[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga at CES

ja26612@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/08/90)

Well, Commodore was back at CES for the first time in a few years.  They were
not showing the A3000 there, because it would attract too much attention.  They
said they were concentrating on getting the A500 out to the consumer market
and were looking to mass-retailer chains.  They had a fairly large exhibit
with Amiga 500's, limited edition 2500's, 64C's, and their IBM clones.

An interesting product was at CES, which I read in an Amiga magazine was developed
on an Amiga was the LYNX by Atari.  It is a handheld color, stereo 16-bit sound
LCD portable game system for $180.  Embarrasingly, the games for it are better than
99% of Amiga's games.  But, I don't think you'll be seeing Dragon's Lair for it
soon.

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org (John Meissen) (06/08/90)

In article <46200077@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> ja26612@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>An interesting product was at CES, which I read in an Amiga magazine was developed
>on an Amiga was the LYNX by Atari.  It is a handheld color, stereo 16-bit sound
>LCD portable game system for $180.

I love the way facts get distorted over time! Just to set the record straight,
Lynx was developed by Epyx, and later licensed to Atari. It wasn't developed
ON an Amiga, but it was developed by ex-Amigans Dave Needle, RJ Mical, Dave
Morse, and Rick Rice. And the software development environment is built around
the Amiga 2000.

My memory is a bit fuzzy about this, but I don't think it is 16-bit sound. I'm
pretty sure it uses 8-bit sound data. It has been a while.

The machine deserves a lot of respect. Being able to render 400+ sprites per
frame at 15 fps makes it a powerful little box. And Dave Needle's sprite engine
has more than just speed. I hate to plug Atari, but this is a box worth getting.

Netters have known about this little baby for a while. It actually started selling
in limited quantities for Christmas.

BTW, Sam Tramiel called me and asked if I would consider porting the debugging
environment to the ST. (hee hee) It must irritate him some to have to tell
developers they have to buy an Amiga to write software for it. (No, I'm not
going to port it, although they are quite free to try to themselves. In all
honesty it is too much work and I have too little time).

--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;