[comp.sys.amiga] EMAIL SURVEY: Graph Plotting Programs for Amiga

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (06/07/90)

I would like some idea of the number of people who would use/are
using an Amiga based graph plotting program.

While the results of this survey will not affect the forthcoming
release of Multiplot XLN, it will affect my decision on whether
or not to attempt a few of the more difficult requests I have
recieved.

My observation is that on the MAC, Cricket Graph is the most often
used plotting program. It appears to have have had very few revisions
over the last 6 years, so I assume it has not sold well. I am also
somewhat surprised at never having recieved a non-beta bug report
for Multiplot... I'm sure it is not because of the absolute absence
of bugs. It occurred to me that it may be because no-one actually
uses it.

Given the enormous investment in time that has gone into Multiplot
(when you see the next version you'll see what I mean) I am keen to
know if anyone gives a stuff.

SO:

Please email me if you have a use for a graph plotting program.
Please name the program if you are already using one (Amiga only,
thanks)

I will post the results (if any!).

Regards Alan

ms361@leah.Albany.Edu (Mark Steinberger) (06/07/90)

In article <8751@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>I would like some idea of the number of people who would use/are
>using an Amiga based graph plotting program.

What we really need is a good plotter for solutions of differential
equations. This would be particularly useful for nonlinear 2x2
systems.

--Mark

wille@frith.uucp (Jeffrey Wille) (06/07/90)

I tried MultiPlot at my local dealer and thought it was WONDERFUL.  I took
a copy home and it wouldn't run.  Guess I need WB 1.3?  Anyway, if I could
get it to work, I'd use it a lot.  Looks like a super program.

					-Jeff

markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (06/07/90)

In article <8751@wehi.dn.mu.oz>, BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
> I would like some idea of the number of people who would use/are
> using an Amiga based graph plotting program.

I dont' use an Amiga based graph plotting program becuase I havn't
found one yet (no I havn't tried Multiplot, let me know where I can
access it and I'll try it.

> My observation is that on the MAC, Cricket Graph is the most often
> used plotting program. It appears to have have had very few revisions
> over the last 6 years, so I assume it has not sold well.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG!!!!  Cricket Graph has sold extremely well.
The reason it hasn't gone through so many revisions is it doesn't
really need it.  It is a simple yet powerful program.  Sometimes I get
tired of "bell and whistleism".  There is still room for small
specific programs that do one thing easy and well (even more so on a
multitasking Amiga).  Cricket Graph's strength is its simplicity.
I've had several people who were VERY computer illiterate sit down and
quickly use Cricket Graph to produce effective graphs.  Couple that
with PICT and the Macs extremly well supported clipboard, and ANY Mac
word proccessor and you can quickly produce a nice document and have
it print nicely.

> I am also
> somewhat surprised at never having recieved a non-beta bug report
> for Multiplot... I'm sure it is not because of the absolute absence
> of bugs. It occurred to me that it may be because no-one actually
> uses it.

Couldn't help you there.  I'll try it, but one of the biggest Amiga
problems is still painless output.  To this day there isn't ONE Amiga
word processor and ANY kind of graphics program that will let me cut
and paste NON-bitmap (ie object oriented) graphics.  But this isn't
your fault.  The Amiga desperately needs a portable (simple is okay)
IFF format that is as well supported as ILBM for object graphics.

> Given the enormous investment in time that has gone into Multiplot
> (when you see the next version you'll see what I mean) I am keen to
> know if anyone gives a stuff.
>
> SO:
>
> Please email me if you have a use for a graph plotting program.
> Please name the program if you are already using one (Amiga only,
> thanks)

Sorry, I use Cricket Graph since I need to produce integrated reports
with the graphs I make.

> I will post the results (if any!).
>
> Regards Alan
Mark Gooderum			Only...		\    Good Cheer !!!
Academic Computing Services	       ///	  \___________________________
University of Kansas		     ///  /|         __    _
Bix:	  markgood	      \\\  ///  /__| |\/| | | _   /_\  makes it
Bitnet:   MARKV@UKANVAX		\/\/  /    | |  | | |__| /   \ possible...
Internet: markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) (06/08/90)

Sorry, I tried to mail but got bounced.

Yes I have a use for MultiPlot and a scientific graphics program.  I have
played with the PlPlot library for a little while and found them satisfactory
except that they chew up too much memory.  I have also used your multiplot.
The last release was almost good enough for me to use regularly.  The biggest
problem/bug I found was that if I enlarged the graph, the lines get drawn
outside the viewport of the graph.  That's ok for a toy, but I wouldn't use
something that does that.  I will compliment you that MultiPlot is good.

Unfortunately, the majority of my data is created on a PC and either plotted
on a PC or a NeXT.  So, I have now become very disgusted with my 9-pin graphics.
printer.  Personally, I would like to take the time to work with the PostScript
support in PlPlot and see what can be done with that.  Any more, if it ain't
got PostScript, I ain't gonna use it.  I write papers in AmigaTeX and NeXTTeX
and my drawings MUST be in PostScript.  Everything looks better at 400 DPI.

I am still interested in MultiPlot.
Thanks,
Bill Murphy

--
Bill Murphy                                  | Zaphod, Vell he's just zis
murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu             |         guy you know.

amr@dukee.egr.duke.edu (Anthony M. Richardson) (06/08/90)

From article <24673.266e2ff9@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, by markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu:
> In article <8751@wehi.dn.mu.oz>, BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

(stuff deleted)

>> I am also
>> somewhat surprised at never having recieved a non-beta bug report
>> for Multiplot... I'm sure it is not because of the absolute absence
>> of bugs. It occurred to me that it may be because no-one actually
>> uses it.
>
> Couldn't help you there.  I'll try it, but one of the biggest Amiga
> problems is still painless output.  To this day there isn't ONE Amiga
> word processor and ANY kind of graphics program that will let me cut
> and paste NON-bitmap (ie object oriented) graphics.  But this isn't
> your fault.  The Amiga desperately needs a portable (simple is okay)
> IFF format that is as well supported as ILBM for object graphics.

That's a surprise to me.  I've been using AmigaTeX (which allows you
to include IFF files and Encapsulated PostScript) for about two
years. The PLPLOT plotting library can be used to create IFF, HPGL,
Aegis Draw, Tektronix, and Encapsulated PostScript graphs. (Except
for IFF, all of these are vector/object oriented graphics languages.)
This combination gives me text/graphics output superior to anything
else I've seen.

I agree that we might need some sort of object oriented graphics
file format, but PostScript isn't too shabby and has become something
of a standard in DTP.  A recent posting by Tom Rokicki indicated that
he has decided to include support for importing PostScript files
into AmigaTex (you can do this now if you have a PostScript printer).
AmigaTeX can already include IFF files.  I guess my point is that
we don't necessarily need an Amiga specific object oriented format
when PostScript can do the job.  I would like to see more support
for importing and exporting PostScript.

Tony Richardson      amr@dukee.egr.duke.edu

p.s. ListPlot has been submitted to comp.binaries.amiga and should be
appearing soon.  It is a 2D plotting program based on PLPLOT with
loads of features.