 with Benchmark, the integrated environment might tempt me
to use their editor more. Time will tell.

---Mike

--
"Fogtown, I'm out on your street          | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
I'd run if I only had a place to run to"  | DLA Systems Automation Center

koren@hpfelg.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (05/30/90)

> I am a strong fan of 'vi'. It took awhile to get use to it, coming from an
> IBM/370 TSO environment, but now use it on UNIX, PC's, and Amiga's. I've tried
> a couple of microemacs editors, Jove on the UNIX and Benchmark's flavor on the

This is drifting a little bit, but the 1.5 release of SKsh will support
vi style command line editing in the shell, including insert mode,
movement mode, etc.  In fact, the editing will be user definable so you
can emulate your favorite editor with it.  (Alot of people were asking for
vi support, so I put this in).

   - steve

bn@okcusr.UUCP (06/01/90)

/* Written  3:32 pm  May 26, 1990 by LordBah@cup.portal.com in okcusr.UUCP:comp.s.amiga */

> Am I missing something or are there really no vi (stevie on the Amiga)
> fans out there?  Sit on the paren/brace/bracket and hit "%".  Free,
> and not even copyrighted.

I like my VI. True, it's not very self-explanatory as many seem to complain,
however, it is very functional and besides, I'm used to it. I guess it's because
it's the only multi-featured editor that I use.  I'm sure that the other
editors probably have more features, but why learn a new editor, when my vi gets
the job done. By the way, what's the latest version of Stevie? Or is there a
REAL vi editor for the  Amiga? (Stevie lacks some of the important features.)

Bo Najdrovsky
...att!mwood!attcc!ulab!bn
mwood!attcc!ulab!bn@ATT.ATT.COM

dailey@cpsin2.uucp (Chris Dailey) (06/06/90)

In article <6600005@okcusr.UUCP> bn@okcusr.UUCP writes:
>the job done. By the way, what's the latest version of Stevie? Or is there a
>REAL vi editor for the  Amiga? (Stevie lacks some of the important features.)

Stevie has everything I've ever wanted EXCEPT a word wrapping option.
Is my version just too old?

--
  /~\  Chris Dailey   (CPS Undergrad, SOC Lab Coord, AMIG user group Secretary)
 C oo  dailey@cpsin1.cps.msu.edu  (subliminal message-make WP5.1 for the Amiga)