[comp.sys.amiga] fsck for a hard disk?

In <56897@bbn.BBN.COM>, cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>I've managed to mess up my hard disk a little bit.  Disksalv is all
>well and good, but far as I can tell [and I'd _love_ to be proven
>wrong!!] it is pretty useless for your biggest device, since there is
>nothing big enough to disksalv the device _to_.  fsck on Unix has the
>nice property of doing much of what disksalve does... but it manages to
>do it *in*place*.  Is there an equivalent trustworthy utility for Amy?

'A little bit'? Is that like 'a little bit pregnant'? ;-)

Disksalv will salvage to multiple floppies, though it will be a pain, as
multiple floppy operations always are, but it is do-able.  You can also salvage
to another HD partition, and stop Disksalv as the other partition gets close to
being filled, copying some files off to floppy, or perhaps Zooing or ARCing
them to make room. Any way you look at it, it's a bother, but if your most
recent backup is not good enough to restore from, there really isn't much
choice.

Diskdoctor is a pretty iffy proposition. While it sometimes will do an
admirable job, it will sometimes cause more grief than you eanted to hear
about. Diskdoctor's major fault is that is does things 'in-place', and
may not always do the right thing, or at least it may sometimes do the only
thing, but not what you would have wanted. Bottom line on Diskdoctor is that
even assuming it did the best job for you, you will still have to copy all the
files off and restore. I figure it's better to either do it manually or
Disksalv, then attempt a manual recovery.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (06/04/90)

I've managed to mess up my hard disk a little bit.  Disksalv is all
well and good, but far as I can tell [and I'd _love_ to be proven
wrong!!] it is pretty useless for your biggest device, since there is
nothing big enough to disksalv the device _to_.  fsck on Unix has the
nice property of doing much of what disksalve does... but it manages to
do it *in*place*.  Is there an equivalent trustworthy utility for Amy?

Thanks..
  /Bernie\

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (06/05/90)

[woof!]

In article <56897@bbn.BBN.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
|I've managed to mess up my hard disk a little bit.  Disksalv is all
|well and good, but far as I can tell [and I'd _love_ to be proven
|wrong!!] it is pretty useless for your biggest device, since there is
|nothing big enough to disksalv the device _to_.

     Sure there is!  Get yourself a *big* stack of formatted floppy
disks and settle down for a nice long session of disk swapping.  (Well,
they don't have to be preformatted, but it goes faster.)  Then type
"Disksalv from DH1: to DF1:" (or whatever drives you're using).
DiskSalv will happily salvage the hard drive partition to your stack of
floppies.  It works just fine, trust me -- I've done it.

|  fsck on Unix has the
|nice property of doing much of what disksalve does... but it manages to
|do it *in*place*.  Is there an equivalent trustworthy utility for Amy?

     That would certainly be a nice utility to have.  Certainly the disk
validator doesn't cut it, and as for DiskDoctor, the less said, the
better.

|Thanks..
|  /Bernie\

     You're welcome.  "Glad to be of service."

                                    --dds

Dale D. Snell      dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM      74756.666@compuserve.COM
"Nice house.  Good tea."

In <1990Jun6.042910.297@foetus.syd.sgi.oz.au>, peterk@foetus.syd.sgi.oz.au (Peter Kerney.Silicon Graphics.Australia) writes:
>From article <3396@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM>, by dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell):
>>      That would certainly be a nice utility to have.  Certainly the disk
>> validator doesn't cut it, and as for DiskDoctor, the less said, the
>> better.
>
>Diskdoctor sux!
>
>One thing I have noticed on my A590. If you visit the GURU while doing I/O,
>when you reboot, the hard disk goes beserk. It seems to be doing 800 time the
>amount of work when going through s:startup-sequence et. al.
>
>I dont know whether this is doing some type of fsck or what, but I haven't
>had any corruptions yet (quick, where is a piece of wood, touch).

It's being validated. The validator ( L:Disk-Validator ), checks the root
block and sector zero, and if it finds anything amiss, does further checks.
When you stop a write in progress through a GURU, power hit, and so on, it
can leave the bitmap in a 'funny' state, and the 'bitmap valid' flag will be
turned off. When the validator finds this, it will scan through the entire
directory structure, rebuilding an image of the bitmap. When it's done, it will
wrote the bitmap out and set the bitmap valid flag on again.

The validator will not attempt to repair any file system inconsistencies it
finds.

>A590's have ffs on them. Anyone throw any further light on this.

Yup, they do at that. What further light are you in need of?

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

peterk@foetus.syd.sgi.oz.au (Peter Kerney.Silicon Graphics.Australia) (06/06/90)

From article <3396@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM>, by dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell):

new@udel.EDU (Darren New) (06/06/90)

In article <1990Jun6.042910.297@foetus.syd.sgi.oz.au> peterk@foetus.syd.sgi.oz.au (Peter Kerney.Silicon Graphics.Australia) writes:
>One thing I have noticed on my A590. If you visit the GURU while doing I/O,
>when you reboot, the hard disk goes beserk. It seems to be doing 800 time the
>amount of work when going through s:startup-sequence et. al.

This is the "disk validator."  It is started whenever you mount a volume
whose bitmap has not necessarily been flushed. The validator runs through
the directory structure checking that there are no inconsistancies.
My recent posting (validate) will force this without you having to
do a reboot.

Not that the validator is NOT like fsck.  fsck will repair a file system
in place.  The validator will only tell you there is a problem without
fixing it.                           -- Darren

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (06/07/90)

In article <1990Jun6.042910.297@foetus.syd.sgi.oz.au> peterk@foetus.syd.sgi.oz.au (Peter Kerney.Silicon Graphics.Australia) writes:
>One thing I have noticed on my A590. If you visit the GURU while doing I/O,
>when you reboot, the hard disk goes beserk. It seems to be doing 800 time the
>amount of work when going through s:startup-sequence et. al.
> [...]
>A590's have ffs on them. Anyone throw any further light on this.

(presuming someone else will answer in detail about the disk validator)

Be glad the A590 has FFS on it!  I am told that if it were OFS the validation
process would take much, much longer.  Basically your disk is being validated
in parallel with your startup thanks to Multitasking (all praise be to it) and
you are hearing disk gronking at HD warp speeds.  Mine usually finishes shortly
after my startup, and it's no problem.

It scares me every time this happens... if the validator cannot finish, my
HD is history... at best I will have to back up and restore.  At BEST.  So
far, so good...

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|Internet bscott@nyx.cs.du.edu, FIDO 1:104/421.2 or Arvada 68K (303)424-9831|