[comp.sys.amiga] flickerFixer Future

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (06/07/90)

The new Denise is obviously a major step for C=, and one that I've been waiting
for for quite some time-- standardized non-flicker in addition to new video
modes (Yeah, yeah-- enough-- we know ;-).

My question for the net is this:  what is the flickerFixer's future once Amigas
are packaged with the ECS?  MicroWay has offered outstanding quality and
support, IMHO, with the 'Fixer for quite some time now.  I would really hate
to see M'Way go under as a result.  I am unaware (my fault, prob'ly) of any
other products they produce for the Amiga-- are they well-established on other
platforms?  Their ads are getting scarce in the Amiga rags.

Just a concerned customer,
Dave Hopper      |      ///  Yesterday, CS.           | My favorite icebreaker:
                 |     ///    Today, Anthro/History.  | "If you were really my
bard@jessica.    | \\\///                             | friend, you'd kill me
   Stanford.EDU  |  \XX/ Tomorrow... bleeding ulcers. | now."

jonabbey@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) (06/08/90)

In article <1990Jun7.133716.25812@portia.Stanford.EDU>,
  bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) writes:

[summary of Microway's plight now that the new denise/AMBER circuitry is out]

>MicroWay has offered outstanding quality and support, IMHO, with the
>'Fixer for quite some time now.  I would really hate to see M'Way go under
>as a result.  I am unaware (my fault, prob'ly) of any other products they
>produce for the Amiga-- are they well-established on other platforms?  Their
>ads are getting scarce in the Amiga rags.

>Just a concerned customer,
>Dave Hopper      |      ///  Yesterday, CS.          | My favorite icebreaker:
>                 |     ///    Today, Anthro/History. | "If you were really my
>bard@jessica.    | \\\///                            | friend, you'd kill me
>   Stanford.EDU  |  \XX/ Tomorrow... bleeding ulcers.| now."

Not to worry.. Microway markets a number of rather powerful (and expensive)
transputer and 'quadputer' boards for the IBM PC.. I don't really know how
many of them they sell, whereas I think the FlickerFixer has probably done
pretty well by them in the Amiga market.  But I'm quite sure that they sell
enough to keep them comfortable in business.

Jonathan Abbey                    (512) 926-5934 | Amiga Programmer Wanna-be
jonabbey@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu        bix: jonabbey +-----------------------------
The University of Texas at Austin - CS Undergrad | Speaking for myself, at best

nsw@cbnewsm.att.com (Neil Weinstock) (06/08/90)

In article <31141@ut-emx.UUCP> jonabbey@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Jonathan Abbey) writes:
>In article <1990Jun7.133716.25812@portia.Stanford.EDU>,
>  bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) writes:
>
>[summary of Microway's plight now that the new denise/AMBER circuitry is out]

[ ... ]
>Not to worry.. Microway markets a number of rather powerful (and expensive)
>transputer and 'quadputer' boards for the IBM PC.. I don't really know how
>many of them they sell, whereas I think the FlickerFixer has probably done
>pretty well by them in the Amiga market.  But I'm quite sure that they sell
>enough to keep them comfortable in business.

The enhanced chipset DOES NOT obsolete the flickerFixer.  The new Denise
provides a graphics mode ("productivity" mode) that gives you flickerless
display of > 400 lines, but it only gives 4 colors out of 64.  With a
flickerFixer, you can get all the normal modes flicker-free.

The A3000 comes with a flickerFixer-like function built in, despite the fact
that it's shipped with the enhanced chipset.  That should tell you something.
This does mean that Microway will not be selling any flickerFixers to A3000
owners.

Though I see productivity mode as a good thing, I'd speculate that flickerFixer
owners will never use it, and that many others will still find themselves
wishing for a flickerFixer.

                                      - Neil

--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--
Neil Weinstock @ AT&T Bell Labs        //     What was sliced bread
att!edsel!nsw or nsw@edsel.att.com   \X/    the greatest thing since?

Rick_R_Kitts@cup.portal.com (06/09/90)

 I've been doing quite a bit of back and forth with MicroWay lately and
can say quite confidently that there is _no_ reason to worry about them
at all. In the first place, FlickerFixers are _not_ going to go away
period. In the second place, MicroWays' primary market, as noted, is
the PC world. Amigas could burst into flames all over the world and they
would be fine. And, BTW, productivity mode is no replacement for a
flickerFixed system.

---Rick

tdesjardins@lion.uwaterloo.ca (Tim Desjardins) (06/10/90)

In article <30649@cup.portal.com> Rick_R_Kitts@cup.portal.com writes:

> I've been doing quite a bit of back and forth with MicroWay lately and
>can say quite confidently that there is _no_ reason to worry about them
>at all. In the first place, FlickerFixers are _not_ going to go away
[ stuff deleted ]
>flickerFixed system.

 So, are they going to release a new, flicker fixer that will de-interlace
the new modes that it can't de-interlace.
 Also, are they going to support more of the overscan screen than they do
now.

  I know, you probably you don't know, but, these are questions FF owners
should be asking. My only complaint with my FF is that I can't use all of
my overscan screen, this will probably be worse on the 3000 when you can't
de-interlace those extra 1280x400 modes and the like.
Judging, by the design of the FF, it is definately not upgradable.
Other than those gripes, I have no complaints.

--
Tim Desjardins.                       tdesjardins@lion.waterloo.{edu|CA}
"It's better to regret something you have done, then to regret something