[comp.sys.amiga] games & multitasking

kosma%human-torch@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) (06/08/90)

   Bottom line..  I won't buy products that are protected, but if I had to make a
   choice between a dongle and any other form of protection, including disk copy
   protection, I would NOT choose the dongle.

   -larry

I agree 100%...but with this question for you, Larry: what's your opinion
on the "word in the manual" or codewheel types of protection?  Do you
buy those kind of products?  This seems to me to be the most reasonable
form of protection:  it doesn't really interfere with my work or using
a program (at least if it's done right, and I only have to give it the
word once per execution, AND it's not something that I have to execute
separately many times a day (like, I leave it running for a long time)),
and while it may not prevent a person from giving a copy to their friend
along with a xeroxed manual, it DOES prevent a faster, more widespread
distribution of the program--at least, as long as some pirate doesn't
manage to eliminate the codeword stuff from the disk.  I don't have
any idea how hard this is to do with typical codeword algorithms (you
can encrypt stuff on the disk, but if somebody can watchdog the code
with a debugger, they might be able to crack it), but I would guess that
this has as good a chance if not better at staying uncracked as does
disk-based protection.

monty

In <21407@snow-white.udel.EDU>, kosma%human-torch@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) writes:
>   Bottom line..  I won't buy products that are protected, but if I had to make a
>   choice between a dongle and any other form of protection, including disk copy
>   protection, I would NOT choose the dongle.
>
>   -larry
>
>I agree 100%...but with this question for you, Larry: what's your opinion
>on the "word in the manual" or codewheel types of protection?  Do you
>buy those kind of products?

I have purchased one product that required me to look something up in the
manual (Silent Service). I enjoyed the game, and would still, but I gave it
away shortly after I tried to play it one evening, and couldn't find the
manual (my filing system can best be described as 'sedimentary').

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.