[comp.sys.amiga] Clock Not Found. Help needed.

santerel@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (06/05/90)

I'm encountering the 'battery backed up clock not found' error which
has been mentioned on this newgroup before. I don't remember how to
make the fix and was hoping someone could e-mail some info to help
out. I tried looking for previous references for this problem, but the
system here doesn't keep news that far back I guess. All help would be
appreciated. Please reply via e-mail unless you think this is good
general knowledge.

Thanks.   	-wally (santerel@grad1.cis.upenn.edu)

Walter A. Santarelli    University of Pennsylvania, Computer and Info. Science
  (Grad Student)          "My opinions are my own etc."
e-mail:santerel@grad1.cis.upenn.edu   (the only address I know that works)

sjm@sun.udel.edu (Steve Morris) (06/05/90)

In article <25687@netnews.upenn.edu> santerel@grad1.cis.upenn.edu () writes:

>I'm encountering the 'battery backed up clock not found' error which
>has been mentioned on this newgroup before. I don't remember how to

It just started to happen to me also. I have a MAST micromegs 501 work
alike. I don't know if it the same clock chip as the 501, but at least it
is socketed so I can replace it easily. I tried a program called
clockdoctor which friend used to get rid of a virus in his clock. On  my
system it replys 'You don't have a clock'

> Please reply via e-mail unless you think this is good
>general knowledge.

Might as well post it, or e-mail me also.

>Thanks.   	-wally (santerel@grad1.cis.upenn.edu)

Thanks also.

Steve (sjm@sun.udel.edu)

trebbien@cbmger.UUCP (Uwe Trebbien GERMANY) (06/07/90)

Hello

Most times the clock is frozen due to the setting of the hold bit in the
control register. To reset that bit you should simply type

SETCLOCK RESET

in the shell.
The only problem is, that only setclock from WB 1.3 Rev 34.28 will work
correct. All prior versions test for the existence of the clock chip
by waiting about one second to see if the contents of the seconds register
have changed before restteing the hold bit. Because the clock chip is
locked there is no change in the seconds register and the chip is not
restted.

WB 1.3 Rev 34.28 is sometimes called WB 1.3.2

Sincerely	UWE

--

Uwe Trebbien              trebbien@cbmger
Amiga Dealer Hotline

In article <25687@netnews.upenn.edu> santerel@grad1.cis.upenn.edu () writes:

>I'm encountering the 'battery backed up clock not found' error which
>has been mentioned on this newgroup before. I don't remember how to

Here is one point where you MUST use Workbench 34.28 (aka 1.3.2). This
offers a slightly changed SetClock program, in that the reset option
also works when the clock was stopped. (This is the normal cause for
this error message, done normally by some wild-going other program.)
Just take this Workbench, open CLI or Shell and say
setclock reset

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel       E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany         rutgers!cbmvax!cbmbsw!cbmger!peterk